Can this group please tone it down a bit on the Kwinana PSP

annoyedrider

Can this group please tone it down a bit on the Kwinana PSP

Postby annoyedrider » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:19 am

Hello

Today was likely the 5th time in recent weeks that a group of riders mostly wearing long sleeve jellow jerseys come down the Kwinana Freeway PSP southbound and have some riders riding completely in the other lane of traffic. A few weeks ago I had to nearly go off the road on my MTB to make way for you guys.

This morning I yelled out "Single file mate" to a guy who was riding completely in the opposite lane of traffic, not even making any attempt to keep to his lane, by this comment I was met with yelling of "shut the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! up mate" from the group... great work guys.

Please tone it down, one day you're going to gun someone off the road.

Clintoo

Re: Can this group please tone it down a bit on the Kwinana

Postby Clintoo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:17 pm

maybe this group.

http://o55perth.bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see them a couple of times a week. Generally they seem to ride to conditions and on the whole they seem quite considerate of others. Occasionally there are 1 or 2 of them in the other lane but they are aware enough to move over. I would rate them better than most bigger groups on the PSP.

but perhaps not them if they are swearing back at you.

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:21 pm

ha ha I doubt it's them. I get caught behind them sometimes on the way through south perth and they all shout out "Rider back, bike back" all the way up the line.

I know, older folk and great to see them out but I do think its funny listening to them...sounds like ducks quacking!

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:25 pm

annoyedrider wrote:This morning I yelled out "Single file mate" to a guy who was riding completely in the opposite lane of traffic, not even making any attempt to keep to his lane, by this comment I was met with yelling of "shut the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! up mate" from the group... great work guys.
After that response I'd be making no attempt to get out of the way in future. Then again I weigh 105kg and my high school physics classes tell me that my resultant change in velocity won't likely be as large as theirs... :evil:
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Postby 446006 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:41 pm

I concur, have had to take drastic action moving to the left because some fools love to not ride single file and think because the paths have been widened its ok to ride DOUBLE and A HALF file over the line onto on coming traffic. Met with a F off after yelling move over when passing. They should retire from riding before causing a train wreck!

annoyedrider

Postby annoyedrider » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Clintoo wrote:maybe this group.

I'd hate to say it but I'm 99% sure it is them. I'll have my gopro on when riding again this week so I guess I will have pics/vids up within the week of them doing the same thing. This is really disappointing as I'm sure they would/should know much better.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:13 pm

This isnt a single case. Just on the weekend, I saw 4 riders riding 2 abreast on the skinny Coast to Vines bike track drafting each other clearly going for some kind of strava PR and made zero attempt to go single file and almost clipping oncoming traffic. It felt like it was the case of 'we are the bigger peleton, you must make way for us'. I swear it was cm's between handlebars
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:18 pm

I often wonder what might happen if we didn't get out of their way? :? :(
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Clintoo wrote:maybe this group.

I see them a couple of times a week. Generally they seem to ride to conditions and on the whole they seem quite considerate of others. Occasionally there are 1 or 2 of them in the other lane but they are aware enough to move over. I would rate them better than most bigger groups on the PSP.

I know these guys and yeah I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if it were them. They don't ever appear to be "that" fast and do call up and down the line. If it were them, and given their online presence, I would suggest a polite message including a copy of the GoPro. If their reputation is accurate the offending party/ies might find themselves having to find another group to ride with.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Postby 446006 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Its like lets play "CHICKENS" cause they know the general cycling core "WILL" move over! and we generally DO!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 pm

I make it very clear I'm not moving over and will ride toward centre of lane to make sure they keep left. Had some close calls but they do manage to squeeze across. You've got to hold your line so they get the message. And the OP is right in letting them know verbally. You might get some lip but hopefully it might slowly sink in to 'KEEP LEFT'. They are probably the same car morons that sit in the right hand lane when the LH lanes free :roll:

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Maybe some bicycle jousting is in order? ;)

David

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 pm

The over 55's publish their rides in advance. Today's ride was around Burswood.

I regularly see them and they are very proactive at calling and single file on shared paths.

Please post the footage as if it is the over 55's, it can be passed onto where I'm sure will be as feedback to their members.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:44 pm

Just ride a cargobike, no jousting required. If the 160kg of me and the big cargobike met you and your carbon racer head on, it'd be like a scene out of Mad Max and I'm the tanker, you're the thing in my front grill. You just need to ride a bigger, heavier, wider bike.

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:37 am

crikey i'd be very surprised if it were the o 55s they always seem well behaved when i see them...i am slow but i am mostly way faster than them..hang on i am over 55 too ha ha i keep forgetting i'm old now... i see this a lot but mostly with parents and kids and lots of lycra brothers and sometimes sisters in groups but i do like in traffic and own the lane so far it works for me... please cant we all just get along... :)
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

worzel

Postby worzel » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 am

I have also seen that group a few times and they seem very courteous. Their communications up and down the line are something to behold! The only issue I had with them was that they were maintaining a long single file line but riding slowly and without any gaps and so it took me a couple of km (Scarbs) to find a straight stretch to overtake them all in one go.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:51 pm

annoyedrider wrote:Hello

Today was likely the 5th time in recent weeks that a group of riders mostly wearing long sleeve jellow jerseys come down the Kwinana Freeway PSP southbound and have some riders riding completely in the other lane of traffic. A few weeks ago I had to nearly go off the road on my MTB to make way for you guys.

This morning I yelled out "Single file mate" to a guy who was riding completely in the opposite lane of traffic, not even making any attempt to keep to his lane, by this comment I was met with yelling of "shut the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! up mate" from the group... great work guys.

Please tone it down, one day you're going to gun someone off the road.
Sounds like an encounter I have had on the RSP around Trinity area in East Perth. It's only a 2.5ish wide path with a heap of curves and these clowns were riding all across the path. Similar response to my recommendation of moving over.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 pm

flashpixx wrote:I often wonder what might happen if we didn't get out of their way? :? :(
just make sure you're appropriately attired:

inflammatory statement or idea

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Why not flip this issue, if they don't like the suggestion keeping left, ride European in the right lane to see if they prefer that option. More effective it's a combined chopper and cargo bike owners tribute to jousting knights winter ride (because 23c tyres on drying damp paths will make it more interesting).

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:34 pm

crazioldjane wrote:crikey i'd be very surprised if it were the o 55s they always seem well behaved when i see them...i am slow but i am mostly way faster than them..hang on i am over 55 too ha ha i keep forgetting i'm old now... i see this a lot but mostly with parents and kids and lots of lycra brothers and sometimes sisters in groups but i do like in traffic and own the lane so far it works for me... please cant we all just get along... :)
I'm not surprised at all. The Over 55's that get around Mandurah are all over the shop.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:06 am

Cant speak for Mandurah but I have ridden with the over 55 club for a couple of years and have never heard of anyone from a ride swearing at another rider. However with 500 members or thereabouts its not possible to say it has never happened.

Most rides are well handled and we call rider up, rider back etc etc. The rules are that its single file but Some of the slower groups have new riders who are learning the rules so may be a little unfamiliar with "the rules". Mostly with new riders, we call hazards down the line early, so riders if they are out of position get back into position in the group quickly.

Anyway I have ridden on various narrow PSPs and have been confronted various peletons with bunched up riders from clubs and social, whom I can identify but prefer not to, (and are not with our club) with riders two a breast, and have had to keep extreme left to avoid them. Most bunches are no problem to me I just try and avoid them.
So the moral of the story is if everyone was courteous and patient we would have a much nicer experience on the road, what irks me most, is people who have real anger management issues being on the road, and letting their life's frustrations out on all others who are on the road, so what I say to them is get some anger management therapy and leave everyone else to enjoy their ride even if its slightly inconveniences or irks you.

If you have a genuine claim call the club president and if you can identify the ride (its on the website) but time and date and location will do, he'll speak to the ride leader who is responsible for that group, and will identify and speak to the old guy who' trying to kill you.

PS this is not a club response its just a riders personal opinion.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:32 am

The kwinana psp can accomodate 4 riders across it easily (2 abreast each way) but it requires people to actually want it to work. I see it work most weekends. If the left rider keeps left, the right rider can easily get his/her bike inside the centre line.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:04 am

Western Australia Road Traffic Code 2000

Part 15 — Additional provisions for bicycle riders

216. Shared Paths and Separated Footpaths

(4) A person shall not ride a bicycle on a separated footpath or a shared path so that the bicycle is travelling abreast of any other bicycle on the path.
Modified penalty: 1 PU

(5) Subregulation (4) does not prevent a cyclist from overtaking or passing other persons riding bicycles on the path.
(6) For the purposes of this regulation, a bicycle is abreast of another bicycle if any part of it is by the side of any part of the other.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:08 am

Bartek wrote:Western Australia Road Traffic Code 2000, Part 15 Section 216.
This needs to be nailed to the for'head of every bikeshop/club ride organiser.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:15 am

This is a nice group riding article for those choosing discretion. Just don't hold hands too long =D

https://humancyclist.wordpress.com/2013 ... ide-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;