Fremantle to Osborne Park route advice

chuckchunder

Fremantle to Osborne Park route advice

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi all

I have to attend an appointment in the middle of a weekday in Walters Dr Osborne Park, from work in Fremantle. googlemaps wants me to go up the railway and then Selby St, Herdsman Pde and John Sanders. Streetview doesn't look promising. I rarely venture t'other side, so any locals who can give me an idea if this is OK on the bike or provide suggestions/alternatives would be greatly rewarded (I'll fax you a Mars bar).

cheers
chuck
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Thoglette

Re: Fremantle to Osborne Park route advice

Postby Thoglette » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:12 pm

It's not to bad and going railway avoids the otherwise inevitable and daunting coastal dune climb.

You can go around the outside of Herdsman lake on the mixture of sealed shared path and unsealed tracks (and quiet back streets to avoid Pearson/Herdsman). Go twos road east to avoid the worst of selby street - perhaps stay on the PSP until Daglish and then use Jersey st to get to the swamp.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi Chuck,
Selby is dual carriageway so should be okay most times of the day. I have never ridden it in peak hour traffic.

Have a look at Railway to McCallum/Troy/Jersey/Herdsman/Jon Sanders. Jersey is single lane.

Once you are on Herdsman parade you can turn into Moondine and then the path around the lake as it comes out on Jon Sanders.

Cheers
Brad
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:09 pm

If you have plenty of time you could ride up the railway PSP to Thomas Street, cross over to the Mitchell Freeway PSP (Leederville) up to Powis Street- then the only dodgy bit would be the freeway offramp onto Powis Street, Jon Sanders has it's own Shared Path also. This wouldn't take much more time and mean minimal vehicle interaction

Otherwise Selby (or Jersey) is not too bad, going backroads means you then have to cross fairly busy roads with little protection.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:58 am

I used to live in Churchlands and rode to Fremantle (and north to Joondalup). My route from Fremantle to Churchlands and then north had me taking the Fremantle PSP to Daglish train station, then into MacCullum Ave (basically cross the road from the train station), right into Troy Terrace then immediately left into Jersey Street. Stick with Jersey Street till Herdsman Parade. Turn right into Herdsman (shoulder) till Jon Sanders Drive. There is a good shared use path alongside Jo Sanders Drive. The only possible hassle is crossing Grantham Street but it is a school zone so if riding at that time of day the traffic slows and frankly I had little trouble for all the years I rode it. There are no other intersections of concern on Jersey.

There is no point in going with Selby when Jersey is much more friendly traffic wise unless it has been become a rat runner's paradise recently. Add to this that Selby is not dual carriageway for a fair bit of it and it can get quite busy north of Cambridge.

Andrew

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:40 pm

+1 for Jersey St. From there, Herdsman Pde is usually OK, but Moondine is a good alternative too. The path around the Eastern side of the lake is quite scenic, though there are few walkers.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6