Freo eyes walker-friendly city

Aushiker

Freo eyes walker-friendly city

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:26 pm

Speed limits in parts of Fremantle could fall to as low as 10km/h and walkers could be encouraged to share the road with motorists under plans to make pedestrians king in the port city.

Motorists have been warned to expect a "slower, less free-flowing way through the central city in the future" as part of an ambitious City of Fremantle draft transport strategy.

On-street parking could also be reclaimed in favour of wider footpaths or green space and developers encouraged to build "car-free" homes.

The long-term strategy is underpinned by the desire to move away from cars as the dominant form of transport, instead prioritising pedestrians, cyclists and public transport - in that order.
Source: West Australian

Andrew

Thoglette

Re: Freo eyes walker-friendly city

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 pm

I remember being in Düsseldorf in the '90s. The suburb I was in had very few homes with garages - mostly if you wanted a garage you'd rent one at a different location (eg behind my hotel). Residential cul de sacs were something like 20kph.

Remaining parking was on-street (where available) but no-one needed a car - Straßenbahn (both at grade and seperated) got you everywhere in my part of town. I did use a bus once - I think to get to one of the forests in the city .

To achieve their "walker" status Freo desperately needs to re-activate the train line from Freo station down to Coogee - perhaps with a mixed electric/storage (eg Citadis Ecopack battery/supercap ) technology to minimise overhead wires (although single wire caternary systems are much less ugly than the highspeed ones on the main lines) or expensive (but safe) automated third rails.

Williams and Citadis are working on a regenerative system too
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Thoglette

Re: Freo eyes walker-friendly city

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Thoglette wrote:I remember being in Düsseldorf in the '90s.
Sadly, since then, the business I was at has been restructured & moved premises, the hotel I stayed in demolished and the brewer of my local altbier has closed.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ