City of Stirling cycling strategy

citywomble

City of Stirling cycling strategy

Postby citywomble » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi,

The City of Stirling has its draft Integrated Cycling Strategy out for public consultation, closing date for consultation responses 3 March 2015.

A copy (together with an explanation and link to the ‘open for public comment’ page) is available on the City’s website here:
http://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/developme ... ategy.aspx

Thoglette

Re: City of Stirling cycling strategy

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:52 am

citywomble wrote:The City of Stirling has its draft Integrated Cycling Strategy out for public consultation, closing date for consultation responses 3 March 2015.
Thanks for the "heads up"
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

tsunamisurfer

Postby tsunamisurfer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Looks like quite a nice network of shared roads there, hope all can get along.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:40 am

It's an enormous document and reads more like a design guidance document than a strategy

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 21, 2015 1:35 am

The City of Stirling has now formally adopted the cycling strategy as of 5 May 2015.

The question is, how does this impact me as a cyclist. Can I now ride on footpaths in the city of Stirling, and then jump off when I get to Joondalup? is there speed restrictions that are now applicable in Stirling but don't apply when I get to Perth? Will the PSP finally be reclassified as a BP, in particular at the high speeds some cyclists are travelling on the PSP?

Well done citywomble for your effort in finally getting this over the line and adopted by Stirling Council.

Looking forward to the debates occurring next as you have highlighted some gaps in legislation in WA and who should be responsible.

What is the next steps that will occur next, and should we now also be contacting our own local governments asking where their cycling strategy is (my local government and pretty sure you live in the same council as me, doesn't even have a current bike plan)?

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 pm

from the webpage:
The movement of cyclists is given priority over the movement of vehicles;
Does this mean we will see changes at Karrinyup Rd, Cedric St and Hutton St ?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 21, 2015 1:24 pm

rolandp wrote:The question is, how does this impact me as a cyclist.
Interested to see how the proposed developments at Innaloo and Karrinyup (as breathlessly reported on TV last night) will be impacted by the ITS and ICS - especially at Innaloo where the Mayor had (half*) a sound bite noting the inevitable single-user-traffic congestion.

I note that the local member has been on the job since 2010
Lisa Harvey wrote: The Stirling City Centre project will be around for the long-term and unfortunately the traffic problems can‟t be fixed overnight. However I am happy that the Government is committed to the project and taking leadership to deliver more than just superficial quick-fixes that often don't last.
Heck, even Westfield thinks that light rail is a good idea (2012 presentation to the Stirling Alliance). (Even using US tram models the consultants thought it was a good idea)

Some background on the Stirling Alliance from Yahoo news.

* he clearly had more to say but it ended up on the cutting room floor.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Are you aware of the latest status of Stirling Alliance?
The Stirling City Centre Alliance has completed its work program and the Stirling Alliance office was closed on the 20 December 2013.

The WAPC is progressing an Improvement Scheme for the area which will eventually replace the Local Planning Scheme.

The WAPC will continue to work with other government agencies and the City of Stirling, in an advisory capacity, to help ensure that any further development in the area supports the vision of the Stirling City Centre Structure Plan.

It is slightly off topic, but don't expect much from Stirling Alliance, and we need to wait for WA Bike Plan to provide any cycling infrastructure improvements for the PSP. Last week I got a response from Minister of Transport which included:
The section of PSP between Glendalough Station and Hutton Street with full grade separations is currently in the detailed design phase. The design planning will include a review of the required path widths This process is due for completion towards the end of 2015 and a business case for funding will then be developed and considered
The section between Telford Crescent and Civic Place will be determined after the transport planning for the Stirling Regional Centre has been completed in 2016 and may need to include a short to medium term option before grade separation. The follow on section from Civic Place to Enndale Road is in the concept design stage, including grade separation options at Karrinyup Road.

I haven't had a chance to respond, but interesting that some sections need a business case, even though all sections mentioned were identified in the original 1996 Bike Plan, and were re-identified in the latest WA Bike Network Plan as part of the 7 top PSP projects which included estimates to complete all 7 projects, with the WA Bike Network Plan signed off by the current Minister.

And back to topic .....