Some GoPro from a Crit Last weekend

JB

Some GoPro from a Crit Last weekend

Postby JB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Some local races were held last weekend at Bentley Tech Park - there races for Grades A to E.

Here is some footage from D grade. Enjoy :-)

http://youtu.be/HMong04Lsj0

Pravda

Re: Some GoPro from a Crit Last weekend

Postby Pravda » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Woo hoo sprinting from the hoods!
Great footage!
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Oh cool. I'm about to do my first crit tomorrow in d grade and that has intimidated me somewhat- they look quick to my noobie self. I watched one race from the sidelines and d grade didn't look that fast so either the club I went to is slower or the action can footage makes it seem quicker.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Can you share any more detail with us please, JB?

Obviously the race lasted for 23 odd minutes, but what was the average speed or distance covered?
How hard where you pushing at various points of the race? Fullish on for most of it or?
How did you place?

I have never raced before, but I have been interested or starting to take a bit more interest.
Might come down and watch this weekend... Its on for the next couple Sundays yeah?

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Dirty32 wrote:Can you share any more detail with us please, JB?

Obviously the race lasted for 23 odd minutes, but what was the average speed or distance covered?
How hard where you pushing at various points of the race? Fullish on for most of it or?
How did you place?

I have never raced before, but I have been interested or starting to take a bit more interest.
Might come down and watch this weekend... Its on for the next couple Sundays yeah?
Definitely come down mate, it's a good one for spectators. These crits are your best bet... racing E or D grade.

D grade from memory is 20 mins plus two laps. I don't know anyone who raced D Grade but a bloke i follow on strava raced the same series last year. Here's a strava file: http://www.strava.com/activities/101321915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crits are generally full gas from the get go but I find (in B grade at least) they tend to slow down in the middle and then speed up at the end.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

JB

Postby JB » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:39 am

ok the footage is actually from a 13 yr old junior rider from the Midland Cycling Club (i'm one of the coaches).
He came 6th.

He said it was a lot of fun and will do it again whenever the next one is run.

this footage is a great coaching tool for others i think. i can show where riders were in particular cornering less effeciently etc.

garmin stats:
av speed: 36.9
dist:14.2km
elapsed tim: 23 min

the best way to learn though is by giving it a go yourself. the footage does make it seem a bit faster i think.

love to get a front camera as well.

cornering safely and holding your line as you corner is one of the biggest lessons to take on board.

it a major cause of crashes on this crit course.

there were on the otherhand zero crashes last sunday that i'm aware of.

day licences are available as well i think so you can just rock up and ride.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Cool, thanks guys. Not bad going for a 13 year old!

Yeah - might come down this saturday for a look around and a watch.
What time are the races starting?

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Here's some details of the crits:

https://www.facebook.com/events/910248612336626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was my first crit too and it was great fun, I highly recommend anyone considering to try crit racing to come down and participate this Sunday. It's a really relaxed atmosphere and there's so much to learn. Very inspirational too watching the C, B and A-graders fly by on the main straight.

D-Grade starts at 7:20am but allow 30 mins for registration and preparation (bib and transponder, warmup).

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 pm

JB wrote:ok the footage is actually from a 13 yr old junior rider from the Midland Cycling Club (i'm one of the coaches).
He came 6th.

garmin stats:
av speed: 36.9
dist:14.2km
elapsed tim: 23 min

Strong D-Grade!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 pm

JB wrote:
cornering safely and holding your line as you corner is one of the biggest lessons to take on board.

I was scared watching all those guys cornering on the hoods. Who rides a crit on the hoods? Downright dangerous, centre of gravity too high, compromised braking, plus they were all sitting up so high their chests were catching the wind like a spinnaker.
The young kid on the Dolan with the pink socks was the only one who was actually following wheels, cornering correctly and riding with his hands in the drops. I think he got dropped after about 6 or 7 minutes and was lapped towards the end ...but at least he was skilled up and will improve and get better. The others were all lessons in what not to do - riding on the hoods, not on the wheel, not moving forward, not aware of riders inside and outside of them when cornering ...
It was an uneventful race. The kid with the GoPro seemed to be going okay, was doing some little surges out of corners, couldn't see if he was at the front or on a wheel but he was near the front all race which was good. Yeah a front facing camera would be better from a coaching point of view.
The sooner those young ones can move up a grade away from the dangerous old blokes the better!
Thanks for posting

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Yeah it's definitely a case of two worlds colliding in D Grade - the old blokes and the teens. This weekends was a bit slower without the Wembley Cycles kids who pushed from the get go. But everyone should have a crack. It really is a lot of fun. Easy to roll up and sign up - you can buy a day or three day pass if you don't have cycling australia membership. Coffee available and loos. Pick up a timer chip and a number and off you go. Choose your own grade. A little bit of climbing and two corners on each lap. My heart rate is pretty much max all the way round. Some of the dads in D grade have kids riding in other grades - under 14 group or even the under 11 girls race which had three contestants yesterday and is growing every week. Definitely going to try and get my daughter into that. Lot of fun. No hassles. Very relaxed event. Come down and give it a try in D Grade for the next two Sundays at 7.20. Then in January Masters crits at Claremont showground on wednesday nights promises to continue the action.

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Looks like it's not Masters racing on Wednesdays at Claremont in January but A, B and C Grades for everyone. Will have a crack at C and see if I can hang on for a while. Hopefully people will move up grades a bit given there is no D Grade.

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Peel District has crits nearly every weekend over Summer as well, if you are able to visit Rockingham/Mandurah (depends on where the race is each week).

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:06 pm

I actually popped down for a watch yesterday...
Enjoyed it.

Although, I did get there later than I had hoped and caught the latter of the last womens race, the B and A grade mens.
The lads in A & B certainly pump it around there... Kinda scared me a bit actually, looks intimidating.

I was hoping to get down there for D, so I didnt get to see how that looked from the sidelines and it could be a completely different pace / atmosphere.

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 pm

jonhanson wrote:Looks like it's not Masters racing on Wednesdays at Claremont in January but A, B and C Grades for everyone. Will have a crack at C and see if I can hang on for a while. Hopefully people will move up grades a bit given there is no D Grade.
Awesome, do you have more info about this? Which club is running it?
wizzfizz wrote:Peel District has crits nearly every weekend over Summer as well, if you are able to visit Rockingham/Mandurah (depends on where the race is each week).
Here's a schedule for those interested:
http://pdcc.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... hedule.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They race in Kwinana, Rockingham and Mandurah.

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:34 pm

The Wed night Claremont Showground crits are run by Rocket Events (not sure exactly who they are) and you can find them on Facebook at Rocket Twilight Series.

Dirty32 I agree that A and B Grade are pretty intense. Rest assured D Grade is nothing like that. Come join in. The old fellas are very welcoming. It's a totally different feel. 7.20 next Sunday we'll expect you on the start line. Worst that can happen is you can fall off the back. Happened to me the first week.

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
JB wrote:

I was scared watching all those guys cornering on the hoods. Who rides a crit on the hoods? Downright dangerous, centre of gravity too high, compromised braking, plus they were all sitting up so high their chests were catching the wind like a spinnaker.
I'm not sure if it's just a function of the course but lots of people riding on the hoods in C grade also. The rhythm of the racing there is slow through the corners then full gas out and then slow again into the next...it's not very fluid so you seem to spend quite a bit of time on the brakes.