Places to get water on the Kwinanna Freeway PSP

Scott_C

Places to get water on the Kwinanna Freeway PSP

Postby Scott_C » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:14 pm

I am looking at doing my first solo (metric) century ride tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew of good places to get a water refill on the Kwinanna Freeway PSP.

Thanks.

casual_cyclist

Re: Places to get water on the Kwinanna Freeway PSP

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Scott_C wrote:I am looking at doing my first solo (metric) century ride tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew of good places to get a water refill on the Kwinanna Freeway PSP.

Thanks.
Last time I was down that way I refilled at the Shell on Thomas Road. Not sure if the tap is still free? It was a stinking hot day and the water came out cool and clear. So good! :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:38 pm

There is a refill spot just south of the roe hwy/bibra lake, exit at the top of the long straight hill, just south of the railway bridge, it's signposted from the path

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Right at the base of the Narrows (southern end), there is a public toilet and re-fill tap.
Just off the Mt Henry Bridge (southern end), under the bridge there is also a public toilet where you can re-fill.

Not sure of any others, but they are 2 I have used fairly regularly.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Ride completed, 103.8km. I made the Hungry Jacks on Safety Bay Road in Baldivis my turnaround point and stopped in for a $3 bacon, egg and cheese muffin and hash brown and a (free) cup of iced water which I used for an initial re-fill and then I grabbed a top-up at Robinho's suggested spot just south of Roe Highway.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Well done, Scott_C. Good feeling huh?

I think the Kwinana PSP has seen many a metric century cherry popped. Mine originally went to Safety Bay Road (before the FWY extended past it), but then came back turning off at Rowley Road back towards Armadale.

Since you've now reset your personal benchmark.. you'll probably want to start exploring some different routes to rack up the Ks. As smooth as it is, the PSP does get as boring as !!! FLYING MAMMAL FAECES !!! after a while and variety does help the Ks slip by. There's a few known routes that criss-cross the backroads between the Freeway/Forest H'way and the roughly parallel, inland SouthWest H'way to help break things up.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Nice work. Bewt morning for it even if it was a little steamy. I reckon I over took you as I went south down the freeway just after Murdoch Stn.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:04 pm

IncognitoMosquito wrote:Nice work. Bewt morning for it even if it was a little steamy. I reckon I over took you as I went south down the freeway just after Murdoch Stn.
If you have strava... http://labs.strava.com/flyby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:04 pm

That is how I know :P

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:43 pm

IncognitoMosquito wrote:That is how I know :P
Snap! :D
<removed by request>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:20 pm

At the southern end of the Mt Henry bridge you can leave the path to the right for a moment for the dunny. Twenty metres off the main route.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Gunnadothat

Postby Gunnadothat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:30 am

Good evening all.... 1st time poster, long time lurker.... :)

I received an email from Melville City Council today about three new water bottle refill locations - one of which is at the Mt. Henry Bridge reserve.
http://www.melvillecity.com.au/index.ph ... 5636ce2708

Might be useful for those on the Southern PSP.

cheerio !
Marc

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:49 pm

I was hoping that a tap would have been installed at canning bridge as part of the the raffles renovations. But given their recent view on cyclists....probably not something they would be encouraging.

that would be a great spot for a water tap given it seems to be a central meeting point for those of us down that way. Does anyone know how we go about trying to get a tap installed. or is that something BWA or others have tried in the past.

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm

I spoke with a person from the City of Melville about this today. She was interested and said that she would send the request to the planning department, who would contact me. The COM recently installed really good watering stations at four locations including in the park at the west end of Mt Henry Bridge. They include a water bottle filling tap, a bubbler and a dog water bowl filler.
Her only reservation was that the Canning Bridge precinct is due for redevelopment and if a water station were installed, it may have to be moved. Fingers crossed.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:29 am

I used the mount Henry bridge one this evening. Water was warm but was fine ten minutes down the road. Great set up with the easy bottle fill side.

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:53 pm

stealthbike wrote:I spoke with a person from the City of Melville about this today. She was interested and said that she would send the request to the planning department, who would contact me. The COM recently installed really good watering stations at four locations including in the park at the west end of Mt Henry Bridge. They include a water bottle filling tap, a bubbler and a dog water bowl filler.
Her only reservation was that the Canning Bridge precinct is due for redevelopment and if a water station were installed, it may have to be moved. Fingers crossed.

perhaps the hard bit, was someone actually doing something about it rather than assuming others had tried. Cheers for that, it would be a good outcome if it came off. Maybe I should ring the city of Kalamunda :)