MTB trails in Perth North?

Shifter

Re: MTB trails in Perth North?

Postby Shifter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Worth checking out the WA MTB Trail Guide.

Forsyth's Mill is a good trail up north-a-ways. Unfortunately we don't really have many fantastic things close(r) to the city.
2017 Norco Optic C9.2
2010 Malvern Star Oppy A4

Antz

Postby Antz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm new to Butler and looking on google earth theres miles of track around here, but I'm yet to find a line that's not too sandy for me to ride...The drive out to the hills takes over an hour so it would be great if there was something out here or up Yanchep way...Maybe I've just not explored enough yet.

I think I noticed a local ride guide when I was in Joondulap Cycle City, so I'll have a look next time.

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

Guys dont bother going to the the Gnangara Pines unless you have a dirt bike / quad etc. Even then it's an average ride (AT) best. Only reason i occasionally rode there (not mntn bike) is its a 10min drive. Most of the fire roads are fenced off from the Gnangara road. To access the rest from the main entrance you'll need a 4wd.

I live in Madeley so not 2 far away from some of you guys who are n.o.r. Enjoy my mntn biking (hills/dwellingup) & road riding but there's times when i have an hour or 2 free on weekend (ie daughter sleeping) and just like to go out for a leisurely ride locally, and not have to worry about driving. I've found local schools are fun riding down stairs / small drop offs :)

Seriously though, I enjoy going for a ride through Perry's paddock (near corner of wanneroo road and Ocean reef road) and all the section just to the south. Along the west border theres some steep hills, i enjoy pedalling through the soft sand / grass stuff in my bottom gear up the steepest climb i can find. Good training. A few weeks ago i snapped my chain on my 7month old Giant Reign going up one (replaced under warranty). I even stumbled across a small DH section that weaves through the trees with a few small jumps!!! enjoy going down that. Found some other big jumps (one even going over the top of a foot path) but no thanks. Theres a few limestone trails and hard tracks that run along the lakes too. The open area in Perry's paddock is also good for R/C planes if any of you are into that.

Along Hepburn ave just as you cross the freeway heading west theres a large section of bushland that meets up with Pinneroo cemetry in the north. Heaps of limestone tracks / plenty of hills /up/down. Theres some fun sections in there & the water run off's act like small jumps. Access one of limestone tracks from hepburn or drive up the hill past the petrol station and access from there.

Hope this helps. If your not sure on exact locations send me a link to a map and i can point you in the exact spots

Mike

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Thread dig again. Mike, I also live in Madeley, ride a Reign and have flown R/C planes at Perry's Paddock, how's that for coincidence! Can you elaborate on the location of the donwhill section you found?

The wife and I did some walking at Yanchep NP today and walked only a few hundred metres of the Ghost House Trail. I was surprised how good a track it would be on the MTB, it was fairly hard packed brown dirt, not the classic sand I expected. Basically just like a good single track with some rock gardens thrown in. Like I say, that was only a very small section of it, the whole track is 9.2km long, but very promising. The other trails in the NP are man made limestone so would be no problem to ride. You can park just outside the park to avoid the $11 entry fee but the security of knowing your car is safe is probably worth it. You can get an annual pass for $20. I can't see thieves paying to get into the park to break into cars!

I reckon Yanchep would be great for night riding, nobody would be walking the trails at night, you have pretty safe parking and fast limestone trails for the most part.

Paulmills

Postby Paulmills » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:22 am

2-Fathers wrote:G'day,
I'm very new to mountain biking, and was wondering if there are many trails in the Wanneroo-Joondalup area of Perth? I'm not always able to get into the hills and further, so I'm after anything from easy heritage-type trails through to some good XC tracks in my area for shorter trips.

I know of the Yaberoo-Budjara Heritage Trail running from Joondalup to Yanchep, but it is unfortunately listed as a walking trail and I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Are there any trails in the Gnangara Pine Plantation that are hard enough, quiet enough and fun enough for XC?

Thanks in advance.

2-Fathers
The Jaberoo trail is a walking trail between Burns and Hester, 7.5km one way. I cycle it almost every Wednesday night with a few mates, and have never had an issue. Be respectful of walkers and joggers as it's really their right of way, but after dark it is a rare sight to find anyone on it other than more MTB cyclists

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:55 am

Paulmills wrote:
2-Fathers wrote:G'day,
I'm very new to mountain biking, and was wondering if there are many trails in the Wanneroo-Joondalup area of Perth? I'm not always able to get into the hills and further, so I'm after anything from easy heritage-type trails through to some good XC tracks in my area for shorter trips.

I know of the Yaberoo-Budjara Heritage Trail running from Joondalup to Yanchep, but it is unfortunately listed as a walking trail and I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Are there any trails in the Gnangara Pine Plantation that are hard enough, quiet enough and fun enough for XC?

Thanks in advance.

2-Fathers
The Jaberoo trail is a walking trail between Burns and Hester, 7.5km one way. I cycle it almost every Wednesday night with a few mates, and have never had an issue. Be respectful of walkers and joggers as it's really their right of way, but after dark it is a rare sight to find anyone on it other than more MTB cyclists
What is the surface like, hard packed limestone or soft sand?

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:33 pm

Magnum9 wrote:Thread dig again. Mike, I also live in Madeley, ride a Reign and have flown R/C planes at Perry's Paddock, how's that for coincidence! Can you elaborate on the location of the donwhill section you found?

The wife and I did some walking at Yanchep NP today and walked only a few hundred metres of the Ghost House Trail. I was surprised how good a track it would be on the MTB, it was fairly hard packed brown dirt, not the classic sand I expected. Basically just like a good single track with some rock gardens thrown in. Like I say, that was only a very small section of it, the whole track is 9.2km long, but very promising. The other trails in the NP are man made limestone so would be no problem to ride. You can park just outside the park to avoid the $11 entry fee but the security of knowing your car is safe is probably worth it. You can get an annual pass for $20. I can't see thieves paying to get into the park to break into cars!

I reckon Yanchep would be great for night riding, nobody would be walking the trails at night, you have pretty safe parking and fast limestone trails for the most part.
Threads back to life!

Hi Magnum, your name isn't mike too by any chance? :) The small downhill section was located on the west side near where the path goes up the hill parallel to a neighbouring paraphet wall. Closer to Ocean reef road end. Was a single track with a small double and it snaked down the hill side with a few small berms. Nothing too exciting, good while it lasted though. The council mowed through the area and flattened it, it became overgrown and not ridden the last I saw. The same crew must have built a jump a little to the north which you jumped over the top of the path landing down a down ramp on the downhill section. Way too big & deadly for my liking.

Nowadays we are in Gwelup. There's a lot of single track trails through the bush and swamp area (lake Gwelup). There's 2 log jumps but mainly just winding trails and single track. Not kalamunda / turner hill stds by any means but nice as its at my doorstep. Saw a tiger snake last week so I think i'll stay clear of the single trails in the mornings. I enjoy riding the trigg/scarborough reserve limestone trails, the water run off features make some nice jumps on the downhills and the steep trails are great to climb in the lowest granny gear as you struggle to keep the front wheel down!! I still have my pristine 2011 reign 1 but 2 weeks ago it became electrified with a bolt on kit and the fun factor has just hit a totally new level..... Roadie bikes for training in case I get crap for less pedalling :)

Mike