Gnangara Road Upgrade

CXCommuter

Gnangara Road Upgrade

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Noticed recently whilst riding out to Swan Valley that work has commenced on upgrading Gnangara Road to dual lane. This road is one of the worst I have encountered but is also the most direct path east for me and will love it when it is complete. It appears a shoulder similar to the west of Alexander Drive will be present.
http://www.swan.wa.gov.au/Our_City/Proj ... ad_upgrade

dmwill

Re: Gnangara Road Upgrade

Postby dmwill » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:40 pm

One of my clients is on Gnangara Road. Hate having to visit them for the simple reason there is no turning lane or space for cars to pass.Too many close calls/brown trouser moments.

Looks like they will be getting slip/turning lanes which is a bonus!

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:40 pm

This upgrade is well overdue.

Looking forward to see it completed. It will give another east west alternative.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:03 am

The first part of the new road, between Beechboro Road North and Ellenbrook, has been completed (BBRN intersection is closed while they do the interchange there). I'll rarely ride this route but I'm pretty impressed by the generous bike lane (I presume it's not a stopping lane, but even so). I think most people should be happy with it. It's only on the travelling east side at the moment (travelling west is just a respectable shoulder) as they'll duplicate this.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:33 am

Looooong overdue. I avoid Gnangara if I can avoid it, it always feels like an accident waiting to happen, even in broad daylight and clear skies. No other road near me gives me the heebie-jeebies like Gnangara Rd does!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 am

Bit disappointed that they didn't include a PSP type facility as the shoulders may be fine for experienced road riders but not for anyone else at those speeds. Ellenbrook to all the employment in Wangara is in the range of 10-15km which is doable for cycling commutes.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Wouldn't be Ellenbrook if we didn't get shafted for public transport.