Lycra Banned from Raffles - Again

alh9a5

Re: Lycra Banned from Raffles - Again

Postby alh9a5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Seriously guys, who gives a sh#t what you wear when you ride? We all love cycling isn't that the main point of this forum?
I personally wear lycra and am just under the 100kg mark and 6ft, so on the tubby side. I could not give two shits what people think, I'm comfortable in it and that's all that matters.

As for taking pride overtaking some random whilst riding, that's a different kettle of fish entirely. Competition is fine and all, but drawing comparisons of ability is far fetched. How long has the bloke you just blew past been on the saddle that day? You may be fresh and 5km into a 30km ride and blowing past someone on the tail end of a 100km+ ride, so any thought that he/she is a chump in lycra is ridiculous. Also doesn't take into consideration if they are even going hard, they may be having an easy day and enjoying the cruise.

Gets my goat when people smash past and then constantly play the look back game (note I do not mean being aware of your surroundings here) as if there's a race on, nearly as bad as the randoms sitting an inch off the back wheel in silence. Everyone is doing different things and different points of their ride.

I'm not saying that I haven't dropped the hammer (well my version of the hammer anyways :lol:) and caught and dropped people playing the racing game, though always remember there's plenty of riders much better than you are and no ones a hero for riding a push bike.

Personally I like seeing some fattie out on a bike as at least they are getting some exercise and not sitting on the couch watching telly. The last thought on my mind is should they being wearing lycra or not

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Round of applause for alh9a5... standing ovation in fact.

Postby 446006 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 pm

yes well said alh9a5

Postby 446006 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:19 pm

lycra or no lycra, im quite happy wearing no lycra. guess I can be served in my shorts and t-shirt now. BUT wait maybe they see me rock up in a bicyle, what now LOL

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:24 pm

alh9a5 wrote: Personally I like seeing some fattie out on a bike as at least they are getting some exercise and not sitting on the couch watching telly. The last thought on my mind is should they being wearing lycra or not
:D
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Here's the solution
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Postby 446006 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:17 pm

They should just write on their signage, irregardless or what you wear, if you ride a bicycle you will not be allowed to enter.
We should test this hypothesis out :)

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Parker wrote:Round of applause for alh9a5... standing ovation in fact.
+1

especially on the "misplaced pride generated from overtaking randoms"
inflammatory statement or idea

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Jackfrost wrote:There is absolutely no reason at all for non competitive cyclists to be wearing lycra in the first place (especially the fat ones not breaking a sweat before 10am ) except for dressing themselves up like a Christmas goose. Why don't you all ditch the figure hugging, colours of the rainbow and wear normal exercise gear. I ride all the time and am very comfortable with my skins under my shorts and a airflow sports tshirt. Maybe then you'll be allowed into the Raffles (the reasons for which elude me as it's an overpriced dump anyway) whenever you want.
skins, airflow t-shirt, sounds like you're in the closet.

hmmm. . .the lady doth protest too much, methinks
inflammatory statement or idea

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:53 pm

roller wrote:
Jackfrost wrote:There is absolutely no reason at all for non competitive cyclists to be wearing lycra in the first place (especially the fat ones not breaking a sweat before 10am ) except for dressing themselves up like a Christmas goose. Why don't you all ditch the figure hugging, colours of the rainbow and wear normal exercise gear. I ride all the time and am very comfortable with my skins under my shorts and a airflow sports tshirt. Maybe then you'll be allowed into the Raffles (the reasons for which elude me as it's an overpriced dump anyway) whenever you want.
skins, airflow t-shirt, sounds like you're in the closet.
Sounds like someone who hasn't experienced the joy of padded knicks/bibs yet...

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:18 am

In response to the Raffles banning lycra the Port Walter Golf Club has openly welcomed the lycra clad on their facebook page. They have also offered $3 large coffees for the remainder of January to attract us lycra bandits in.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:06 am

Is there a thread with a list of cafe's around Australia that are NOT cyclist/lycra friendly? I'd like to know so I can support the cafes that do support cyclists and their attire.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:54 am

If you've got facebook the Point Walter Golf Club said that we're always welcome in their club house whilst we wear lycra, however they ask that regular golfing attire be worn on the golf course :D

https://www.facebook.com/PointWalterGolf?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Vote with your wallets people, that includes when in and out of kit.

Also good to know the print hall in cbd is owned by the same mob - also boycotting including work functions.

Postby 446006 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Thxs for the heads up JLH, I wont be going there anymore either!
+1 vote with your wallets!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Perhaps the cycling community should set up a community wardrobe at a place nearby where anytime a group wishes to protest they can kit out and then head to the Raffles.

Nothing flash - just basic clothing that simply complies with the dress code - no style, mismatched el cheapo brown shoes for example - but readily identifies the wearer as a cyclist protesting. Someone to always have a gopro recording any security issues at the door of course.

Of course, minimal expenditure to go to the pub. Only drink the house wine they are legally obligated to serve etc.

hmm, probably not a great intiiative, it would label cyclists as the wrong doers in the eyes of Joe Public.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Had to chuckle at Perth Integrated Health Cycling Group organizing an Australia Day ride which will meet outside the Raffles. Details here - https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/R ... px?E=10257 - nothing to with me BTW.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:41 pm

IncognitoMosquito wrote:Had to chuckle at Perth Integrated Health Cycling Group organizing an Australia Day ride which will meet outside the Raffles. Details here - https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/R ... px?E=10257 - nothing to with me BTW.
The 'Patriotic Ride' .... hilarious

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:58 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Here's the solution
I don't think suits have a seam/circle THERE :shock:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Honestly thought this thread would have died off by now. Not sure if that says more about us or the ban.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Tornado wrote:Honestly thought this thread would have died off by now. Not sure if that says more about us or the ban.
+1

Grev

Postby Grev » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 am

IncognitoMosquito wrote:Had to chuckle at Perth Integrated Health Cycling Group organizing an Australia Day ride which will meet outside the Raffles.
That's nothin'. Arguably the high point of of Bike Week in 2014 was a major display/trade show in this area. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:31 pm

http://www.strava.com/segments/8834650?filter=overall

I like- almost as good as W*nker Avenue in one of Perth's more illustrious suburbs for a segment name

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:25 pm

CXCommuter wrote:http://www.strava.com/segments/8834650?filter=overall

I like- almost as good as W*nker Avenue in one of Perth's more illustrious suburbs for a segment name
haha, tho I'm not sure it's the safest place to have a competitive segment on Strava :shock:

Edit: seems I did it recently at 1:29; average 24 kmh. :D
Last edited by flashpixx on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

simonn

Postby simonn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Parker wrote:If you've got facebook the Point Walter Golf Club said that we're always welcome in their club house whilst we wear lycra, however they ask that regular golfing attire be worn on the golf course :D

https://www.facebook.com/PointWalterGolf?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There goes the execbialthlon.