Nalder gets it wrong

Timeonabike

Nalder gets it wrong

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Just saw a nice big article in the West today, one of Nalder's proposals was to increase PSP widths to 5m accommodate more patronage.

WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!

Peds and bikes need to be separated!
Imagine how many more earphone wearing, dog walkin, pram pushin peds you can fit side by side on a 5m PSP.
On the other hand, imagine the amount of cyclists you could fit side by side - this'd also be a problem.

Slow points were also mentioned, again if the peds had their own space, then we wouldn't really need this type of thing.

Sheesh,

Rant ends.

Time

hiflange

Re: Nalder gets it wrong

Postby hiflange » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Are we ready for separated ped and cycle paths? The only one I've used is through Subi and half the peds walk on the cycle only section in blissful ignorance.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Agreed, but without them PSP troubles will only get worse.

I have confidence in the ability of folks to get the idea once they see more of it around, plus are reminded politely to stick to their bit (and give them a nice colour to perambulate on - we've already got lifesaving green paint - maybe they could have blue?).

I'd hate to miss the opportunity to get some world standard bicycle infrastructure in place.

Cheers,

Time

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Timeonabike wrote:Just saw a nice big article in the West today, one of Nalder's proposals was to increase PSP widths to 5m accommodate more patronage.
Take the money and walk slowly and quietly away
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:21 pm

RobertFrith wrote:Are we ready for separated ped and cycle paths? The only one I've used is through Subi and half the peds walk on the cycle only section in blissful ignorance.
and even more bicycle riders deliberately ride on the pedestrian side ... for 95% of shared paths there is no need for separation but there is a need for wider safer paths.

This is something that Bicycle advocacy groups such as Bicycle Transport Alliance have raised with the Minister in the past so good to see they are being listened to.

Andrew

CycleSnail

Nalder gets it right!

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Timeonabike wrote:Just saw a nice big article in the West today, one of Nalder's proposals was to increase PSP widths to 5m accommodate more patronage.

WRONG!
WRONG!
WRONG!

Peds and bikes need to be separated!
Imagine how many more earphone wearing, dog walkin, pram pushin peds you can fit side by side on a 5m PSP.
On the other hand, imagine the amount of cyclists you could fit side by side - this'd also be a problem.

Slow points were also mentioned, again if the peds had their own space, then we wouldn't really need this type of thing.

Sheesh,

Rant ends.

Time
...on the other hand, if we would have PLANNED a five (or six) meter reserve for all Principal SHARED Paths, we would be able to separate people on bicycles from people walking when the volumes are high, and allow for cycling as a social activity when the volumes are low.

I for one am very happy to see the PSP width increased to five or six meters. And just think of the expensive PSP bits, the underpasses and overpasses. It is impossibly expensive to change their width once they are built. Just imagine if the City West PSP had that extra width available.....

The urban sections of the PSP network are not training tracks or racing tracks, and they should never be....

As Thoglette says "Take the money and walk slowly and quietly away"
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Valid points, and I do applaud the work done in getting the Minister to this stage.
Also, it's great to see positive daily cycling news in the local rag; shame it will have to end at the end of bike week.

As is obvious, my issue is with the 'S' in PSP - and being concerned that the powers that be consider that PSPs are THE answer to managing people on bikes and people on feet.
Separation of modes works, and in the end will make things safer if all participate.
3 ways or no way in my view.

Anyway, if we can get 5 or 6m width installed, at least it will leave room for a separated solution further down the line - I just hate to see things having to be done twice.

Cheers,

Time

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Do it right the first time is a great ideal to save extra expense like the graham farmer freeway etc etc.

Whilst it isn't perfect any progress is progress and where cycling sits currently in wa I think we should take it and smile

wellington_street

Re: Nalder gets it right!

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:48 pm

CycleSnail wrote:...on the other hand, if we would have PLANNED a five (or six) meter reserve for all Principal SHARED Paths, we would be able to separate people on bicycles from people walking when the volumes are high, and allow for cycling as a social activity when the volumes are low.

I for one am very happy to see the PSP width increased to five or six meters. And just think of the expensive PSP bits, the underpasses and overpasses. It is impossibly expensive to change their width once they are built. Just imagine if the City West PSP had that extra width available.....

The urban sections of the PSP network are not training tracks or racing tracks, and they should never be....

As Thoglette says "Take the money and walk slowly and quietly away"
+1

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Thoglette wrote: Take the money and walk slowly and quietly away
Agree ....but the the money bag might be full of monopoly money. I think the money would be better spent on widening main arterial roads by 1-1.5m and adding bike lanes like Great Eastern Hwy. I know you still have car/ bike interaction, but with a lot of underground power going in leaving verges more available to road widenings (bar light poles) i think you would get more bang for your buck.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:08 am

RobertFrith wrote:Are we ready for separated ped and cycle paths? The only one I've used is through Subi and half the peds walk on the cycle only section in blissful ignorance.
there is a separated path in Vic Park along the foreshore. Works a treat :D
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7