Cyclist Hit Kings Park this morning

dampier

Re: Cyclist Hit Kings Park this morning

Postby dampier » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:33 pm

She was only identified as a 70 year old South Perth resident. Unfortunately it is a case of no news is good news, seems to be standard for non fatal accidents.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:12 pm

dampier wrote:She was only identified as a 70 year old South Perth resident. Unfortunately it is a case of no news is good news, seems to be standard for non fatal accidents.
Yep .. details posted three days ago.

Jackass

hooman

Postby hooman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:14 pm

One good thing...

She was originally reported as a 50 year old until they identified her to actually be 70.
Another proof that cycling keeps you young.

I truly wish a full recovery and whatever is justice to be done.

Regards to the family too.
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

dampier

Postby dampier » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:
dampier wrote:She was only identified as a 70 year old South Perth resident. Unfortunately it is a case of no news is good news, seems to be standard for non fatal accidents.

Jackass
Just being polite and replying to Colin's query, please read the thread in context.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:50 pm

dampier wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Jackass
Just being polite and replying to Colin's query, please read the thread in context.
All I have done is agreed with you and linked back to the details posted previously, i.e., provided context to your response or more specifically one source supporting your comments. :roll:

If you reacting to my signing off my my post as "Jackass" you might want to read here for the context and reason I am using the label which is also in my signature. If that bothers you so be it; take it up with Colin.

Cheers
Jackass, aka "Andrew"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:
dampier wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Jackass
All I have done is agreed with you and linked back to the details posted previously, i.e., provided context to your response or more specifically one source supporting your comments. :roll:

If you reacting to my signing off my my post as "Jackass" you might want to read here for the context and reason I am using the label which is also in my signature. If that bothers you so be it; take it up with Colin.

Cheers
Jackass, aka "Andrew"
Huh? I have no idea what has Jackass to do with whatever I said wherever. I'm confused. :?

Where's my lawyer? :twisted:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:03 pm

The sad news has just been reported on radio that the lady has died. RIP.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Sad news indead.

Strangely, contrary to the initial reporting on Wednesday that she was hit from behind, the latest report says she was coming from the opposite direction.
The woman, from South Perth, was riding a black Avanti bicycle on Kings Park Road between Havelock Street and Colin Street when she collided with a Toyota RAV4, coming from the opposite direction.
It just goes to further support the comments here that you can't prejudge responsibility from what is reported in the press. The latest news, if true, might possibly reduce the burden of responsibility, at least in some part, away from the car driver.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Every time a person on a bicycle gets run over and dies on our roads many, many people stop cycling on our roads. The token actions on cycling safety from all levels of government in West Australia are a disgrace in the context of all people having a right to share public space safely.
The government thinks an underfunded “behaviour change” campaign will shut us up. Write to the Transport Minister, Dean Nalder (Dean.Nalder@mp.wa.gov.au), AND the Premier, Colin Barnett (wa-government@dpc.wa.gov.au), AND your local member (http://www.wa.liberal.org.au/representative-intro/810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and tell them they have to do more.

People riding bicycles need a safe and effective network of road and shared paths, integrated with public transport nodes, making cycling the dominant means of short distance transport and the norm for getting to school. Riding a bicycle should be an everyday activity that can be done without special clothing or equipment needs, and without fear.

What we need is:

Investment in cycling safety:

At least 3% of the state transport budget is for cycling safety, to be invested in both infrastructure and safety awareness campaigns (or $20 per head per year? Or $40m??)
-Extensive 30kmh zones around schools and selected suburban roads.
-New road infrastructure projects, or major changes to road infrastructure, must take cycling needs and safety into account

Improving the legal environment for people riding bicycles:

- Legislated safe passing distance of 1 or 1.5 meters.
-“Strict liability” laws, where the larger/stronger road user is deemed responsible for crashes and bears the burden of proof.
-All cyclists permitted to use footpaths at reasonable speed.

Steering committee to make bicycle friendly communities

A bi-partisan body similar to the Ministerial Committee for Road Safety directs and monitors spatial planning, infrastructure, education and health actions that ensure safe cycling growth. The body establishes and monitors targets set out in a state wide long-term cycling plan

Cycling awareness

-Cycling needs and laws are part of every driving test.
-Cycling education including on bike and on road skills is mandatory in primary and secondary schools

We do not need a pissing contest amongst people riding bicycles on finessing what is required. We DO need bike riders to speak up for themselves and their families...
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Well said Heinrich.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:21 pm

citywomble wrote:Sad news indead.

Strangely, contrary to the initial reporting on Wednesday that she was hit from behind, the latest report says she was coming from the opposite direction.
The woman, from South Perth, was riding a black Avanti bicycle on Kings Park Road between Havelock Street and Colin Street when she collided with a Toyota RAV4, coming from the opposite direction.
This is very sad news indeed ... thoughts with her family.

Jon, do you have a link to the report you quoted? The last newspaper story I saw said she was hit from behind.

Andrew

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:58 pm

An update on this story but with very scant details.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/254 ... rth-crash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Condolences to her friends and relatives.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:Jon, do you have a link to the report you quoted? The last newspaper story I saw said she was hit from behind.
WA Today says she was struck by a vehicle heading the other way.

Perth Now says she was struck from behind.

Both the articles were written today.

EDIT: The original WA Today article on the accident shows the front wheel detached from the frame and in one piece whereas the rear rim has been snapped and badly deformed which would be consistent with a hit from behind.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Heartbreaking news.
Scott_C wrote:EDIT: The original WA Today article on the accident shows the front wheel detached from the frame and in one piece whereas the rear rim has been snapped and badly deformed which would be consistent with a hit from behind.
That was my first thought, there is no way it was a head-on with the front wheel still as true as new in that photo.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:03 am

Red Rider wrote:Heartbreaking news.
Scott_C wrote:EDIT: The original WA Today article on the accident shows the front wheel detached from the frame and in one piece whereas the rear rim has been snapped and badly deformed which would be consistent with a hit from behind.
That was my first thought, there is no way it was a head-on with the front wheel still as true as new in that photo.
It is possible (one scenario anyway) if one or both vehicles swerved leading to the cyclist effectively being hit from the side missing the front wheel and colliding at a shallow angle at say the cranks, this would fit with the location of the smashed windscreen on the passenger side. and then running over the rear wheel and the front wheel torn out of the forks b the impact

A very sad day for the lady and family. Also for the motorist (yes I have some sympathy for all involved until full details are forthcoming).

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:22 am

The West Australian has published a follow up article about the victim of the incident, a former Curtin University professor and includes an interview with her partner. The article indicates it was a (alleged) hit from behind.

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:30 pm

she lived a life well lived and achieved magnificent things by the sound of it... its all much deeper and much broader than road user behaviour..i suspect it much more about our culture, our interaction with each other, our lack of respect and care for and about each other...its not limited to cars v bike..quite regularly it is bike v bike and bike v cars... even my own dear old dad, who i have seen do really silly stuff around bikes, turns into a monster when the subject of cyclists come up and he know how much i love my riding... the bike lane along gt eastern hwy has done amazing things but i still get close calls from passing vehicles...not nearly has much as before but....strangely it is usually by hot sinister cars, tradie vehicles, buses and trucks when it does happen now...
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Associate Professor Paola Ferroni and triathlon champion Brynt McSwain were both experienced, confident people used to ride their bicycles on the road, by themselves.
Yet both were run over from behind by a car travelling in the same direction.
We need to work towards an environment where people in Perth have “transport freedom”, where it is safe to choose a bicycle, or walking, or public transport or a car to travel to school, work, train station or the shops.
At the moment it feels like you need to use your car to travel safely.
Is this the best we can do?
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm

CycleSnail wrote:At the moment it feels like you need to use your car to travel safely.
I have a few family associates who, while driving, have been hit from behind by a car driver who "didn't see" that they were stopped and indicating to turn right.

I personally have had someone reverse across an intersection into the driver's side door of my car. Plus the more normal right-hand-turn-into-oncoming-traffic with the usual results.

So it's not just cyclists. SMIDSY applies across the board.

On a positive note (and over the time frame of decades) the vast majority of road users are more accomodating (and sober) than they used to be.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:27 pm

Thoglette wrote:I have a few family associates who, while driving, have been hit from behind by a car driver who "didn't see" that they were stopped and indicating to turn right.
This is exactly how I was forced into cycle commuting. Was waiting to make a right hand turn, and was rear-ended by a car doing virtually the speed limit on the 60kph road. Broad daylight, straight road, and I'd been sitting there for a good 10-15 seconds before I was hit. And yeah, brake and signal lights were all working fine. Guy was on his phone, didn't notice I was waiting to turn until he was just a few metres from my car. Totaled my car, I kept the insurance payout and decided to try riding to the train station, and the cycle commuting bug got me good after that.

Tiny bit of karma, out of the three cars in the accident, the guy that hit me and caused it all was the only one with any sort of injury, and I'm pretty sure it's because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt either.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Major Crash Investigators have charged a 41-year-old woman in relation to a serious crash in West Perth on November 5.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... sts-death/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charged with Dangerous Driving Occasioning Death and will appear in court Jan 13th 2015.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:28 pm

archetuthus wrote:Charged with Dangerous Driving Occasioning Death and will appear in court Jan 13th 2015.
Noted in my calendar for follow-up ...

Andrew

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:43 pm

this is good... it has been on mind why a charge had not been laid for some time... sad and stressful for the criminal driver involved but a life was taken...however for her at the end of the day the penalty won't reflect the crime committed because she, the offender will, as is usual, try to lie their way out of, or try to mitigate it down...the burden of proof should be reversed when it comes to hurting someone on a bicycle, a motorbike, or a pedestrian because all too often the only witness is the criminal and their victim and it is too easy to get away with it just by saying nothing or by lying about the circumstances....
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:43 pm

crazioldjane wrote: sad and stressful for the criminal driver involved but a life was taken...however for her at the end of the day the penalty won't reflect the crime committed because she, the offender will, as is usual, try to lie their way out of, or try to mitigate it down...
How do you know? Do you know her?

Absolute tradegy but let's get the facts first instead of making generalisations.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 pm

archetuthus wrote:Charged with Dangerous Driving Occasioning Death and will appear in court Jan 13th 2015.
In the Magistrates Court so if I understand this correctly it will simply be a hearing leading to the matter being heard in the District Court or higher as it is an indictable offence. So nothing much is likely to happen on January 13.

Also came across this document at the DPP website ... interesting reading, more so as I recall the incident.

Andrew