Country roads around Perth

david.mcl

Country roads around Perth

Postby david.mcl » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 pm

A friend of mine is keen to do some (road bike) riding out of the inner metro area, somewhere with quieter roads through farmland, forrest etc. I'm looking for ideas for a 50-60km or so loop that's not too far from Perth. She's not into hills so that counts out a few obvious circuits. Anyway, if any of you have any favorite routes like that, then let me know please!
Thanks
David

Redbull

Re: Country roads around Perth

Postby Redbull » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Perth central?
You could go down the freeway and take the branch off at Whalley Bridge. Go underneath it and then you are riding around Doghill - the roads are generally long and flat, traffic is generally light.
If you go with KD Cycles Saturday morning ride (6.30am) they do a 90km loop that incorporates countryside, coastal and urban. Only a couple of minor hills.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:57 pm

The Whiteman Park/Swan Valley area might be an option.

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 pm

How far is "not too far" and how big a hill is a problem. The PSP from about kwinana south is pretty close, not much forest though, otherwise York has good flat options or anywhere on the edge if the wheat belt once you get past the ranges (wandering/Boddington/pingelly/Beverly etcetera.) or pick a country pub that does good lunch (quindanning/new norcia) and make a day of it.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:57 pm

An flat option from central-ish Perth is south down the PSP to Hammond Park, out Wattleup Rd to Mandogalup Rd, back east on Anketell Rd to Wandi, then back north thru Atwell, Jandakot and Leeming.
You get a mix of the Kwinana PSP which is usually deserted and some fairly quiet country roads. Not great in magpie season but no problem now.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Echoing the others, go south and then head east anywhere south of Thomas Rd to find fairly flat roads with very little traffic. The area around Byford (west), Mundijong and Serpentine is also good for this, so catching the Armadale train and riding to Keysborough and back might be a good option.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Scott_C wrote:The Whiteman Park/Swan Valley area might be an option.
I'll second this - Very flat throughout the valley, some cycle paths exist and there's many alternative routes off the main road, though high visibility wear is probably a good idea - Cycle from winery to winery or visit the chocolate shops, etc. Many practical stops.

Regards
David

jemima

Postby jemima » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:02 pm

I'll third that - east of the main drag there's quite a few parallel roads (semi-rural).
The road surface is rougher than the main drag, a few crazy dogs (behind fence), but on a Sunday its pretty nice/few cars.

I usually follow the bike path along the train line into Midland, then head north-east past the women's prison (there's a nice park/rest stop down by the river there).
Ride a little way up the main drag, then turn right at the first road and explore around/head north till you hit the river/bridge, or so.

Though this kind of route I find best during the cooler months, as you're not heading back into the southerly winds.