Lycra Banned from Raffles - Again

flashpixx

Lycra Banned from Raffles - Again

Postby flashpixx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:36 pm

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitnes ... 7182491962

If anyone has a pic of the sign
After being bombarded by cyclist-haters — many of them patrons — the hotel did a backflip and erected a sign announcing a new “no-Lycra policy”.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Parker

Re: Lycra Banned from Raffles - Again

Postby Parker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:40 pm

You know, there are perfectly nice cafe's up in Applecross, we had coffee at Toscani's the other day (they served 100 of us) it was okay coffee, but I was the first order I think

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:43 pm

The patrons of Raffles sound like bogans. I certainly wouldn't want to sit next to them. Cyclists should use other cafes where they are welcome and the customers have IQs above 50.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:14 pm

spread the word. cyclists boycott Raffles, even when they are not cycling, and their friends and families, and work places.
It's about time the rest of the world realized cyclists do other stuff that doesn't involve bicycles, and have better than bogan disposable income.

and afaik, it is still owned by multiplex. maybe a letter to their management let them know about the boycott is in order.
so on with the bogans vs brains battle

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:16 pm

I don't see the big issue with them enforcing a dress code.

Cyclists whinging about it certainly doesn't help the "self entitlted and arrogant" image.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:22 pm

Bakks wrote:I don't see the big issue with them enforcing a dress code.

Cyclists whinging about it certainly doesn't help the "self entitlted and arrogant" image.
It's fine enforcing a dress code as long as they also include non cycling women wearing gym gear made with Lycra as well as women wearing leggings, men showing plumbers crack, men showing hairy armpits under those baggy singlet things and all the other generally unpleasant sights one sees in cafes.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Amen, I bet I wouldn't be allowed to park up the boat and pop in for a coffee in my wet fishing clothes and booties, smelling of crab bait. Don't see how this is different to men dressed in lycra, soaked in sweat and smelling of body odour.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:40 pm

flashpixx wrote:If anyone has a pic of the sign
From Seven News Facebook

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:49 pm

hahaha...hi vis "work" wear?

so it is ok for chicks to wear fluoro 'fashion' wear, as long as it doesn't look like it was appropriate to work in!

haha....the management of this place just proved how frkn dur brained they are.

I'd definitely be boycotting Raffles Bogan Resort.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:53 pm

I wonder how many cyclists have a similar policy enforced on them by their wives (or hsubands) at home...
i.e. straight in the shower when you walk in the door, don't drip sweat everywhere.
gabrielle260 wrote: include non cycling women wearing gym gear made with Lycra as well as women wearing leggings, men showing plumbers crack, men showing hairy armpits under those baggy singlet things and all the other generally unpleasant sights one sees in cafes.
Theres a slight difference in that you can't tell if a woman has been sweating it up for a few hours if she is in gym gear, whereas theres a decent chance the cyclist has.

Obviously this assumes "sweatyness" is the legitimate reason for the ban and it's not just a manager that hates cyclists.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:56 pm

The plural of singlet is singlets not singlet's. Bogans running cafes.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:

It's fine enforcing a dress code as long as they also include non cycling women wearing gym gear made with Lycra as well as women wearing leggings, men showing plumbers crack, men showing hairy armpits under those baggy singlet things and all the other generally unpleasant sights one sees in cafes.
It is their business they can decide on the dress code they want to enforce.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:18 pm

blkmcs wrote:It is their business they can decide on the dress code they want to enforce.
absolutely.....and cyclists can decide whether they boycott Multiplex.

IME, cyclists are done riding by 10am. So I presume Perth bogans are complaining about sweaty cyclists before o at breakfast.....hahahha....delirious.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:30 pm

CKinnard wrote:
blkmcs wrote:It is their business they can decide on the dress code they want to enforce.
absolutely.....and cyclists can decide whether they boycott Multiplex.

IME, cyclists are done riding by 10am. So I presume Perth bogans are complaining about sweaty cyclists before o at breakfast.....hahahha....delirious.
You appear to be a tad agro, calm down and go for a ride or grab a coffee but don't try doing them in that specific order

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Fair enough, it's a reasonably swanky place, a minimum dress standard is understandable.
Plenty of other places for the lycra's to go nearby such as Coffea and Cioccolato on Ardross St, or Deep Water Point Cafe.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:49 pm

Jackfrost wrote:You appear to be a tad agro, calm down and go for a ride or grab a coffee but don't try doing them in that specific order
95% of cyclists I see before 10am are not in a lather of sweat, especially the fat ones, because they don't push themselves as hard.
but if you prefer, let dill bogan stereotyping prevail. no skin off my nose.

though for consistency, don't you think they should add,

"no runners or running gear
no sweaty walkers
no sweaty fat people
no bogan bum cracks
no lycra clad camel toes
no exposed cellulite" (cos that one puts me off breakfast)

on the strip I have my morning coffee, the most successful cafe is the one that welcomes cyclists.

hooman

Postby hooman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:29 am

The Raffles is far from "swanky"!! Wankey maybe!

It's for ever been a Bogan watering hole. They wouldn't know what coffee is anyway.

It's a failed attempt to be credible. There are sooooo many awesome places to get a real coffee, why lower your IQ and be seen there?

You'de think considering how many cyclists meet at the Raffles, the smart thing would be to set up a bike rack, sweat proof (pun) stools and a kick ass coffee machine and barista around the corner so we cyclists, who do other things in our lives, wouldn't have to see and mingle with the drunks. That would make great business sense rather than to alienate a huge demographic and side with the Bogans.

Raffles Sucks anyway.
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 am

They serve coffee at the Raffles? Who would have thought it.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:46 am

biker jk wrote:The plural of singlet is singlets not singlet's. Bogans running cafes.
As soon as I read "No singlet's", I could picture the sort of person running the cafe. Faied high school english.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:32 am

I don't really mind a dress code but fair is fair.
I hope they also ban the fat bogan ladies with their high riding tight lycra dresses revealing their cellulite thighs, lumpy waistlines and gunts.
They put me off my lunch too. I dare not think what they leave behind on their seats.
The few times I've been in there for a post work drink that group of people make up a common client too.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:53 am

Whatever- never been on my lycra wearing gaydar for a coffee

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Red Rider wrote:Fair enough, it's a reasonably swanky place, a minimum dress standard is understandable.
Plenty of other places for the lycra's to go nearby such as Coffea and Cioccolato on Ardross St, or Deep Water Point Cafe.
agreed. Whether it is swanky or a try-hard establishment they can and have enforced what ever dress code they like.

If it drives patronage down then that is for management to address.

Personally I don't go there, and have never been there. Not by choice other than Applecross isn't at the end of a ride.

Curious how many detractors above have actually been to Raffles :lol:
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:36 pm

flashpixx wrote:Curious how many detractors above have actually been to Raffles :lol:
It's not about their right to have a dress code, or whether I've been there. It's about management hypocrisy (read their facebook page), no doubt driven by them intimidated by bogan stereotyping mentality. No doubt management would have preferred a higher degree of tolerance between its patrons, so it could take everyone's money.

cage

Postby cage » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Its just a dress code, dont be so precious. Go for a ride, you'll feel better.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Never been a fan of the post ride coffee, well at a cafe anyways. I prefer to head home where I don't have to keep a constant eye on my bike and I can make myself a nice double shot coffee.
Though in saying that the Raffles has made "the list" as I like to call it, never stepping foot in that place for any reason.