Best Way Across Stirling Highway Near Cottesloe?

Downhill

Best Way Across Stirling Highway Near Cottesloe?

Postby Downhill » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:13 am

What's the best way across Stirling Highway when travelling from Royal Freshwater Bay to Cottesloe in heavy traffic? Google Maps suggests Forrest St. Is that the best way? Are the lights at Leake St a better option? Or is it better to head South to Victoria St?
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

hiflange

Re: Best Way Across Stirling Highway Near Cottesloe?

Postby hiflange » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:37 am

Crossing at Forrest St there's a median strip in the middle of the highway. Leake St is fine. Are you crossing the railway and Curtin Ave as well? Assuming you don't want to mix it with traffic on the highway you'd have to cross the railway at the city end of the Cott Station platform and cross Curtin Ave at Forrest St.

You could always ride straight up Keane St from freshie, take a left on the footpath at the highway and wheel your bike up the pedestrian bridge (there's a track on the bridge specifically for bikes and prams). The bridge takes you over Stirling Highway, the railway and Curtin Ave in one fell swoop and drops you at the bottom of Pearse St. GoogleMaps link

roller

Postby roller » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 am

I would say follow Leake Street - straight through on to Napoleon, then left at the end, right over the railway and on to the beach via Jarrad, Broome, Forrest.

If you go Forrest the whole way you get quite a hill to deal with, the Jarrad, Broome, Forrest method avoids this.
inflammatory statement or idea

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:58 pm

I ride home via Cottesloe (west perth to bicton)

the safest route I find is along Bay View Terrace past the bowls club. Right onto Victoria Street and just follow that all the way until it hits Stirling hwy next to the Caltex Petrol station (just watch the round abouts as your sight lines are not very good and people fly through them at that time of the afternoon). you can then get straight across the railway line at the traffic lights. However, you are at the southern end of cottesloe. I then ride up broome street to swanbourne and come back down the coast.

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for your replies - this is is all good info! Yes, I'll be crossing the railway and Curtin Ave as well.

What about crossing Stirling Highway at the Glyde St lights, then crossing the railway at the North end of Mosman Park Station? I don't mind riding in traffic providing I can go with the flow.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:28 am

If you don't mind mixing with some traffic your Glyde St option would be OK. I'd skip the ped crossing at Mossie Park Station as it will only save you 50m of highway riding and you'll just end up crossing Curtin Ave as a pedestrian; just ride to Salvado and cross there. There's a median strip so you can take it in two bites if it's busy.

I live in Cott halfway between Mosman Park and Cottesloe stations. All the options presented here are good. Ultimately it depends on which part of Cott you're trying to get to and how comfortable you are with cars and hills :D