Macrae Road Cycling Route Review - City of Melville

Aushiker

Macrae Road Cycling Route Review - City of Melville

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:51 pm

How do we provide a safe environment for riders using Macrae Road? There have been 14 rider related collisions resulting in injuries along this stretch of road through Applecross over the last five years. This is far in excess of any other suburban 50km/h street in the City of Melville. The City of Melville wishes to engage the community and cycling organisations in discussions to help plan a strategy to address the bicycle road trauma.

The City of Melville has appointed a consulting company to conduct a study to review the existing cycle route on Macrae Road and prepare a final drawing in consultation with stakeholders. Macrae Road is currently a Perth Bicycle Network (PBN) Route SW5. As part of the study the Consulting Company will review the ...

The Community Workshop will be held on
Date: Wednesday, 19 November 2014
Time: 7.00pm to 9.00pm
Venue: Athena Room, LeisureFit Melville, cnr Stock Rd and Canning Hwy, Melville
Source: City of Melville.

There are four proposed concepts at the above link. There is an option to vote on them. Thanks to the Bicycle Transport Alliance for the heads-up.

Andrew

Red Rider

Re: Macrae Road Cycling Route Review - City of Melville

Postby Red Rider » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Well done Melville for looking at solutions. I think it needs more data to understand the typical routes of people on bikes around here. Is this a priority route? Are there other north/south priority routes that need to be considered in the overall scheme?

I can't tell the difference between Concepts 4 & 2. One of them says there needs to be an alternative cycle route, but they both have the same road changes. Anyone able to enlighten me?
Concept 4 also mentions a park crossing, no detail though.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:50 pm

Route 1 looks best to me. Roundabouts and bikes are not a good idea. Best setup I've seen so far is in Banksia Tce Kensington. Was well impressed with it.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

mixitup

Postby mixitup » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Wow-- good they are doing something (well thinking about it). This road gets a lot of use from cyclists commuting to the city from Fremantle. The river shared path has some un-road bike friendly sections so it is a busy route. I live on this road so use it often.
They've already added some traffic slowing like concept 3 to one of the roundabouts at Addross st. This was a positive change as some drivers would come through there at speed.

On the whole I find drivers pretty good (leaving good clearance when passing) as it's a known cycling route. But to me there are a few main problems:
1) Its a busy rat run in morning peak hour (other times is pretty quiet). Lots of cars detour through there to avoid Canning Hwy and some speed as there are long straight sections.
2) The angle of the road with the sun in the mornings can be very bad at certain times of the year (ie drivers are looking directly into the sun limiting vision) when travelling East. Having driven the road many times I know it can be very difficult to see. Personally I take a different route when this happens to change the angle but I see many others who don't....
3) There are lots of cross roads with people turning onto Macrae... and some people aren't very good at looking when they pull out. But the visibility on the corners is good (houses have large setbacks)--- this is a driver thing not the road.

Don't think there is much that can be done about road angle-- so to me any solution needs to limit the rat run-- or get cyclists away from them. Traffic is predominantly one way at the worst time (mornings) so I'm not so sure the one way thing will change much. So maybe concept 4 - but need to think about it a bit.

mixitup

Postby mixitup » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Red Rider wrote:Well done Melville for looking at solutions. I think it needs more data to understand the typical routes of people on bikes around here. Is this a priority route? Are
Concept 4 also mentions a park crossing, no detail though.
This road stops at the Gairloch st oval so cars can't travel straight through. There is an existing pedestrian path that crosses the park - but it would need an upgrade to handle bikes. Kinross rd has a few stop signs on it -- so unless they changed those priorities as well this "new route" would mean having to stop nearly every block--- not ideal.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Red Rider wrote:One of them says there needs to be an alternative cycle route, but they both have the same road changes. Anyone able to enlighten me?
I assumed that was the route in blue.

Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:31 pm

This would be a perfect opportunity to create a bicycle boulevard. I.e. option one, but also drop the speed on this road to 30kmh. The only reason there is a problem on this road is rat running. By making it a bicycle boulevard, but a the same time turning all the priorities in favour of the cyclists travelling on this stretch you achieve a safe environment for all vulnerable road users.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:30 am

Channel 9 News story:

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:22 pm

My favorite option would be for Macrae Road to become a "bicycle boulevard" along the lines outlined in this video from Portland

Below are the comments that the BTA sent in.

concept 1 Gives a mixed message – invites car drivers to practise how fast they can negotiate “slow” points. There is the possibility of cars swerving into cyclists after negotiating the narrowing obstacles, and cars queuing to pass might do so in the space needed by people on bicycle, forcing cyclists to ride (illegally) on the footpath. As most of the traffic will travel East in the morning, the calming effect might be minimal. No
concept 2 It is doubtful if white paint on the road is enough to control the cars. As most of the traffic will travel East in the morning, cars will be tempted to roll through the give way signs. Seems to be a recipe to increase accidents, and the calming effect might be minimal
No
concept 3 The pre-deflection will force cars into a driving manoeuvre that will endanger cyclists whilst approaching the roundabout. The only safe measure for cyclists would be for them to “claim the lane”, that is riding in primary position as they approach the roundabout. My personal experience is that car drivers become irate when this happens, which can lead to aggressive driving and the endangering of the more vulnerable road users. No
concept 4 Seems to be a recipe to increase accidents, generally white paint on the road is not enough to control cars….
The relocated bike route disadvantages cyclists by making them go further, and the profile is somewhat hillier. The new bicycle route would have to give priority to cyclists all the way to make it more attractive. No
concept 5 OK in principle, except that the intersection priorities should favour Macrae road, so cyclists can continue without stopping. Not doing so will inadvertently prioritise cars over bicycles at this intersection. However to make the priority for the cyclists safe, the car traffic on Gairloch street would need to be slowed with the help of speed bumps.
Perhaps more than one cul-de-sac is needed along the route? See comments below. Modify and it becomes a perhaps
concept 6 Similar effect to option 5. The deflection for cyclists should be less, and both Macrae and Gairloch would need markings to indicate that cyclists will be crossing the road at speed. The cycling route should be marked with green paint to motorists a visual clue where they will encounter people on bicycles. Dealing with only one crossing along the whole length of Macrae road might not be enough to stop the rat-running Modify and it becomes a “Yes”

Comment: None of the options work well for people on bicycles. The preferred option from a cycling point of view is option 6, modified as explained. It is probably advisable to have more than one divergence point, or in heavy traffic the rat run will simply start east of the treated cross road.

Whilst we appreciate that the primary reason for the suggested measures is to stop rat-running, an opportunity presents itself here for a road that gives priority to children, older people, people on gopher cars and people riding bicycles. In some otherwise car centred communities in the USA the concept of “bicycle boulevards” has been used successfully to increase the quality of life for rate payers. The concept is explained here: https://vimeo.com/16552771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Using the concept explained in the video a mid-crossing concrete curb with pass-through for cyclists would be installed at most of the Macrae road intersections. This would allow for unimpeded travel for people on bicycles, but force all car traffic to turn left or right. Such a measure would decrease car volumes substantially. Alternatively the divergence method shown in concept 6 could be used at multiple location. As a trial the divergences could be constructed cheaply out of normal water filled traffic control barriers.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!