Spokespeople on behalf of Perth cyclists

worzel

Spokespeople on behalf of Perth cyclists

Postby worzel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:12 pm

I just read an article quoting the CEO of WestCycle, an organisation I had never heard of before, which made me think about who speaks on our behalf.

As well as Clint Shaw for WestCycle in this article I regularly see guys called Jeremy and Heinrich quoted (sorry, I forget their surnames). Now I rarely read anything by these guys which I don't agree with so this is not a complaint in any way. But I was just wondering what organisations are there for cyclists, who are their spokespeople, what mandate do they have to speak on my behalf and what consultation methods are employed to survey cyclists views.

CycleSnail

Re: Spokespeople on behalf of Perth cyclists

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:21 pm

worzel wrote:I just read an article quoting the CEO of WestCycle, an organisation I had never heard of before, which made me think about who speaks on our behalf.

As well as Clint Shaw for WestCycle in this article I regularly see guys called Jeremy and Heinrich quoted (sorry, I forget their surnames). Now I rarely read anything by these guys which I don't agree with so this is not a complaint in any way. But I was just wondering what organisations are there for cyclists, who are their spokespeople, what mandate do they have to speak on my behalf and what consultation methods are employed to survey cyclists views.
I will have a go at answering this (and I guess I better declare that I am one of the blokes you mention above :D )

WestCycle has been formed two years ago to act as the peak organisation for all types of cycling in Western Australia. The CEO is Clint Shaw. It does not have individual members. Membership organisations include the Bicycle Transport Alliance, Bicycle Western Australia, Cyclesport WA, BMX and WAMBA. Westcycle has also numerous affiliated organisations.
Bicycle Transport Alliance is a member funded organisation that can be joined by anyone (and is always looking for new members...). The BTA has been around for over twenty years, and is well known for the work it does with government agencies and politicians. The CEO is Heinrich Benz. The only purpose of the BTA is cycling advocacy, specially in the area of cycling for transport (i.e. cycling to school, shops, train stations and places of employment).
Bicycle Western Australia is funded through memberships and income from rides. The CEO is Jeremy Murray. It's main focus is to organise about six events per year, but it is also active in the advocacy space.

The mandate of WestCycle, the BTA and BWA is to represent their members, and by extension the larger cycling community. You and any other individual can join the BTA or BWA to influence their policy positions, and you can join their board if you want to be involved more directly. For instance the BTA will have their AGM in a couple of months ...

All three organisations are located at 105 Cambridge Street in West Leederville.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Grev

Postby Grev » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:28 pm

You are very tactful Heidrich.

BWA is a social club and it makes my blood boil every time I see it quoted. (eg 1 metre legislation.) Unfortunately it is the go-to source of quotes for the main stream media.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Grev wrote: BWA is a social club and it makes my blood boil every time I see it quoted. (eg 1 metre legislation.) Unfortunately it is the go-to source of quotes for the main stream media.
Anyone know when their AGM is? Might need to join up and vote therein
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Grev wrote: BWA is a social club and it makes my blood boil every time I see it quoted. (eg 1 metre legislation.) Unfortunately it is the go-to source of quotes for the main stream media.
Anyone know when their AGM is? Might need to join up and vote therein
27 April 2015. See below link for more details.
https://www.bwa.org.au/about-us/796/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Heinrich failed to mention that Westcycle and it's charter was born out of government (by recollection).

While I don't have to agree with everything they do or say, I beleive both BTA and BWA to be honest advocates. I find both Heinrich Benz and Jeremey Murray to be sincere and passionate.

While BWA has, as I understand it, a sporting and events heritage, it has developed fairly rapidly an advocacy profile as well. The fact that they have managed to garner sponsors, funds and memberships sufficient to employ a professional manager that has also seen them gain a sizeable share of media attention should not be cause to beat up on them. Rather it should be seen as an aspiration for others.

God knows, cycling in WA struggles to get a sympathtic hearing by the general public. Any success, be it by BTA or by BWA, should be applauded, not knocked. One way of applauding would be to join one or both.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:47 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: God knows, cycling in WA struggles to get a sympathtic hearing by the general public. Any success, be it by BTA or by BWA, should be applauded, not knocked. One way of applauding would be to join one or both.
Well, if you want to join the Bicycle Transport Alliance in West Australia, I suggest this link. The link that Colin has put up takes you to an American organisation with the same name. They have also been around for about twenty years, just like us. But unlike us the bulk of their funding is from government and grants, whilst the BTA relies mostly on members for income.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!