World City Planning Expert says we need to make Perth ...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:43 am

more liveable.
Perth is known for its urban sprawl - up the coast, down the coast... it could take you hours (depending on traffic) to take you right from one end to the other.

Former chief planner for Vancouver, Brent Toderain, says we need to change. It's not just about lifestyle, it's not just about being stuck in a car, it's about being economically clever as well.

He says we need to sprawl less and drive less. He says we need to begin building upwards and create public transport systems and communities to support that.

Vancouver is called the most liveable city in the world, and Mr Toderain says it is not too late to make Perth more liveable.
Source and link to audio: ABC 720

Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Re: World City Planning Expert says we need to make Perth ..

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Aushiker wrote:more liveable.
Perth is known for its urban sprawl - up the coast, down the coast... it could take you hours (depending on traffic) to take you right from one end to the other.

Former chief planner for Vancouver, Brent Toderain, says we need to change. It's not just about lifestyle, it's not just about being stuck in a car, it's about being economically clever as well.

He says we need to sprawl less and drive less. He says we need to begin building upwards and create public transport systems and communities to support that.

Vancouver is called the most liveable city in the world, and Mr Toderain says it is not too late to make Perth more liveable.
Source and link to audio: ABC 720

Andrew
In fairness it should be pointed out that "most liveable" and similar titles are highly volatile and are also plucke d out of the air at personal convenience. As I think is the case here.

The latest awards put Perth has been at number nine internationally, and Melbourne the top gong. Vancouver cames in at 3 jus tin front of Toronto.

However his thoughts are exactly aligned with my long term view. Hope he gets some traction.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:59 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: However his thoughts are exactly aligned with my long term view. Hope he gets some traction.
When the West is giving them multiple multi page spreads, he's getting traction. Can it can be sustained through an election & budget cycle, now there's the rub
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Thoglette wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote: However his thoughts are exactly aligned with my long term view. Hope he gets some traction.
When the West is giving them multiple multi page spreads, he's getting traction. Can it can be sustained through an election & budget cycle, now there's the rub
If the current Victorian election is anything to go by I am not so sure :( .

Andrew

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 am

Its just the same old agenda 21 talk talk talk

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Having lived in Perth for many years, and currently living in a city that is always nearish or atop those "most liveable cities" lists (Melbourne) I have to say this this stuff is complex.

Firstly, don't believe (all) the hype. Most of the 'most liveable cities' stuff is based on a pretty slim spectrum of factors - the Economist goes on compensation payable for a major multinational CEO to relocate or some such. Melbourne has many suburbs that are as sh1tty as Clarkson or Medina, and probably even more so. People living in those suburbs are not finding life all that liveable.

Secondly, don't downplay the impact of history and environment. Let's not forget Melbourne was one of the most wealthy cities in the world at one point during our gold rush. And that was all before this Federation thing which meant those spoils didn't need to be shared with Tasmania or the NT. Ok - people still needed to make good urban planning choices but there was money to support that. Perth has grown up poor, and making cheap housing available to low income earning people has set the template for the city. Environment: there's a reason you do most of your cycle touring in the non-summer months Aushiker. And you can't change that easily.

Lastly (and I know this is getting long now), god life in Melbourne is good. I'm gonna go for a ride now, and visit some of my other good-life living friends. I love it here.

E
Last edited by Espresso_ on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:20 pm

I guess the hard part is getting the average Joe to want what these experts believe we need.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3