Mitchell Freeway PSP - Glendalough to Hutton

kellery82

Mitchell Freeway PSP - Glendalough to Hutton

Postby kellery82 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi All,

I apologise in advance if I am posting this in the wrong area.

I normally lurk on the Skyscrapercity forum and a user has posted the MRWA infrastructure delivery plan which, whilst looking through includes a $10m "Construct" Contract for the Mitchell Freeway PSP - Glendalough to Hutton (No. 17);

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Documen ... 394334.PDF

Do we know if there is a design out there for this and will this now be built on the other side of the freeway?

If this is the case, I'm quite happy that this section is finally being looked at and I hope it includes an underpass under Hutton Street.

Regards,

Kristopher

as7431

Re: Mitchell Freeway PSP - Glendalough to Hutton

Postby as7431 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Not sure what has happened but the tender for the design phase closed on 1 Aug. It lists 2 overpasses and 2 underpasses.

Also found this from Oct 2012. Things happening on geological time scales

Tim

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Interesting find. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:39 pm

as7431 wrote:Not sure what has happened but the tender for the design phase closed on 1 Aug. It lists 2 overpasses and 2 underpasses.
If I had to guess, I'd say it will continue alongside the freeway under the Glendalough footbridge, then climb up to pass over the Scarb Beach Rd bus on-ramp (overpass 1), then over Scarb Bch Rd (overpass 2), then follow the freeway again, then under the Hutton St on-ramp (underpass 1) to run between the on-ramp and the freeway itself, then under the Hutton St intersection (underpass 2) to connect to the existing PSP at the bottom of the hill.

Hopefully it has some half decent connections to the east-west streets to maximise its usefulness.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:30 am

Very interesting, wonder why MRWA isn't proactive at advising their users (aka us) when these projects are starting or being considered.

Couple more links. Tender for design went out in July 2014 but was withdrawn due to scope change.

Reissued in Oct 2014 and awarded in Jan 2015.

Suggest keeping out eyes on http://www.tenders.wa.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as it will need to be tendered soon if construction is to be started by Apr-2015 based on the link from kellery82. But if the design has just been awarded won't this take a couple of months to undertake and then get approved by MRWA and then get the tender documentation ready and then advertise, then respond, then award so completing these tasks in two months for a Apr-2015 construction start, potentially this is why MRWA doesn't advise what they are doing as just taking a stab here, they don't want to miss deadlines and potentially is why there is NO SCEDULE for any project in the Perth Bike Plan. If you don't provide a schedule you can't fail in meeting it

Good find. Now if anyone can find anything in relation to Hutton St to Powis St, that would be the icing on the cake.

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi kellery82

Thank you for your interest regarding this Principle Share Path (PSP) section.

This section of the Mitchell Fwy PSP is in the design stage. The concept design is available, and the detail design started last month. It is planned to be finalised by March 2016.

In the concept plan there are three structures:

· Overpass at Scarborough Beach Rd
· Underpass at the On-Ramp to Mitchell Fwy at Hutton St
· Underpass at the Off-Ramp from Mitchell Fwy at Hutton St

Attached is a sketch showing the proposed alignment.

Currently there is no money allocated for the PSP construction. All the PSP program is planned and funded by the DoT. Main Roads is project managing the development and the construction.

I hope this answers your question. Please contact me if you need more information.

Best regards,
Slavitsa

Slavitsa Dimitrijevic BE, MEI(Aust), CPEng
Project/Contract Manager
Metropolitan Region

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:59 pm

The at-grade crossing of that ramp is disappointing, not because of the conflict with vehicles (which is minimal as its a bus only ramp used by out of service buses infrequently) but because it will no doubt be a permanent slow point with right angle bends and a significant bicycle-on-bicycle crash risk.

Thanks for posting that kellery.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:02 pm

What about having an overpass connecting up with the Glendalough Station footbridge? Would there be too much conflict with pedestrians?

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:08 pm

wellington_street wrote:The at-grade crossing of that ramp is disappointing, not because of the conflict with vehicles (which is minimal as its a bus only ramp used by out of service buses infrequently) but because it will no doubt be a permanent slow point with right angle bends and a significant bicycle-on-bicycle crash risk.

Thanks for posting that kellery.
No probs.

How often is the taxi/ bus ramp used? They should get rid of it altogether I reckon. Prior to getting this design concept I always wondered what they would do at this point. It's a shame because it could be a nice uninterrupted psp otherwise

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:22 pm

Nice response but...

From the tender document on tenders.wa.gov.au:
The Road Safety Audit is not required for the taxi/bus ramp crossing as the ramp is proposed to be closed for regular bus/taxi use.

On July 16th 2014 MRWA received the letter from Aaron de Rozario, General Manager, Passenger Services, DoT , stating that: ’ The analysis of this ramp is that it is not well used by the industry, and that closure would have a low impact.’

With that letter MRWA was authorised to proceed with the PSP design Option 2, at grade crossing of the ramp.

This is why this design work tender had to be resubmitted, so is it being closed or not? if it is being closed, then there is no need for the grade crossing.

BUT

Kind of mute point where there is no funding for this project, which from memory was coming from Stirling Alliance which closed its doors in Dec-2013.

An additional question would also be 'what happened to the design work undertaken back in the 2000's when this was an approved project in the original Perth Bike Plan' as my understanding was that there was going to be an additional lane installed on the east side of the station, similar to what was installed recently when they added the additional lane on the west side (which must be the most expensive exit lane ever as it only goes to Hutton St and didn't actually give cars an extra lane to carry on North).

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:10 am

Interesting if the ramp will be closed. Would make a very nice cycle connection to Scarb Bch Rd.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:04 pm

wellington_street wrote:Interesting if the ramp will be closed. Would make a very nice cycle connection to Scarb Bch Rd.
I'm sure it will be used for just that, regardless of whether the ramp is open or closed.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Interesting if the ramp will be closed. Would make a very nice cycle connection to Scarb Bch Rd.
I wouldn't think so. Why would anyone want to ride on SBR near the station, got to be one of the worst roads to do so. Far better to come off before or after where there are better roads and routes.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:01 pm

citywomble wrote:
I wouldn't think so. Why would anyone want to ride on SBR near the station, got to be one of the worst roads to do so. Far better to come off before or after where there are better roads and routes.
Thinking about the future :)

Scarb Bch Rd isnt too bad east of Main St into Mt Hawthorn.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:23 pm

citywomble wrote:
Certainly, but if one works in the office park or near the chicken disassembly factory then it's the best place to exit the east-side cycleway. Plus one can change over to the west side at this point - can't be done between there and Hutton.

On that point I remain bewildered at the lack of tunnels under the freeway - especially between Powis and Scarborough Rd. Of course no-one was thinking of anything other than cars/trucks when it was built.....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:21 am

Minister of Transport is aware of this project - from The West:
Mr Nalder said the recently upgraded section of path along the Kwinana Freeway, from the Narrows Bridge to Thelma Street, had been widened to 4m.
"For future projects such as the Mitchell Freeway PSP between Glendalough station and Hutton Street, the design of the structures will accommodate a wider path," he said.
"The overall path width requirement is being determined in the early part of the design process.
"This process of assessing the path width requirements will be standard practice going forward, rather than taking the current standard three-metre width as an approach for all paths."

Baloney13

Postby Baloney13 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi everyone

There was a flurry of activity earlier this year regarding the plan and tender for works on the Glendalough to Hutton PSP, but since March, there has been silence! Certainly, I've been looking forward to seeing some beginning to works along the section on the east side of the freeway, but (as I kinda expected), there's been nothing. Not even a weed pulled up, let alone some actual earthmoving or little flags indicating anything.

Does anyone (including Slavitsa Dimitrijevic at Main Roads) have any notion of a timeframe? Is the PSP meant to be completed by March 2016, or only the design by then? I obviously don't have a clue as to why engineering projects like this take so (frustratingly) long, but it seems there's always a priority for roads, roads and more roads, instead of "How quickly can we get the cars off the roads so we don't have to build more?" Surely prioritising PSPs (or better PBPs) would show the Government is actually serious about reducing congestion, rather than adding to it?

Dying to know!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:13 pm

From Auditor General's Report on Cycling Safety:
DoT has identified other missing sections that require separate funding. These retrofitted sections can average up to $3 million per kilometre. This compares unfavourably with costs of around $1 million per kilometre for the current Gateway project linking the Perth Airport. The estimated costs at current construction rates of these sections are:
 $50 million – new crossing to replace the existing Causeway shared RSP
 $28 million – the Glendalough Station to Hutton Street section of the Mitchell Freeway PSP is in the detailed design process, which will conclude in late 2015. The project will cost about $15 million per kilometre, due to the number of structures and the need to fully separate busy cycle and pedestrian paths
 $15 million – the Cranford Avenue crossing along the Kwinana Freeway PSP
 unknown cost for the Swan River crossing on the Midland rail line but a concept design is in progress.

The budget for priority PSP routes until 2018 has been halved to around $7 million per year in the current forward estimates period. This budgeted expenditure is inadequate to complete the PSP works identified above. An additional $34 million has been budgeted for other major road project cycling infrastructure in the next four years.

So no budget is my reading of the above, even though this was initially identified in the 1996 Bike Network Plan.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Baloney13 wrote:Hi everyone

but it seems there's always a priority for roads, roads and more roads, instead of "How quickly can we get the cars off the roads so we don't have to build more?" Surely prioritising PSPs (or better PBPs) would show the Government is actually serious about reducing congestion, rather than adding to it?

Dying to know!
I think getting bikes off the road is more than just building out PSPs (as much as I'm in favour of that). It's a whole cycling culture that needs to change so this isn't going to help politicians get votes in the short term.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:47 am

Hutton Street crossing has to be a priority, even if it is only a quick fix with extended pauses in traffic flow, signage, more bike/pedestrian crossing lights etc. There is only about 2 seconds between cars turning and cars going straight on which means you have to cross yourself and go for it if any cars run orange / try and predict their green. I was very nearly hit last week when a lead foot launched as soon as he saw cars stop the other direction without waiting for his green.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Time to be writing to your (new) members and get this ball rollling!

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:15 pm

There were people handing out flyers on the PSP at Hutton street and also near Glendalough Station for a survey on this stretch of path:

Survey link is here
http://www.painteddogresearch.com/rateyourpaths

Towards the end of it it mentions that a grade separated path will be constructed from Hutton St to Powis St on the eastern side of the freeway in 2019.

Finally!
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:01 pm

I was also received one of those flyers this morning when riding through. Weird that such a large number of people were there to hand out those flyers, given that it is the middle of winter when generally numbers are down. One of the first questions asked you to record what date you received the flyer, with choices ranging from today until about a week later. Wonder if they will get many in the next couple of days, given the volume of rain forecast over the next two days.

It was also very interesting to see a surveying crew out around Telford Crt this morning, measuring the PSP. Won't the public consultation take several months which will should then impact on the design and location, which will result in additional surveying required in the future?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 pm

I also got 'page not found' when submitting.
Sorry but the page you are looking for cannot be found.
THE PAGE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MIGHT HAVE BEEN REMOVED, HAD ITS NAME CHANGED, OR IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:44 am

rolandp wrote:I also got 'page not found' when submitting.
Sorry but the page you are looking for cannot be found.
THE PAGE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MIGHT HAVE BEEN REMOVED, HAD ITS NAME CHANGED, OR IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE.
Working for me now.