Can this group please tone it down a bit on the Kwinana PSP

Tornado

Re: Can this group please tone it down a bit on the Kwinana

Postby Tornado » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Bartek wrote:
(5) Subregulation (4) does not prevent a cyclist from overtaking or passing other persons riding bicycles on the path.
So does the right hand row of cyclists overtaking the left row of cyclists make the cut or not?

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Yes, there are tools and bad riders out there. But... :?

I see the yellow bannered over-55's many many many MANY times and I have never seen anything untoward. At least not anything worth commenting about any more than commenting on an occasional unintended lapse of my own.

On the other hand I have seen and heard many many many MANY claims in social media, at BBQs etc of untoward actions by people that do not stand up to scrutiny or where I have been present. Such allegations are often embellished to make a small (perceived) sleight more credible. Duh! It works to the opposite. Where there is smoke seems NOT necessarily to indicate fire.

On that basis and the overwhelming number of alternate experiences with the over-55s stated on this thread, I'm pretty satisfied that I have worked out where the OP's allegations fall.

I note that since promising to show us GoPro of these dastardly demons offending the OP has not come back with it.
annoyedrider wrote:I'll have my gopro on when riding again this week so I guess I will have pics/vids up within the week of them doing the same thing.
That was four weeks ago. Can the over-55s expect to read an apology or see a retraction?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:59 pm

I don't think the OP intends to come back to the forum, signed up as "Annoyed-Rider" unless that is their intended long-term sentiment.
I don't disbelieve it's a possible exception of the group behaviour, though like you wouldn't bet on iy. I've seen that club and the choice of ride times consistent with their pace and sensibilities, e.g. single file to the law to begin with.
Video may find there are equal arguments from both sides, no harm no foul if I've learnt anything practical from videos I've posted ;)

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Given that the only real clue to the identity of the offending group has been "yellow jerseys" then I reckon we need to hold off pointing the finger at any one group. There are a number of groups I have seen which have yellow as the dominant colour in their jerseys (including Audax, Masters, as well as several shop rides and even some charity rides).

On a similar note - my wife has nearly been hit by a group ride barreling under the Causeway in 2-abreast formation on several occasions (usually a Thursday at about 8:30) and all she can supply in the way of ID is that they were wearing yellow jerseys and definitely not all over 55 (but maybe a completely different group to the OP's). - I would be VERY keen to catch up with this group and point out to them the error of their ways.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:15 am

eldavo wrote:I don't think the OP intends to come back to the forum, signed up as "Annoyed-Rider" unless that is their intended long-term sentiment.
The OP could be a geriatrophobe?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:01 pm

:lol: Over 55's geriatrics......i recken that could get you a fair 'wrinkly' elbow on an overtake :wink:

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:10 pm

BandedRail wrote: On a similar note - my wife has nearly been hit by a group ride barreling under the Causeway in 2-abreast formation on several occasions (usually a Thursday at about 8:30) and all she can supply in the way of ID is that they were wearing yellow jerseys and definitely not all over 55 (but maybe a completely different group to the OP's). - I would be VERY keen to catch up with this group and point out to them the error of their ways.
stake out the Causeway underpass at 8:30am on a Thursday with a video camera :?
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:32 pm

NASHIE wrote::lol: Over 55's geriatrics......i recken that could get you a fair 'wrinkly' elbow on an overtake :wink:
Considering I'm the only under 55 who rides in my group I'm really asking for it. :lol:
flashpixx wrote:
stake out the Causeway underpass at 8:30am on a Thursday with a video camera :?
A stake out, splendid idea!

Here's a short list of other items you may require;

black balaclava
nitrile gloves(3 pair)
duct tape
personal lubricant
5-6m of piano wire
zip ties

Good luck!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 pm

BandedRail wrote:On a similar note - my wife has nearly been hit by a group ride barreling under the Causeway in 2-abreast formation on several occasions
Anyone "barrelling" in the causeway tunnels at either end is an idiot. And, except in very specific situations, the same goes for side by side at those spots. Unfortunately Darwin does not only take out selfish idiots. It can take out the innocent too.

annoyedrider

Postby annoyedrider » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:32 pm

It has been a while since running into this group

Out in full force today.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 pm

They sure do look an unsavoury lot, they're even wearing colours. The Western Australian Government need to implement some anti-association laws like QLD did to eliminate this filth.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Sure looks like the o55's given the colours under the hi vis visible and the mirrors.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

roller

Postby roller » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 pm

annoyedrider wrote:Image
not content with taking up one lane on the bike path, they've also got one rider riding backwards to take up the other lane.

the nerve.
inflammatory statement or idea

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Sure looks like the o55's given the colours under the hi vis visible and the mirrors.
Sure is. I come across them on this stretch regularly. Never any worries, they never cause concern near the two underpasses just north of where they are in the pic that so many others, even in singles, make a mess of.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:45 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Sure looks like the o55's given the colours under the hi vis visible and the mirrors.
Sure is. I come across them on this stretch regularly. Never any worries, they never cause concern near the two underpasses just north of where they are in the pic that so many others, even in singles, make a mess of.
Correct, I find that they ride to the conditions. Go single file when required then may go into pairs again. A few groups do this
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:24 am

thecaptn wrote:
eldavo wrote:I don't think the OP intends to come back to the forum, signed up as "Annoyed-Rider" unless that is their intended long-term sentiment.
The OP could be a geriatrophobe?
Gerontophobia or gerascophobia. Just FYI :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

worzel

Postby worzel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 am

It's the idiot with the camera riding in the wrong lane to overtake them and about to collide with a solitary rider coming the other way that angers me. :wink:

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:26 am

Particularly as he's riding backwards so that his rearward facing camera can pick up the oncoming cyclist.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 pm

I almost always see the yellow brigade when I am riding into work. Saw 3 separate groups of them yesterday about 100-200 metres apart.

Never had any problem with them being aggressive or narky. My mate and I were 2 abreast on the psp (entirely in our lane) as were they. No dramas.

Good to see folks out on a bike I reckon.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:02 pm

worzel wrote:It's the idiot with the camera riding in the wrong lane to overtake them and about to collide with a solitary rider coming the other way that angers me. :wink:
Point. And it's early morning when riders heading north (towards camera) are common on that stretch. Not a place to pass, made even worse when it is on a long climb with a blind hump up ahead. Indeed prolly why the camera person got caught hanging out there in the first place.

AnnoyedRider, if you are the camera person you may care to adjust your handle to AnnoyingRider.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:27 pm

If it is a rear facing camera then there is no issue. If front facing my only comment in defence of annoyedrider, is the long pack could probably be a little more curtious and leave a few gaps/single file in hard to pass areas so peeps can pass safely. 20+ riders doubled up with no gaps could be a daunting overtake for the inexperienced PSP user.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 pm

3 posts in total over 6 months just to bag some fellow riders and not a single post in any other thread.

softy

Postby softy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Bartek wrote:Western Australia Road Traffic Code 2000, Part 15 Section 216.
This needs to be nailed to the for'head of every bikeshop/club ride organiser.
Hee hee

I see riders two abreast often, I have also seen a group riding south on the same path hogging the whole lane. Absolutely inconsiderate. Even peds have to get off the path. I bet it is them and yes it is against the law, but so many do it!

They were not the yellow jersey over 55 crowd, these ones I saw all attired differently.

farnorth

Postby farnorth » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:02 pm

The over 55s usually ride in single file. Sometimes one group of >55s has to pass another bunch, which can look like a large group riding two abreast.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:17 am

farnorth wrote:The over 55s usually ride in single file. Sometimes one group of >55s has to pass another bunch, which can look like a large group riding two abreast.
My regular weekend and week days rides include:
  • Thee stretch along the Freeway covering Brentwood/Bullcreek
  • The Esplanade between Mt Henry Bridge and Canning Bridge
  • The Freeway shared path from Canning Bridge to The Narrows
As people on this forum will be aware I do those maybe more often than any other rider in Perth. I feel I can fairly claim to be aware of the over 55's group riding behaviour. Certainly the riders that radiate out from Deep Water Point.

IMO they are about as safe and responsible as the best. While I am sure others can point to rare errors, I would be hard pressed to recall any instance, whether we are talking speed, passing, unpredictability, courtesy or space, where they have ridden inappropriately .

Which for groups that can sometimes be around twenty strong, that is amazing.

Talking group riders generally, there is some inherent danger in group rides done at speed for wind-efficiency during peak times on shared paths. Nevertheless I wonder if group riders of all levels of experience would benefit from an occasional ride with them.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.