Cycling madness in Perth

ColinOldnCranky

Cycling madness in Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:34 pm

I headed out around 6:30am to wards Perth.

I get out riding a lot. I get to see a lot of river, a lot of birds and critters and a lot of cyclists.

Excluding special events I don't recall EVER seeing as many cyclists out, weekday or weekend, as I did yesterday. EVER EVER EVER. They were everywhere - Bull Creek, Mt Pleasant, Applecross, South Perth PSP.

And Riverside Drive and Barrack Street - WOW :shock:

If this was mirrored for weekdays commutes it might be easier to avoid gridlock by taking the car. :wink:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

NASHIE

Re: Cycling madness in Perth

Postby NASHIE » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Its good to see so many people getting out and keeping fit. I hope they are all sharing and caring ?

Did a hills today and Pickering Brook was full of cyclists. I reckon you could make a few dollars with a mobile coffee van at the top of Patterson road with all the group riders standing around .......waiting for stragglers i guess ?

hooman

Postby hooman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Hmmm, let's just wait till July when it's dark till 7.30, 2 degrees C and potentially rainy. Let's see how many bikes you see then.
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:48 pm

hooman wrote:Hmmm, let's just wait till July when it's dark till 7.30, 2 degrees C and potentially rainy. Let's see how many bikes you see then.
Only the diehards.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:26 am

I had an interesting conversation with a colleague at work the other day, who is a"new cycling commuter". The general subject was around taking responsibility for your own actions and when i brought up the subject of all those who break the road rules along Milligan Street and St Georges Terrace, especially those who believe a pedistrian crossing green light, is also the green light for them to take off. When he replied "thats what i do", i could not help myself but wade in.

One of his replies was "everyone else does it" and he did not thing any car drivers would be bothered about it. So my point here is, yes there are lots of new riders out there and i wonder who is teaching them all the bad habits?? If they were in car or on a motorcycle they would not do it, so why on a push bike? If we want to have respect from other road users, we have to show respect for them and the rules.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:33 pm

hooman wrote:Hmmm, let's just wait till July when it's dark till 7.30, 2 degrees C and potentially rainy. Let's see how many bikes you see then.
But I love riding in the dark & cold mornings are beautiful. Even when it's pissing down (makes me feel alive). Surely I can't be the only one?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:36 pm

This was a weekender and I tend to see it as you do for those.

However, the number of riders who ride all year around in winter is quite surprising and the metro counts reflect this. For south of the river riders, my suspicion is because they don't have to battle the Freo Doctor after a hard days slog at the office.

In my best year - 2013 - winter was what got my numbers up, significantly.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:45 pm

colinmc400 wrote: If we want to have respect from other road users, we have to show respect for them and the rules.
Whilst i agree in theory, in practice it isnt always so black and white.

Im still gonna use my own judgement and putting my own safety first instead of blindly following road rules.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:55 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
hooman wrote: However, the number of riders who ride all year around in winter is quite surprising and the metro counts reflect this. For south of the river riders, my suspicion is because they don't have to battle the Freo Doctor after a hard days slog at the office.
Yep, the winter brings a large relief from the summer winds that is very welcome, regardless of the freezing temperatures and wet weather.

For me, that lasts until July-August when I chuck the towel in and jump on the indoor trainer instead.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:09 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
colinmc400 wrote: If we want to have respect from other road users, we have to show respect for them and the rules.
Whilst i agree in theory, in practice it isnt always so black and white. Im still gonna use my own judgement and putting my own safety first instead of blindly following road rules.
And how does riding through red lights "because everyone else does" (Colin's original comment about a neophyte rider) fit those criteria?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Rex wrote:...lasts until July-August when I chuck the towel in and jump on the indoor trainer instead.
In view of of your handle ("King") you disappoint me Rex. :wink: Victorians will start to think we are soft. :mrgreen:

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:34 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:
But I love riding in the dark & cold mornings are beautiful. Even when it's pissing down (makes me feel alive). Surely I can't be the only one?
yep thats me too... and i tend to get earlier and earlier to stay with the dark and the peace ..its just magic and i love having the ride mostly to myself... cycling is crazily dangerous and most people should be told to keep away from it :wink:
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:54 pm

crazioldjane wrote:
Cycleops70 wrote:
yep thats me too... and i tend to get earlier and earlier to stay with the dark and the peace ..its just magic and i love having the ride mostly to myself... cycling is crazily dangerous and most people should be told to keep away from it :wink:
Another fruity loop here, cannot wait for the winter storms to hit- makes me feel like a kid again.

franjae

Postby franjae » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:
Another one here. Can't wait for the cold weather. The heat and the wind gives me the s.........
:mrgreen:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:42 pm

....weats?

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:20 pm

well about 4 drops of rain last night....at 5.15 i had pretty much the whole ride to myself..dark..damp..and quiet magic :)

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 pm

It still wasn't that busy at 7am either, and the rain was warm rain 8)

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:48 pm

crazioldjane wrote: and i tend to get earlier and earlier to stay with the dark and the peace ..its just magic and i love having the ride mostly to myself... cycling is crazily dangerous and most people should be told to keep away from it :wink:
Amen to that.

Love the wintery weather... to begin with. But as the months roll on I do get sick and tired of dealing with wet weather clothing, dirty bikes, moreso dangerous roads etc
By the time it's August I usually have a few weeks off

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:57 pm

Cooler and a little wet this morning, not too much from the sky, but the muddy spray from other bikes. The white Jersey was a mistake this morning. Nice to be a little less sweaty on arrival, also just pulled the pin on a new base layer, long sleeve Jersey and jacket for those 5 degree mornings which aren't so far away

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:45 pm

riding up the terraces at 5.30am this morning to climb heart break hill...or a better description for me is the hill of death... i recon i would have seen around 45 riders in various sized groups and some alone but all in lycra on road bikes and easily 50% had no front light and in most cases no rear light... Cycling Madness and the cops who were everywhere on mc's just watched it all go by.. Policing Madness :roll:

ikm

Postby ikm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:31 pm

So you didn't see the other 300 riders?

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:49 pm

no they were down in the esplanade standing around looking all pelotonish ... i saw them later when it was almost light..

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Anyone see a cyclist on a stretcher on Saturday morning on the PSP between Mt. Henry and Canning Bridge? Hopefully nothing too serious, anyone know what happened? Ride safe guys...

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:20 pm

crazioldjane wrote:
Cycleops70 wrote:

Sunday was beautifully cool. Much of the cycling traffic has gone, & apart from the occasional freeway bike hike shirt wearing post event renewed enthusiast. I had the place to myself.
Half way through my ride, the sun comes up & is awesome.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:34 pm

This