I'm retiring! You beaudy

ColinOldnCranky

I'm retiring! You beaudy

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:09 am

All my ducks are lined up correctly - super and so forth. So, after two score and some years I am calling it a day.

I still hope to see y'all grunting and sweating as you slide past me. However with the regularity of a working week no longer giving me a compelling cause to ride, I may find it difficult to get up every morning for the long ride in.

I finish on 31st December. I am flattered that there are going to be parties all over Perth on that evening to celebrate with me.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

CKinnard

Re: I'm retiring! You beaudy

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:26 am

Congrats on the new chapter/opportunity Col.
Do you still wear the arm sling? what injury are you protecting?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:53 am

Well done Colin!
I am very jealous- it's my career ambition to retire.
Best wishes for your transition!
Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:21 am

CKinnard wrote:Congrats on the new chapter/opportunity Col.
Do you still wear the arm sling? what injury are you protecting?
The injury arises from heavy use of the body including three shoulder dislocations over my life, my youth as a gymnast, my like of pushing, pulling and lifting things, inappropriate weight training exercises, basketball, hang gliding and, I suppose, old age. Nothing to do with cycling or unicycling.

The sling was there for each of three bouts of surgery on rotator cuff. The second time I had surgery one of the attachments did not take so, on the third (and so far final) I was anal about protecting the arm and still riding so it kept my arm firmly held to my torso for eleven months in my own custom job. Did the trick nicely.

For the record I have had six re-attachments in three lots of surgery and two acromioplastys. I have also snapped both longhead tendons which means I have only half of each bicep. I seem to have now worked out what to do to remain strong yet out of hospital. I have some form of scan annually to check that I not doing any further damage.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:11 am

Congrats on the decision Colin - a new chapter awaits!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:10 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:For the record I have had six re-attachments in three lots of surgery and two acromioplastys. I have also snapped both longhead tendons which means I have only half of each bicep. I seem to have now worked out what to do to remain strong yet out of hospital. I have some form of scan annually to check that I not doing any further damage.
that's a hell of a lot of surgery. I know you eat pretty healthy now, but what about before 40yo? I am working on a hypothesis that calcific tendonosis, which hits the supraspinatus and long head of BB in many people is strongly influenced by pro-atherosclerotic diet. Calcium deposition in the tendons is more likely with compromised blood flow. This is all in addition to repetitive micro- and macro- trauma, and anterior translation of the humerus with slumpy posture.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:25 pm

CKinnard wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:For the record I have had six re-attachments in three lots of surgery and two acromioplastys. I have also snapped both longhead tendons which means I have only half of each bicep. I seem to have now worked out what to do to remain strong yet out of hospital. I have some form of scan annually to check that I not doing any further damage.
that's a hell of a lot of surgery. I know you eat pretty healthy now, but what about before 40yo? I am working on a hypothesis that calcific tendonosis, which hits the supraspinatus and long head of BB in many people is strongly influenced by pro-atherosclerotic diet. Calcium deposition in the tendons is more likely with compromised blood flow. This is all in addition to repetitive micro- and macro- trauma, and anterior translation of the humerus with slumpy posture.
Eating healthy is a false assumption. No, I do things to keep the body working well but eating healthy is not one of them. Essentially a glutton when food or drink is placed before me. I do, however, watch the scales daily and adjust exercise/amount of eating accordingly. But what goes in the mouth would shock most competent medics and dieticians. Too much sugar, too few veges, much processed food, lotsa meat including nice juicy fatty lamb chops, steak, baked beans, eggs, toast, etc.

ramp

Postby ramp » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Enjoy your own time. A bit of a P Town institution gone. It might confuse me if I see you at different times of the day

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:12 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
CKinnard wrote:
Eating healthy is a false assumption. No, I do things to keep the body working well but eating healthy is not one of them. Essentially a glutton when food or drink is placed before me. I do, however, watch the scales daily and adjust exercise/amount of eating accordingly. But what goes in the mouth would shock most competent medics and dieticians. Too much sugar, too few veges, much processed food, lotsa meat including nice juicy fatty lamb chops, steak, baked beans, eggs, toast, etc.
hmm...you always seem to make comparatively erudite comments about all things nutrition +/- medical. :)
but then I have difficulty stopping at 2 glasses of wine once I've opened a bottle....and tell people all day to lose weight! :shock:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Welcome to the other side Colin. Instead of having to spend Mondays regretting
what you couldn't fit into the weekend, you'll be able to get them done now. Unless
you make a big mistake like letting your too many friends and relatives know how
much free time you're going to have.

Hopefully, prioritising and helping the essential ones will keep you so busy you
won't even think about your old work for more than a millisecond or two. Good luck
and good health.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 pm

:mrgreen:

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:02 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I finish on 31st December. I am flattered that there are going to be parties all over Perth on that evening to celebrate with me.
Congratulations on your retirement! I am much younger than you but counting down the days until I can do the same.
However, I must correct you on your presumption that all those parties on December 31 are to celebrate with you. They are not. Don't you know that it is my birthday? :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:21 am

Nice one Col, congrats and enjoy!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:13 pm

I think I hate you a little bit ;) Congratulations and I bet you will totally rock being a man of leisure!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:43 pm

wombatK wrote:Hopefully, prioritising and helping the essential ones will keep you so busy you
won't even think about your old work for more than a millisecond or two. Good luck
and good health.
Prioritising? That's sounding too much like the life I am leaving behind wombat. I was thinking more along the lines of getting in a boat and letting it drift. :lol:

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Congratulations, though I assume your career as a multimedia celebrity will also come to an end as well!?! :wink:

I've spread the word of your retirement over this side of the country, and you'll be pleased to know that they've decided to join in the celebrations with a globally rather well-regarded fireworks display to mark the occasion. I didn't realise a stint on The Panel and a photo/interview in the local rag made you such a big deal, but you are obviously proof to the contrary!

Maybe now that you'll have more time, you might finally be able to learn how to ride 2 wheels!?! :lol:

(Oh and I also hate you a little bit for being retired too!)
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:30 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of getting in a boat and letting it drift. :lol:
That's called paradise, not retirement. Probably should be hoping you've got a few decades left in you before
you get there :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Who'd 'v thunk? I'm offically old. Today I dropped in an application for the Seniors Card.

Discount movies tickets for life :mrgreen:

gazman

Postby gazman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:13 pm

All the best Col.

I hope to join you and get on the retirement bus soon!
Last edited by gazman on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 pm

tcdev wrote:Congratulations, though I assume your career as a multimedia celebrity will also come to an end as well!?! :wink:

I've spread the word of your retirement over this side of the country, and you'll be pleased to know that they've decided to join in the celebrations with a globally rather well-regarded fireworks display to mark the occasion. I didn't realise a stint on The Panel and a photo/interview in the local rag made you such a big deal, but you are obviously proof to the contrary!

Maybe now that you'll have more time, you might finally be able to learn how to ride 2 wheels!?! :lol:

(Oh and I also hate you a little bit for being retired too!)
Firework no less? Wow, this'll be bigger than New Year celebrations.

I never sought recognition but now I find it quite flattering and it's great to have so many strangers pop up and say I give them a boost to the start of the day. But, aside from riding most days of the year along a busy freeway, recognition takes a little more than 3 seconds on the Panel and one interview

I have some health issues that concern me a little and any time I could have to give up and only have memories of the fun. So I've recently started collecting copies of where I have popped up and it's quite a few more than I had realised. From memory five radio interviews, some little charity stuff, opening chapter in a book on WA cycling subculture, three (or is it four?) appearances in the local rags, three on TV. And when requested I get myself and other unicyclists to join in events to add some "colour". Now I'm retiring I might need to get a manager and make some money out of this. :lol:

I will be trying still to ride most days. But now I'll be able to stay at the coffee shop for longer and, if I don't feel like riding home, taking a free train using my Seniors Card. 8) And I'll explore more locations on a regular basis I expect.

It's not that I don't know how to ride two wheels. It's just that the rest of you are incapable of riding without the training wheel. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Good on you ya cranky old ba#@st# rd! !
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:23 pm

congrats Colin. We have passed each other a few times on the PSP and even had a chat. I hope you enjoy retirement you lucky bastard!
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:33 pm

How's retirement Col? Day One!!

Good to see you out there this monrning, tho pls leave your shirt on when you see me ... ladies only thanx :mrgreen:
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:35 pm

flashpixx wrote:How's retirement Col? Day One!!

Good to see you out there this morning, tho pls leave your shirt on when you see me ... ladies only thanx :mrgreen:
I recover well these days after heavy night on the turps so I headed off to Perth. I added in a detour around Applecrioss on the way. Finished with a creditable 27km on the clock.

Now I'm unemployed I'm having to cut down expenses including laundry consumables, hence the lack of shirt. :mrgreen:

The weather this morning in Perth was as good as it gets and by 11 there was a gentle cool breeze coming from Freo way which I imagine you already know.

Five minutes into my first ride and I had the years first random-stranger-pic taken - some grinning young lady in a passengers seat as I was passing the Bull Creek Station.

Quite a decent smatterign of cyclists out and about, with a fair few wishing Happy New Year, a few others having a word or two about my retirement.

All in all a great first day. :)

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Good to see you this morning Colin, hope the rest of your retirement goes as well as today.

Mike
Too old to live, too slow to die.