Cyclist in crash on Beaufort St this morning

dmwill

Re: Cyclist in crash on Beaufort St this morning

Postby dmwill » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Was just on the news.....stupid oxygen thief waked into a pole while trying to obscure his face from the media and cameras.

Karma.

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Anyone else notice the differences between the report in The Worst West and the ABC?

The West:
"Sheridan accelerated after Mr Holland and clipped his wheel, sending him sprawling under the car's wheels."

The ABC:
"The impact of the crash buckled Mr Holland's bike and he was dragged some distance underneath the car before it came to a stop."

The West:
"Mr Holland suffered numerous scratches and "road rash" in the crash."

The ABC:
"Mr Holland was left with multiple fractures and grazes on his arms, legs and torso."

I saw the photos of the incident and I can't help but think The West is somewhat understating it.

Wait, what? The West being sloppy/biased? Really? :roll: :D

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 am

What I find strange (apart from ramming someone in a car and not going to jail) is that part of the witness testimony was that Derrick Holland ran a red light on his bike and then cracked a windscreen on Richard Sheridan's car after being tooted at and doesn't appear to have been charged for either crime.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:00 am

Fair point Jackfrost, I think he had his own brain-snap that day too. Reacting violently to these situations is not a good move.

I don't think either news outlet has described the event particularly accurately. For starters there were no reports of fractures at the time of the incident.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/259 ... f-his-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr Sheridan has shown remorse from the moment it happened. The forceful act was very worrying, he is lucky the injuries were not grievous and so the sentence is only minor. I hope he enjoys the change of pace on his bus trip from The Vines for 12 months. Maybe ride a bike too :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 am

Jackfrost wrote:What I find strange (apart from ramming someone in a car and not going to jail) is that part of the witness testimony was that Derrick Holland ran a red light on his bike and then cracked a windscreen on Richard Sheridan's car after being tooted at and doesn't appear to have been charged for either crime.
If it can be demonstrated that he broke the law, he should be charged too. I'm sceptical about smashing the windscreen though. How did he do that, with his hand?
<removed by request>

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:17 pm

A chunky ring perhaps?
May have the same stress concentration effect as those emergency escape hammers they have for smashing your way out of crashed / sinking car window.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:06 pm

roller wrote:No doubt the driver can expect a VERY hard slap on the wrist coming their way.
looks like I was proven wrong

like a slap on the wrist with a glitter covered feather duster.
inflammatory statement or idea

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:06 pm

I wonder if his lawyer has prepared his E-class license application already? I'd sure use that lawyer again.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:31 pm

I recalled this incident in reference elsewhere, I had to search a bit to find it, so blogged it for my ref.
While searching I found the driver had this was going on around the same time it seems (assuming similar legal process durations prior to the sentencing in 2015).

This ruling against Sheridan must be part of his other community work his lawyer referred to:
Unregistered builder to pay $42,500 for illegal work
https://www.businessnews.com.au/article ... legal-work
Richard Jonathon Sheridan, the director of One Emperor Pty Ltd (deregistered – ASIC) trading as WOW Makeovers, has been successfully prosecuted by the Building Commissioner for registration and contractual offences he committed in relation to a $250,000 renovation of a Scarborough house between May and November 2011.

In proceedings finalised in the Perth Magistrates Court on July 16, Sheridan pleaded guilty to one charge each of contracting for, and carrying out, building work valued over $20,000 without the required registration, which are offences under the repealed Builders’ Registration Act 1939. Similar requirements exist under the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011.

The Vines-based Sheridan also entered into a non-complying cost-plus contract and failed to obtain a policy of home indemnity insurance for the home building work, which resulted in him being convicted of a further two charges under the Home Building Contracts Act 1991.

The court ordered Sheridan to pay a fine of $10,000 and costs of $2,500. As a result of the proceedings, he also paid $30,000 in compensation to the owners, an elderly, retired couple who had put their life savings into the project.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:36 pm

"Didn't intend to chase and run him over" :roll: :roll: :roll:

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Richard Jonathon Sheridan has really failed at life I guess.