MRA proposing replacing PSP with roads on Scarborough Beach

Thoglette

MRA proposing replacing PSP with roads on Scarborough Beach

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

The MRA has released the Draft Scarborough Master Plan
Developed by MRA, in collaboration with City of Stirling, the draft Master Plan outlines an exciting new vision for Scarborough and will guide its transformation into an iconic beachfront destination.
It is full of fine words and pretty pictures but very short on actual, solid proposals beyond
a) handing over more dune/foreshore area to developers (suprised?)
b) increasing maximum heights (suprised?)
b) extending the Esplanade north and south along the existing PSPs to join West Coast Highway.
c) getting cyclists off the PSP and onto the Esplanade.

Now that's going to work! Especially at peak hour with traffic trying to get around the three sets of traffic lights.

Compared to City Link plans, this one is a steamer. "New Vision"? More 1985 than 2015!

Read it and make your comments here
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Re: MRA proposing replacing PSP with roads on Scarborough Be

Postby 446006 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:03 pm

just get on with the job and re-develop the area, as it is better than not doing anything in this run down part of the beach. cant get any worse I say!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Thoglette wrote:extending the Esplanade north and south along the existing PSPs to join West Coast Highway.
I took a quick look today and didn't see much of interest. Missed this but. I would assume surly that the extension of the Esplanade would include a RSP along side similar to what exists now on West Coast Highway. If there is a proper path through Scarborough that would be nice, but I couldn't see this in the plan.

Edit: Found the relevant part of the plan (page 50) ...
high speed bicycle movements, including commuters and competent recreational cyclists will be directed on-street to the low speed traffic environment in The Esplanade rather than the existing Principal Shared Path (PSP); and
Brilliant, not :roll: Oh it is a Regional Shared Path not a PSP and when are we going to learn that we are trying to move away from these sorts of situations to separated infrastructure. Talk about a backward step.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:22 am

Not trying to be judgemental, but it is MRA, and look at what they have done with Perth's The Esplanade at Elizabeth Quay

I'm still waiting for MRA to publish exactly what cycling infrastructure is going to be provided for City Link - meet with them Dec-2013, and Elizabeth Quay - meet with them around Feb-2014, where at both meetings I was promised to get copies of cycling infrastructure diagrams. Neither have been provided.

My response to Scarborough Beach will include these facts as MRA need to be more proactive at identifying/providing these documents, as I assume that the priority order will again be pedestrian/cyclists, public transport and finally motorists vehicles.

I would have also like to see light rail incorporated, haven't had a chance to fully read the document, hopefully it is there.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:35 am

rolandp wrote:I would have also like to see light rail incorporated,
Ha! That would require vision.

Like proposing that West Coast Hwy be buried between Contatio and south-of-Brighton. (Either in situ or beneath the esplanade)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 am

I'm not fussed. Low speed road would probably be better than the current setup where faster cyclists are diverted through that horrible roundabout and what is essentially a carpark.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:16 am

dmwill wrote:I'm not fussed. Low speed road would probably be better than the current setup where faster cyclists are diverted through that horrible roundabout and what is essentially a carpark.
Still better than sharing with the militant/zombie pedestrians and the TDU cyclist using them all as chicane training

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:07 pm

dmwill wrote:I'm not fussed. Low speed road would probably be better than the current setup where faster cyclists are diverted through that horrible roundabout and what is essentially a carpark.
So better for children and families too? Fast riders are not the only users of the RSP and it seems that this re-development is very much family focused overall; wiping out a path contradicts that and it seems the research on providing good infrastructure to encourage bicycle riding.

Andrew