Dangerously fast powered bikes on PSPs

Re: Dangerously fast powered bikes on PSPs

Postby 446006 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:07 pm

I frequently draft behind a dude on one of those low ride cruiser bikes heading North PSP into the city around 8am.
Heading home the guy in the Blue bike Red Pannier is a little too fast to keep up with usually around 5.45pm heading out of the city South PSP. Theres a few others I generally can tag onto whom do signal and usually ok with towing a crowd behind :) In any case Im indifferent to pedal or electric power. Just happy to get home and to work safely considering the amount of craziness on the roads these days!

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 pm

446006 wrote:I frequently draft behind a dude on one of those low ride cruiser bikes heading North PSP into the city around 8am.
Heading home the guy in the Blue bike Red Pannier is a little too fast to keep up with usually around 5.45pm heading out of the city South PSP. Theres a few others I generally can tag onto whom do signal and usually ok with towing a crowd behind :) In any case Im indifferent to pedal or electric power. Just happy to get home and to work safely considering the amount of craziness on the roads these days!
Love the guy on the cruiser, just the right speed to draft easily and be going faster than you would on your own

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 am

Blue bike red pannier came past at 8:05 this morning. Saw him coming in my mirror this time and was able to see the large hub motor properly, as he overtook two of us at high speed against oncoming traffic.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu May 28, 2015 11:00 am

Still not seen blue bike guy, guess I'm too early, normally travel into the city by 7.40ish

zmk

Postby zmk » Fri May 29, 2015 10:30 am

jlh

Dangerously fast powered bikes on PSPs

Postby jlh » Fri May 29, 2015 4:58 pm

I saw this half-wit (pictured above) on the PSP heading north just past Canning Hwy around 8am this morning. Doesn't look like a newbie and should know better. Anyone know any cops who can setup a sting and ping him - teach him a lesson before he takes someone out?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat May 30, 2015 11:02 pm

zmk wrote:Image
'Eddie the eagle' on wheels :D

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:11 pm

jlh wrote:I saw this half-wit (pictured above)
I know where he bought his kit. Anyway, good luck getting the plod to pay attention. Perhaps get a councilor in the area to complain to Mr Plod. Drag the local community rag into it too for maximum effect
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:48 pm

I forgot about this thread. The same guy passed 4 of us working together a few weeks ago. We were doing mid 30's into a strong wind and he just buzzed all of us as we were pulling around another rider. Not sure how he got through to be honest but it was very close, I could see that the other guys were shocked about his sudden appearance.

fvh

Postby fvh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:00 pm

The guy that flew past me and another rider whom I've seen a few times before on the PSP rides the black cruiser style with full black helmet and a windcheater. Again, no warning bells or lights etc. Was doing at least 60kph about 5:30pm on Friday 28 May heading South towards Canning Bridge. I think one day a disgruntled person (not myself) is going to strategically place something on the path to stop him in his tracks, as his movements are like clock work and easy to id him.

Postby 446006 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:06 pm

on another note, I saw this Asian guy on a powered skateboard totally flying behind a group of bike riders. was a sight to see at that speed!

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:18 pm

fvh wrote:The guy that flew past me and another rider whom I've seen a few times before on the PSP rides the black cruiser style with full black helmet and a windcheater. Again, no warning bells or lights etc. Was doing at least 60kph about 5:30pm on Friday 28 May heading South towards Canning Bridge. I think one day a disgruntled person (not myself) is going to strategically place something on the path to stop him in his tracks, as his movements are like clock work and easy to id him.
I'm pretty sure this guys parks his bike in the Central Park office tower. Dresses up like he's on a motorbike. May leave a message on his bike referring to the online sensation he's caused...!

Postby 446006 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:35 pm

I tell yah what, the beach cruiser dude is a legend on days with headwind. Awesome looking bike setup and I have found sitting behind him no trouble at all he Signals well and yes does ding the bell :)

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:47 pm

I wonder if he's a strava user? I don't suppose anyone who has seen him has checked?

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards
David

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:27 pm

PABs on Strava?

Heresy!!! :evil:
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:41 pm

RoFlmaTiC wrote:PABs on Strava?

Heresy!!! :evil:
They have a special class for it though.... ummm.. KOM or something. Not sure what it stands for... Probably dutch in origin. :lol:

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 pm

KOM = King Of Mountain
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:50 pm

IS the problem that there isn't really a way of testing power output other than looking for a sticker?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Comedian wrote:IS the problem that there isn't really a way of testing power output other than looking for a sticker?
Lack of enforcement is more likely due to the lack of priority among other policing issues. If overpowered ebikes start grabbing their attention, you can bet they'll be checking them. It's not that hard to figure out whether an ebike is a power assisted bicycle or an unregisterable motor vehicle, based on the speed it's traveling in relation to the pedal input from the user.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:23 pm

a local business is sdvertising e-bikes on Gumtree. 500W and legal mentioned in one go. Now they might be selling the legal ones and the 500W ones but it certainly reads like they will sell you a 500W legal ride. Unless you know the real rules the merchant can pretty much tell you anything and you can believe it. As the price comes down more and more will appear.

I saw a MTB shaped bike with the rider sitting and pedalling easily up a decent hill at what looked like 30km/h recently. A sure sign it's way more than the legal power.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:51 pm

bychosis wrote:a local business is sdvertising e-bikes on Gumtree. 500W and legal mentioned in one go. Now they might be selling the legal ones and the 500W ones but it certainly reads like they will sell you a 500W legal ride. Unless you know the real rules the merchant can pretty much tell you anything and you can believe it. As the price comes down more and more will appear.

I saw a MTB shaped bike with the rider sitting and pedalling easily up a decent hill at what looked like 30km/h recently. A sure sign it's way more than the legal power.
500w peak power bicycles are legal in every state except WA AFAIK, so it's entirely possible that they are being advertised legitimately.

30kph "easily" up a hill is probably a good sign of an illegal bicycle though.

Regards
David.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:00 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
bychosis wrote:a local business is sdvertising e-bikes on Gumtree. 500W and legal mentioned in one go. Now they might be selling the legal ones and the 500W ones but it certainly reads like they will sell you a 500W legal ride. Unless you know the real rules the merchant can pretty much tell you anything and you can believe it. As the price comes down more and more will appear.

500w peak power bicycles are legal in every state except WA AFAIK, so it's entirely possible that they are being advertised legitimately.

30kph "easily" up a hill is probably a good sign of an illegal bicycle though.

Regards
David.
So if they are legal they shouldn't be advertised as 500w power, this will just lead to the proverbial contest outgunning the other guy on peak power and we'll end up with more overpowered bikes that people think are legal because they've been told so.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 pm

cj7hawk wrote:500w peak power bicycles are legal in every state except WA AFAIK, so it's entirely possible that they are being advertised legitimately.
My understanding was that in Oz** power assist is limited to 250W with WA (absurdly, pointlessly and disruptively) being an exception on 200w which has since been bought to 250W in line with others.

(**When referring to the collective Oz I sometimes have exempt Queensland which can and does do whatever it feels like doing according to whatever the wind is doing every morning it awakes from slumber.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:37 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
cj7hawk wrote:500w peak power bicycles are legal in every state except WA AFAIK, so it's entirely possible that they are being advertised legitimately.
My understanding was that in Oz** power assist is limited to 250W with WA (absurdly, pointlessly and disruptively) being an exception on 200w which has since been bought to 250W in line with others.

(**When referring to the collective Oz I sometimes have exempt Queensland which can and does do whatever it feels like doing according to whatever the wind is doing every morning it awakes from slumber.)
As far as I am aware ( and I guess I should check this isn't the case in other states too ) - WA is the only state that has implemented the new standard "250w Continuous Maximum" with the provision, "250w MAXIMUM"... And having checked this with the DoT it doesn't reference the standard, so can be taken in the same was as the 200w standard... How that will be ratified in the end is something for the courts to eventually figure out if it ever makes it to court.

An interesting situation arises from this - because under EN15194, there's Maximum Continuous and Maximum ( otherwise known as peak ) - and they are different. Maximum or Peak would be around 500W to 1000W for many Pedalecs, and in Sydney, they have already tested Pedalecs that produced, on the record, 600W and were deemed legal... So unless a Pedalec goes faster than 25kph with assistance, it's pretty much legal in NSW at any power, and likely to be legal in every other state except WA.

In WA it's likely to be ignored, but is technically illegal.... So unless someone has an accident and the prosecutor has a reason to go after them, I doubt it will ever come up.

It's not a huge issue, because, power aside, it's still got to cut the motor entirely by 25 kph, so enforcing it ( or testing ) is pretty easy.

What complicates the matter is that 200W PAPCs can push at any speed so long as it's under 200W - This means they can go a lot faster, but will need pedaling/tailwind/downhill to go any faster than about 25 kph...

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:19 pm

Pretty sure I encountered the catalyst for this thread on Friday afternoon probably just after 5, heading north between Canning & Narrows bridges. I was doing 27kph, he came past from behind doing warp-9.

Slight exaggeration, OK, but fast enough that he was a dot on the horizon by the time I was able to collect my thoughts. All I could tell you for sure is black backpack, upright posture and pedalling like crazy. I would conservatively estimate his speed at 70kph, and wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot more.

I've seen the black cruiser guy mentioned upthread but I don't think it was him - I see him most mornings coming north into the city, and he seemed to ride sensibly enough to me. This guy on the other hand - I don't think it's hubris to say he will kill someone.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle