First ride through the city and to the south

worzel

First ride through the city and to the south

Postby worzel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

I rode through and south of the river for the first time today (part of a 120km odyssey).

The turn off Market St by West Perth station towards the Kwinana Fwy was easy to spot having seen others go that way before, though there weren't many more signs to confirm I was still going the right way. But once I quickly figured out I needed a blind hairpin turn to get on the elevated section I was fine. I went as far south as 2km beyond Canning Bridge, including a diversion to Mill Point for a coffee / cookie. The only bit which I wasn't sure about was the underpass under Canning Bridge (2 sand covered tight bends in low light). That, and the section at the south end of Mounts Bay Road where there is a sharp / blind couple of turns through an underpass were the only remotely challenging bits. But overall I have to say what a pleasure that section of PSP is. Beautiful views and long, straight, level, well-maintained paths. Compare that to the Mitchell PSP which is rough as, and really just a series of short independent paths that go in roughly the same direction with nothing more appealing to look at than the back of Ossie Park factories. I will definitely ride that way again soon, but next time I will start closer to the city and explore a bit further south. :D

just4tehhalibut

Re: First ride through the city and to the south

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Next time as you follow the freeway path south of the Narrows watch out for dolphins in the river and pelicans roosting on the powerpoles above (for different reasons). Enjoy.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:04 am

We south of the river are aware how much better we have it. About the only time you cross or enter a road is Brentwood. :D
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 am

nah!! south of the river sucks... too many cyclists :) :)
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:28 pm

worzel wrote:I rode through and south of the river for the first time today (part of a 120km odyssey).

The turn off Market St by West Perth station towards the Kwinana Fwy was easy to spot having seen others go that way before, though there weren't many more signs to confirm I was still going the right way. But once I quickly figured out I needed a blind hairpin turn to get on the elevated section I was fine. I went as far south as 2km beyond Canning Bridge, including a diversion to Mill Point for a coffee / cookie. The only bit which I wasn't sure about was the underpass under Canning Bridge (2 sand covered tight bends in low light). That, and the section at the south end of Mounts Bay Road where there is a sharp / blind couple of turns through an underpass were the only remotely challenging bits. But overall I have to say what a pleasure that section of PSP is. Beautiful views and long, straight, level, well-maintained paths. Compare that to the Mitchell PSP which is rough as, and really just a series of short independent paths that go in roughly the same direction with nothing more appealing to look at than the back of Ossie Park factories. I will definitely ride that way again soon, but next time I will start closer to the city and explore a bit further south. :D
I think that WA has two highway departments. One that designed the southern PSP and the other that designed the northern one. Plainly these two departments are not on speaking terms with each other.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:40 pm

exadios wrote:I think that WA has two highway departments. One that designed the southern PSP and the other that designed the northern one. Plainly these two departments are not on speaking terms with each other.
Considering the decades in between the various Freeway extensions and the differing rate at which the housing developments sprawled out from the axis of the River - it's not all that surprising. I'm sure someone could dig up some timeline of when the various stages of the Kwinana & Mitchel Freeway were completed. Certainly in my time living in Perth, I remember the Freeway ending at Thomas Road and there was sod all subdivisions that far South around then.

Don't worry. Us SoR locals still whinge. If it's not boy-racers on their TT machines chasing PBs, it's unregistered dirt-bikes or two stroke petrol converted BSOs. Failing those it's hell's inferno from deliberately lit scrub fires such as today..
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:30 am

The Mitchell Freeway 'PSP' dates from the 1980s generally, with the sections south of Powis St having been rebuilt since the late 1990s. The section north of Ocean Reef Rd is also relatively recent - built with the freeway extensions.

The Kwinana Freeway PSP from The Narrows to Canning Bridge is decades old (just rebuilt), ditto the section to around Murdoch. South of there, the PSP was built brand new in 2002ish when the freeway had all its interchanges built and was extended to Safety Bay Rd. Then the bit south of Safety Bay Rd is only 5 years old or so. You can see the Cranford Ave to Murdoch section of the Kwinana PSP (before the recent upgrades) was quite similar to the northern bits of the Mitchell PSP as they were built in the same era.

The path on top of the retaining wall alongside Parliament House is quite new too, I think? I ride past a big white sign at the north end announcing its completion in about 1998(?). Don't know how we used to ride north-south through the city before this time?

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:12 am

Last week did the same. Mine was a commute from north back to work south of Perth. I had no idea where I was going and ended at the top of Northbridge. Then followed the horseshoe bridge and onto riverside drive then back up on to the PSP. I hope there was an easier way that I just simply didn't know about. The way back was confusing as well. There is no single path to follow. All the set of lights that required me to stop. And I have not even started on the quality of the path yet. No it wont be on my bucket list again to ride north of the river on the PSP.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Matthews wrote:I had no idea where I was going and ended at the top of Northbridge. Then followed the horseshoe bridge and onto riverside drive then back up on to the PSP. I hope there was an easier way that I just simply didn't know about. The way back was confusing as well. There is no single path to follow. All the set of lights that required me to stop.
Heading south from Leederville you need to take Loftus Street south (turn left after going under Loftus St and loop up onto the bridge), then turn left onto the Fremantle PSP as soon as you cross the railway bridge. Follow Fremantle PSP past the back of Harbour Town and turn right just before you get to the freeway ramps. Follow this path south across Wellington, Murray and Hay Streets, then there's a u-turn required to get onto the path that goes on top of the retaining wall and will bring you out at the Narrows (east side).

In map form: http://goo.gl/maps/gA6uv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exadios

Postby exadios » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:45 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
exadios wrote:I think that WA has two highway departments. One that designed the southern PSP and the other that designed the northern one. Plainly these two departments are not on speaking terms with each other.
Considering the decades in between the various Freeway extensions and the differing rate at which the housing developments sprawled out from the axis of the River - it's not all that surprising. I'm sure someone could dig up some timeline of when the various stages of the Kwinana & Mitchel Freeway were completed. Certainly in my time living in Perth, I remember the Freeway ending at Thomas Road and there was sod all subdivisions that far South around then.

Don't worry. Us SoR locals still whinge. If it's not boy-racers on their TT machines chasing PBs, it's unregistered dirt-bikes or two stroke petrol converted BSOs. Failing those it's hell's inferno from deliberately lit scrub fires such as today..
Actually I'm old enough to remember when the freeway ended at Canning Bridge. IIRC there was a path beside the freeway then but, of course, it was not a PSP. I wasn't in Australia when it was extended down to South St but they obviously where planning a bike path then because of the provisions made on the Mt Henry bridge. I think the initial part of the path was made the way it was simply because of the fact that the freeway runs beside the river and there were no options.

A section south of Mt Henry bridge mimics the northern PSP somewhat - but no where near as bad. The big problem with the northern PSP is that it is easy to lose and the major road crossings which don't exist in the south.

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you for that. That is the way i went when i headed back north. I will keep it in mind for next time.
wellington_street wrote:
Matthews wrote:I had no idea where I was going and ended at the top of Northbridge. Then followed the horseshoe bridge and onto riverside drive then back up on to the PSP. I hope there was an easier way that I just simply didn't know about. The way back was confusing as well. There is no single path to follow. All the set of lights that required me to stop.
Heading south from Leederville you need to take Loftus Street south (turn left after going under Loftus St and loop up onto the bridge), then turn left onto the Fremantle PSP as soon as you cross the railway bridge. Follow Fremantle PSP past the back of Harbour Town and turn right just before you get to the freeway ramps. Follow this path south across Wellington, Murray and Hay Streets, then there's a u-turn required to get onto the path that goes on top of the retaining wall and will bring you out at the Narrows (east side).

In map form: http://goo.gl/maps/gA6uv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Postby 446006 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:39 pm

North definately too complicated. Just move down south and you'll enjoy the straight paths, with less crossing!