Study - air pollution and cycling

rolandp

Study - air pollution and cycling

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Did my first session for:
Evaluation of exposure to particulate air pollution and its lung deposition among cyclists in Perth Metropolitan Area

They are looking for more participants in particular if you live/ride around the South Perth area, with additional measurement sessions next week, 30min exercise assessment in 3weeks and then repeat of today in 2-3 months (ride on foreshore wearing heart monitor and air measurement equipment).

Contact details in above link if you are interested and available.

Anyone else already signed up?

Red Rider

Re: Study - air pollution and cycling

Postby Red Rider » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm down for next week. Doesn't look like it'll take much time, and shall be an interesting study.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Haven't heard anything back after being told I was in- go figure

Smithy78

Postby Smithy78 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 am

Don't worry CXCommuter - I was thinking the same, but got an e-mail yesterday.
It looks like it depends on your route to when you will get contacted:

"For your information, all the selected participants are already divided into 4 different groups for cycling in each four different routes (Douglas Ave, Kwinana Freeway, Mitchel Freeway and Sevenoak Street). You are selected for cycling in Kwinana Freeway which will start from 2nd-14 April, 2015. The study is already started for Douglas Avenue group from 4th March, 2015"

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:40 am

CXCommuter wrote:Haven't heard anything back after being told I was in- go figure
Likewise.

.. ETA: Ha, just picked up the email as soon as I posted that. I'm up next week by the looks.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Lizzy wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Haven't heard anything back after being told I was in- go figure
Likewise.

.. ETA: Ha, just picked up the email as soon as I posted that. I'm up next week by the looks.
Yep - got the email yesterday afternoon also, booked in for Tuesday (requested anyways)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:56 am

I asked to be moved to the Mitchell Fway group. At the time of the original survey I was commuting from Hillarys to South Perth so I had ticked both areas. Now I'm back to Hillarys to Perth CBD, and hence why I wanted to be moved to the Mitchell Fay group.

She was desperate for the South Perth area, so I just kept riding on the day of the study, as it is only recording you on the section when wearing the equipment.

Glad you guys have now got confirmations. I'm very interested to see what we are inhaling as I would imagine most of us ride for the health benefits.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Did my test rides this morning, in the Mitchell Fwy group.

She is still looking for subjects who can do a ride along Sevenoaks St around Welshpool & the vicinity, if anyone is willing & able to assist.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Did mine two weeks ago in the end- Mitchell Freeway run. Was interesting I must say

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:14 am

The West this morning:
Doctors call for lower car emissions
In its submission to the Federal Government’s Better Fuel and Cleaner Air inquiry, the group said children living or attending schools close to major roads were being exposed to more hazardous air pollution.

Wonder if the results of this study are available and if it shows any negative effects of cycling next to the freeway?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 pm

A presentation of the results can be found at Evaluation of exposure to particulate air pollution and its lung deposition among cyclists in the Perth Metropolitan Areas

It isn't very detailed. I believe Low Traffic Route 1 was the Douglas Ave route along South Perth foreshore. High Traffic Route 1 was Mitchell Fwy whilst HT Route 2 was Kwinana Fwy. The other route was scrapped due to low numbers, can't remember the location, something like Belmont or Bentley??

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks for the link. It looks like a presentation, rather than a published paper.

Its conclusion does indicate 'We recommend to policy makers to consider establishing cycling paths away from busy traffic roads.'. Not surprised, but we continue to build 'cycling paths' along side majority of new major roads in Perth. For example, Mitchell Fway extension, Airport Link.

Great that we get them as part of these major road works, but a shame there isn't a pollution barrier.