Training Partners - Nollamara Area

alh9a5

Training Partners - Nollamara Area

Postby alh9a5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi Guys and Girls

I'm located in Nollamara and was keen to see if there's anyone around my way keen on the occasional ride together (road bike style) on the weekends, or even smallish group. I normally ride solo and in pretty much all directions, hills, river runs, Whiteman park and west swan area too, you name it I'm probably keen

A bit about me so if anyone is interested we can hopefully be at a similar level.

I'm 36 year old male, I've been riding for last 5 or so years and currently do around 800-1,200km a month, I'm comfortable on the road or paths. Flatish rides I'll average anywhere from high 20's to 32kph depending on wind. I don't mind climbing and have done up Greenmount/Toodyay to Mundaring Weird Rd plenty of times. I also like heading down south and have quite enjoy the odd Rockingham & back trip, Mandurah and back is on the 'to-do' list still.

I have ridden a few events and with SPR on occasion so confident in bigger groups, though given the recent car vs cyclist angst in the media I don't feel comfortable in the big groups from a road rage standpoint.

Think that's about it, any interest let me know

Dirty32

Re: Training Partners - Nollamara Area

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Probably not much direct help, from a personal perspective (although I am not too far away, I find it hard to plan longer solo rides. I just get out when I can), if you are not up for riding with bigger groups (SPR, whom I enjoy riding with), then Cyclemania (North Perth) and Malaga cycles (you guessed it, Malaga) offer shop rides that dont attract quite as many people...

They are both close enough to you, take reasonably varying routes and offer groups at varied paces (although, less groups than SPR).

Phone up either / both shops to suss out what they may have on.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 am

Dirty32 wrote:Probably not much direct help, from a personal perspective (although I am not too far away, I find it hard to plan longer solo rides. I just get out when I can), if you are not up for riding with bigger groups (SPR, whom I enjoy riding with), then Cyclemania (North Perth) and Malaga cycles (you guessed it, Malaga) offer shop rides that dont attract quite as many people...

They are both close enough to you, take reasonably varying routes and offer groups at varied paces (although, less groups than SPR).

Phone up either / both shops to suss out what they may have on.
+1- I am also nearby (Greenwood) but mostly commutes during the week and usually the Malaga Cycling Group on saturday's. Also ridden other group rides incuding SPR (Main 1/2), most people at MCG prefer the 30 group (groups typically limited to 10-15 max) whilst the faster guys can range from 4 to a dozen and 31-35km/h average depending upon route and weather and numbers

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Lot's of crashing recently at SPR in Main 2 before Christmas

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Ok.........? I am not sure whether that comment adds anything to the thread though. No one wants to see anyone crash, in any group, at any speed, but people understand the risks and still like riding in groups.

I guess that is why SPR are keen for people to 'join the club', so you are insured in the unfortunate event that you are involved in a crash out on the road. I admittedly havent as yet, but definitely plan on doing so.

There is always the risk, whether you are riding with SPR, any other group, 4 people, 14 people or 44 people (and so on). It's akin to someone saying they love drinking coffee, but get upset if they burn their mouth. There is some risk in everything we do...

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks everyone.

Sorry to hear about the crashes in SPR Main2 group just prior to Christmas, I always slotted myself in Main 2 and would've no doubt ridden with those affected. Hopefully riders and bikes are all ok :( Coming off is never a good experience and I have found it took a little while to find my mojo and get the negative thoughts out of my head.

Also becoming a member of BWA will provide you with third party insurance, to a maximum of $2 million if memory serves me correctly. Also the added benefit of discount for BWA events if you are that way inclined.

As you live close by you may come across me riding a black Scott or white Scott (rain bike), I usually wear a yellow crash test dummy jersey. If so say g'day would love to put some faces to names

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Yeah... I think if you 'join' SPR, you effectively take out membership for the year with BWA or Cycling Australia (or some such Umbrella Organisation).

If you were out with SPR M2 coming into xmas last year, I may well have ridden with you there.

I'll keep an eye out for you on the road, and be sure to ask if I see someone with a similar description.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi alh9a5, I'm in Dianella and similar type of riding preference to you. I'll PM you :)