Guy on the blue E bike Kwinana PSP morning commute

Clintoo

Guy on the blue E bike Kwinana PSP morning commute

Postby Clintoo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Has anyone else been cut off by that guy on a blue road bike, with I presume an E-conversion. I was doing 45 along the PSP yesterday morning thanks to the S-Easter and he went past like I was standing still. And in the process shaved me as there was an oncoming cyclist. I have noticed him a few times this last week and he likes to overtake at speed with little regard for oncoming cyclists, they are just expected to move to the left for him.

If you are on here. Perhaps you could either ride along the como side of the freeway on the road, or ride at an appropriate speed for the bike path and give way to oncoming cyclists (which would mean sitting behind a slower rider until the oncoming rider has passed). The principles of the WA road rules and common sense should still apply to the cycle path. Belting down the freeway and forcing oncoming cyclists over to their extreme left so you can keep your finger on the go button is just going to cause an accident. I don’t consider 50+ to be appropriate for the morning commute. Yes I push it in the high 40s myself, but I don’t overtake into oncoming traffic (I suffer the massive inconvenience of patiently waiting behind a slower rider) and I ensure I give people a wide berth when passing.

No I am not an ebike hater.

crazioldjane

Re: Guy on the blue E bike Kwinana PSP morning commute

Postby crazioldjane » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:47 pm

wasn't me but i have fairly frequent head on near misses with other cyclists overtaking into my path when it isn't safe to do it.. and strangely it is mostly some of my harlequin clad friends doing warp speeds... interestingly some of them also seem to think its okay to block the path while congregating in large groups under the narrows bridge early in the mornings ... it would be really nice if we could get along but it will never happen so best to take a big breath let it all go and enjoy the ride...
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:04 pm

I've seen this guy also. Doing approx. 50kph into a SW and no regard for oncoming traffic. Dangerous for sure...

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:33 pm

I haven't seen him since Xmas, but his ride home seems to coincide with mine and he regularly passes me as we gamely battle the headwind at 35km if we're lucky, and he is upward of 45-50 at least. Very rarely slows for anyone, I think he pulls off at the top of the hill after bull creek.

Postby 446006 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Have an E-bike myself and commute around 25km-30km on this path. Heading South yesterday just before Canning Bridge, Possibly the same guy on the Blue road bike with drop down handle bars and single left hand side rear pannier, decked out in full lycra flies past like a speed demon, dont know if it was converted bike as he blew past me so fast I couldnt even take a look. He turned off Canning Hwy Bridge. Not against E-riders, as I have one myself and a road bike, but I have seen quite quite a number of E-bike riders on this path, helps me with the headwind for those who ride faster than myself so thxs, but hey this silly speed demon dude wearing nothing but lycra aint going to protect your skin mate during a fall. On another note, Have seen quite a few e-bikes pass me lately, like to know what specs kit you are riding?

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:37 pm

The guy I see is on a flat bar, normally is sports gear rather than lycra

Postby 446006 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:57 am

I have drafted behind several on the flat bars on sports / casual gear, but not able to when against the Blue road racer drop down bar.
Theres an older gentleman on a Silver/grey bike which is the fastest one I say upwards of 50km+
Theres another adult on a dark silver bike I say would be around 43km.
There another adult on a black bike I say would be around 45km
Theres another adult on think its a blackish mate grey bike would be around 40km
and for giggles theres an lady with a hanging basket up front I would say 30km.
and one crazy bugger in Lycra, only one I have come across with drop down bar, I would say 55km++
I would not understand why Lycra and Drop down bar conversion, just not practical and logical.
In general (expect for the blue road drop down bar bike) I would say most have signaled and given way to on coming traffic, bar a few times I believe they are unaware that another cyclist is drafting behind, because they believe they are at speed, have failed to signal. But once made aware happily signal and assist with the headwind / ride.
All in all I have found Perth riders pretty helpful stopping for assistance, and generally well mannered. There are a few ofcourse lycra or no lycra, e bike or non ebike who often are in their own world. but hey we dont live in a perfect society. Anyways, I say carry on and enjoy the ride fellas thats what its all about!

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:38 pm

I reported this late last year.
Only this guy was in full TT position with an E bike doing at least 75km/hr.
I cruise on 40 and sometimes get up to 50 but this guy totally screamed past me at almost twice my speed.
Extremely dangerous in the morning when the PSP was loaded.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

Postby 446006 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Snake - Yes thats they guy, totally nuts what is he thinking / proving. The other E riders I can handle BUT this guy is just INSANE!

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:37 pm

yeh that's him, the red pannier. I must admit I do from time to time draft behind ebikers. NEasters and the SWs, you do get a nice draft. My policy when drafting anyone is to pull up along side and ask if they mind if I sit on. I tend to commute on a single speed so i often run out of gears (so to speak).

But the guy on the blue bike absolutely flys. It does have a big black hub on the front wheel, which I presume is the motor and I'm guessing the pannier contains his battery. But it's interesting that he is on drops and appears to be putting in some effort. my issue isn't with the motor its the rider. things are dangerous enough on the road with idiots in cars. but having some twit on the cycle path clip you as he flys past, is not something you expect.

But to those guys with the ebikes, does it make that much difference when you pedal? I was chatting to a nice fellow who towed me into a Neaster before xmas. we were sitting on 40 the whole way. I asked him how much difference pedaling made and he stopped pedaling and didn't appear to slow down. Does it just extend your range?

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:39 pm

I just noticed snake you have the same MTB as me. I think i noticed two others on the Cape to cape this year. Although Im running mavic slrs in lieu of the rubbish reynolds.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Clintoo wrote:I just noticed snake you have the same MTB as me. I think i noticed two others on the Cape to cape this year. Although Im running mavic slrs in lieu of the rubbish reynolds.
Cool. Its a solid bike!

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Got to ask.
The old 200W standard wouldn't go that fast and the new standard requires motor to cut out at 25 kmh. max 250W.

It would seem that either these folk are so strong don't need a motor or else what they are riding is illegal according to the law.

John

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:59 am

I believe, in Vic you are supposed to have a motorcycle licence if your bike can go 50kph or more.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 am

John Lewis wrote:Got to ask.
The old 200W standard wouldn't go that fast and the new standard requires motor to cut out at 25 kmh. max 250W.

It would seem that either these folk are so strong don't need a motor or else what they are riding is illegal according to the law.

John
Almost certainly the bikes are illegal. A 200W motor could certainly be capable of pretty good speeds, however the usual design theory uses high torque/low kv (revs per volt) to get the bike up to speed and provide max assistance up hills, which is what most people want from an ebike. However, if you were designing an ebike around an intermediate-strong rider, you could use a much higher speed (in terms of kv) motor that does little at lower bike speeds.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am

I don't know what power this speed demon was using but I was pushing 30kmhr into a headwind and was overtaken but this guy like I was in reverse. It sounded like the train going past. He was seriously quick and weaving in and around everyone.
Sure no problems with one but time and place.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 am

You guys should report this guy.
The more of these guys that ride illegal overpowered bikes on the PSP the less it becomes a safe path for cyclists or anyone to use.
If he rides at regular times then it shouldn't be hard for the cops to catch him.
200W is not much and I think it's a fair limit.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:05 am

Pretty sure I met the same guy before-I was doing 50-55km/h on open stretches and could just keep him in sight, but he wouldn't slow down anywhere- that wasn't the main concern- the issue was the extremely poor riding- close shaving, overtaking on blind corners, crossing centrelines on blind corners and overtaking into oncoming traffic. All exacerbated by the speed.

NOR we have several home made jobs- old BSO's with motors and batteries strapped with grey tape and zip ties- capable of 50 plus km/h- yep- full Oz compliance there

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:15 am

I know someone who regularly rides his 1200W Stealth motorbike from Perth to Joondalup return on the PSP.
Ive tried to talk him out of it but when you've spent the money your going to use it.

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Hugor wrote:I know someone who regularly rides his 1200W Stealth motorbike from Perth to Joondalup return on the PSP.
Ive tried to talk him out of it but when you've spent the money your going to use it.
There is a kid I see regularly bombing up and down the Mitchell PSP on a 50cc scooter. He even uses the footpath when there is an adjacent road.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Hugor wrote:I know someone who regularly rides his 1200W Stealth motorbike from Perth to Joondalup return on the PSP.
The Stealths have a button on the handlebar that limits the power output to 200W, so having spent the money isn't really a good excuse to ride it on full power on crowded paths...

Postby 446006 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:47 pm

A guy past me last night on one of those low riding beach cruiser bikes. Damn good looking shinning bling bling bike. He sure was cruising into the headwind. I want one :)

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:51 pm

I can see this escalating to fuel the argument to have bikes registered.

Postby 446006 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:09 pm

drafted behind a e-bike last night, nudging 50kph, sadly I couldnt maintain / keep up for more than 500m, but thxs anyways to the guy for the pull along (left and right rear black pannier, flat bar bike, front motor)

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:49 pm

446006 wrote:drafted behind a e-bike last night, nudging 50kph, sadly I couldnt maintain / keep up for more than 500m, but thxs anyways to the guy for the pull along (left and right rear black pannier, flat bar bike, front motor)
hehe good work!
Same for me earlier in the week. Cheers to him for the load of new strava PRs ;)