Freeway Bike Hike 2015

kx315

Freeway Bike Hike 2015

Postby kx315 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Its on again different routes for this one.....

http://www.freewaybikehike.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

dmwill

Re: Freeway Bike Hike 2015

Postby dmwill » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Looks like they're a little more organised than last one. Seem to recall everything being put into place no more than a month prior!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 pm

so the 75km route is the freeway from Currambine to Mandurah then the train back?
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

kx315

Postby kx315 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Thomas road is the start heading north, turn at Hodges Drive back south then
through the tunnel finishing in Wellington Square in the city.
Last edited by kx315 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Giant Cross City 2

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:07 pm

flashpixx wrote:so the 75km route is the freeway from Currambine to Mandurah then the train back?
Interesting, the map states Kwinana Station to Whitfords then turn around 1km after back to the city but I'm curious to know how that'll be managed as only the southbound Freeway lanes will be shut. I suppose the freeway is wider further up now so narrowing it to 1 lane north / 2 lanes south or vice versa would work.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:16 pm

kx315 wrote:Thomas Street is the start heading north, turn at Hodges Drive back south then
through the tunnel finishing in Wellington Square in the city.
Thanks... I couln't find a map on the website but that doesn't mean there isn't one... :?

I guess heading Nth from Thomas means the bike path or one lane of the freeway closed? Nothing mentioned about the north bound freeway being closed to traffic.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

kx315

Postby kx315 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:23 pm

No they will shutdown one side of the freeway as in past years......its dangerous enough with all of those lanes there is no way you could use the cycle path :shock:
2012 Giant Cross City 2

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Just to clarify, they are referring to Thomas ROAD in Kwinana, not Thomas STREET (Loftus Street) at Leederville. That had me pretty confused.

kx315

Postby kx315 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 pm

wellington_street wrote:Just to clarify, they are referring to Thomas ROAD in Kwinana, not Thomas STREET (Loftus Street) at Leederville. That had me pretty confused.
:oops: :oops: :oops: yes my bad corrected post, link to map below;

http://d12bpdlobcyps1.cloudfront.net/up ... 142711.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Giant Cross City 2

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Trepidious wrote:
flashpixx wrote:so the 75km route is the freeway from Currambine to Mandurah then the train back?
Interesting, the map states Kwinana Station to Whitfords then turn around 1km after back to the city but I'm curious to know how that'll be managed as only the southbound Freeway lanes will be shut. I suppose the freeway is wider further up now so narrowing it to 1 lane north / 2 lanes south or vice versa would work.
There will be one carriageway of the freeway closed, assume the southbound if last year is anything to go by. Then the cyclists travel north, keeping left, therefore effectively in the fast lane of the southbound carriageway, and when they turn they'll then come back south on the southbound carriageway, effectively in the left lane. That way they'll be able to leave the freeway to go through the tunnel with no issues.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:53 pm

kx315 wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Just to clarify, they are referring to Thomas ROAD in Kwinana, not Thomas STREET (Loftus Street) at Leederville. That had me pretty confused.
:oops: :oops: :oops: yes my bad corrected post, link to map below;

http://d12bpdlobcyps1.cloudfront.net/up ... 142711.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No worries - the Bike Hike website makes the same mistake which is what confused me even more :)

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Robinho wrote:
Trepidious wrote:
There will be one carriageway of the freeway closed, assume the southbound if last year is anything to go by. Then the cyclists travel north, keeping left, therefore effectively in the fast lane of the southbound carriageway, and when they turn they'll then come back south on the southbound carriageway, effectively in the left lane. That way they'll be able to leave the freeway to go through the tunnel with no issues.
Overly negative on my part, I wasn't aware they'd done this before. I wonder how some of the larger groups I remember from the ride would handle the 180 degree turn but I'm sure common sense will work itself out.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:42 am

Trepidious wrote: but I'm sure common sense will work itself out.
Oh tee hee hee! (yes, I'm cynical)

I'll only be riding it if someone's paying for my fees and kit.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Aah, they set the date to honour my birthday again. :mrgreen:

If I don't feel 63 when I wake up I probably will after the ride.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

numloxx

Postby numloxx » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi all,

I've only just started road cycling, after many years of occasionally riding my mountain bike. Pushing around 20+ kg of metal was not very motivating, so I changed to a road bike (Just a cheap Reid Cycle Osprey Elite, don't laugh at me, it does the job, and it's in my budget that I can afford).

I've set the Freeway Bike Hike as a goal for next month, and am looking forward to it. The most I've done so far is a 54km ride around Whiteman Park, and a 74km cycle around the river (Maylands, City, UWA, Nedlands etc, Fremantle, East Fremantle, Bicton, Applecross, South Perth, Burswood). I try to do a 20-30km ride 2-3 times a week.

I'm wondering if there are any tips and advice that people can give me, for somebody just starting out in road cycling. Diet, exercises, stretches etc. I have a fair idea, but any websites or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again.

Carsten.
Oh, and if you would like to make a donation towards my ride, please feel free to :) Every little bit helps.
https://telethonfreewaybikehike.everyda ... au/carsten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Ride - Reid Osprey Elite 2014 (Don't laugh). Shimano R540 pedals with Shimano R088 shoes.

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Take a HRM if you have one and keep your heart rate in check early. It's easy to overcook yourself at the start and bonk or barely make it, especially if you get overexcited and try chase the fast riders

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 pm

I bonked doing the 30km ride from Kwinana in 2013, hadn't ridden in a group before and ended up leading a line of riders for about 6km up to the top of the hill at the Roe Highway entrance. It was a long and lonely ride from there into the city until we got to the Narrows and some of the Mandurah groups came through and I got onto the back of one.

I came back and did the ~80km ride last year (city to Lukin Drive and back) and made sure to keep my nose out of the wind/rotate the lead and had an easy time of it (except for the section directly into the Easterly headwind). I'd also had a few months group riding practice.

numloxx

Postby numloxx » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know I'll probably be excited and race ahead at the start, so I'll pace myself. I'll be in the 30km/h hour group, so guessing it'll be the first group to start. Toying with the idea of putting clips on instead of pedals next week, but not sure if I can get used to them in time....
A work mate told me to do 2-3 very long rides this week, and rest next week and only do short rides. Is that good advice to follow?
My Ride - Reid Osprey Elite 2014 (Don't laugh). Shimano R540 pedals with Shimano R088 shoes.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:53 am

I think 3 long rides this week would be pushing it, 2 would probably be doable. The 30kph group will start last as the faster groups start first (so they don't have to overtake the slower riders).

I personally would not change to clips with only 2 weeks to learn, I was in a similar situation last year with the 98km Santos River Ride and stuck with my flats due to not wanting to have a clip stack and be run over by following riders.

Looking at the route there will be a couple of slow spots where you may end up needing to get a foot down in a hurry. Firstly, exiting Kwinana Station the road is wider at the exit from the starting pens than it is exiting the station and similarly the left turn into the Freeway exit ramp is fairly sharp and slow, another potential slow spot will be the U-turn at Whitfords but hopefully the field will have spread out by then. There is also the potential of crashes in front at any point of the event. I had a single rider put themselves down in front of me in South Perth during last year's Santos with no obvious external cause.

numloxx

Postby numloxx » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Ah yes that would make sense with the faster group starting first. And thanks for the advice on the clips and rides this week, I'll hold off until after the ride :)

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Enjoyed the bike hike full course, the new course from Kwinana to Hodges and back into the city via the tunnel was very good, went with the 35kmh group and in the front pack we averaged 38.5 overall and over 40kmh as far as the turn (50k's in). Good sensible riding from everyone considering the size of the pack.

Did see the aftermath of one pileup, presumably from the 40kmh group, looked like walking wounded only. All in with the ride to the start and the ride home it was nearly 120km's, my first ride over 100km's

ploz

Postby ploz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Did the mid-hike from Kwinana with the family. Organisation was so much improved on previous years, everything ran smoothly and safely. Shame the numbers were way down, the shambles of previous years has obviously had an effect. The less scenic finish location may also have put a few people off.

numloxx

Postby numloxx » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi all,

I had a great ride this morning. My first Freeway Bike Hike :) Thanks to a tailwind the first half up until the turn around point was good, but the headwind coming the other way just killed me. Around Vincent Street, 2 other riders motivated me to keep going, and the cheer squad at the tunnel entrance definitely helped for the last few km. I was in the 30km/h group.

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Robinho wrote: Did see the aftermath of one pileup, presumably from the 40kmh group, looked like walking wounded only. All in with the ride to the start and the ride home it was nearly 120km's, my first ride over 100km's
Was that the crash just after mt Henry bridge? Saw it in my peripheral and swore I saw broken carbon. I'd just pulled out the otherside to go to the front as there were a few riders swerving a lot in the pack.

Much better organized than previous years, but the numbers were massively down on 2013, maybe another year with the same course and people will come back. I was worried by the turnaround, especially in the fast group but it was very well set up. I was more worried about my safety with all the d!#kheads on the PSP on the ride back to kwinana than on the freeway ride.

Great ride and hanging out to see my time, made a move in the tunnel and got into a bit of a breakaway from the main peleton. Very happy with my ride at the moment.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Roobar wrote:
Robinho wrote: Did see the aftermath of one pileup, presumably from the 40kmh group, looked like walking wounded only. All in with the ride to the start and the ride home it was nearly 120km's, my first ride over 100km's
Was that the crash just after mt Henry bridge? Saw it in my peripheral and swore I saw broken carbon. I'd just pulled out the otherside to go to the front as there were a few riders swerving a lot in the pack.

Much better organized than previous years, but the numbers were massively down on 2013, maybe another year with the same course and people will come back. I was worried by the turnaround, especially in the fast group but it was very well set up. I was more worried about my safety with all the d!#kheads on the PSP on the ride back to kwinana than on the freeway ride.

Great ride and hanging out to see my time, made a move in the tunnel and got into a bit of a breakaway from the main peleton. Very happy with my ride at the moment.
Yeah I think that was where I saw it, there were about 10 guys and bikes by the concrete wall, an ambulance in attendance, one guy was holding his shoulder and another was sat looking dazed.

Not sure about the numbers, it seemed pretty busy, but with there being 2 mid hikes from either end at the later time I'd imagine participation was spread out a bit.