Kwinana freeway PSP accident

Robinho

Kwinana freeway PSP accident

Postby Robinho » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:57 pm

I encountered a nasty looking accident on the Kwinana freeway PSP heading south last night, approximately 5.30, between Mill Point road and Canning bridge - what looked to be a sucker truck type vehicle has (apparently unaided) left the road, gone through the armco barriers for damaging about 30m of barrier, and subsequent chain link fence between the PSP and northbound freeway, coming to rest with a front wheel missing, still just on the freeway side of the fence, but with debris, drainage hoses and the lamppost it had taken out strewn across the bike path. Unfortunately there was a rider down who it appeared had come into contact with debris, possibly the lamppost or at least taken a heavy fall in avoidance.

Police and a paramedic were there, the vehicle driver was sat on the path with a neck brace on looking pretty unhappy with life, the cyclist was still down on the path, conscious, with bandaging to both wrists, no obvious head injuries and being attended to by the police/medics, and an ambulance hadn't yet arrived. Path traffic was being diverted under the bridge on the adjacent river front footpath. Traffic was backed up heading south back to the city and heading north back to Bull Creek.

I have seen nothing in the news about it, considering the severity, so assume that everyone was relatively unscathed, but it looked nasty and there is a significant amount of damaged armco and fence remaining when I came back through this morning. Does anyone have any other information?

Rex

Re: Kwinana freeway PSP accident

Postby Rex » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:16 pm

I went through there at about 5:05 and the paramedics hadn't arrived yet.
It indeed looked like a real mess. The cyclist looked to be very scratched up but was otherwise moving around and appeared to look OK.

Apparently the front wheel had fallen off, but not sure of the details.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:22 pm

The lamp post allegedly hit the rider. From what I read last night the post hit the rider on the back of the head and the helmet took the force. As Rex says the rider was a bit scratched and sore but from what I heard relatively ok.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 pm

That was incredibly lucky to escape without serious injury and incredibly unlucky to get involved at all, it looked from the positioning of everything that impact with the lightpole was likely.ist have been one he'll of a shock, especially assuming he was travelling north and it all came from behind him

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:28 pm

The rider sounds like he is very unlucky and lucky at the same time! Hope he is back on the bike soon.

Call me paranoid but I think about that sort of scenario nearly every time I go along there. With the motor vehicle speeds, limited protection and height of the road in relation to the PSP, the likelihood of this type of incident is not insignificant IMO. There is often a damaged section of armco or cable barrier along this section.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Red Rider wrote:The rider sounds like he is very unlucky and lucky at the same time! Hope he is back on the bike soon.

Call me paranoid but I think about that sort of scenario nearly every time I go along there. With the motor vehicle speeds, limited protection and height of the road in relation to the PSP, the likelihood of this type of incident is not insignificant IMO. There is often a damaged section of armco or cable barrier along this section.
I know what you mean, but more often than not the traffic is slower on the freeway side of the fence. I'm more likely to collide with another cyclist along there I fear

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:13 pm

The amount of holes punched through the fence from Safety Bay Rd down to South Yunderup over the last 3-4 months has been disturbing.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

zmk

Postby zmk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Looks pretty hectic! I wonder when they will finish patching everything up again.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Drove past it this morning, impressive...

Postby 446006 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:04 pm

nice shot ZMK, go pro? whats a good bike camera / recorder btw? many riders use recording devices when riding?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Red Rider wrote:The rider sounds like he is very unlucky and lucky at the same time! Hope he is back on the bike soon.

I have seen you post about this before, met with responses like the one that followed here.

The incident displayed is obvious 'I told you so' material.

How is there any possible debate remaining.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:27 am

Sounded like another car through the barrier tonight north of Canning Highway

jlh

Postby jlh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Didn't notice it this morning?

SoRCommute

Postby SoRCommute » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 pm

There's a few scars on trees deep into bush just north of the scout hall/footbridge. Also a few cut branches near the psp. Little damage to the fence or psp though so maybe the car was airborne!
Must have been a mess at the time.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Theres accidents along that strip on a Monthly (if not weekly) basis.
Im putting it down to the inability to merge onto the FWY from Canning Hwy on-ramp.

I ride this stretch every day to and from work and you do need to be vigilant about the oncoming vehicular traffic..
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

rodneythellama

Questions

Postby rodneythellama » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:24 pm

1. Anyone know the man pictured, and if he's OK now? I heard the crash was caused by the truck's wheel coming off, and that he got hit by both the truck wheel and the falling lamp post.

2. eldavo: Going from the filename and exif comment of those photos, this truck crashed in July 2012 near Glendalough station, correct?

3. nachoman, SoRCommute: I'm curious — did either of you see a vehicle? I saw the damage to the trees and some gouges in the cycle path. The cheesegrater fence is standing up but actually the posts have been broken.