Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

moosterbounce

Re: Signs painted either side of Narrows

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:04 am

^ like :)

rodneythellama

PLEASE SLOW DOWN

Postby rodneythellama » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:09 am

There are also blue signs with a cyclist and "PLEASE SLOW DOWN" stuck down in various places at least as far south as Murdoch Station. Their positioning seems to be more or less arbitrary, not especially related to the path conditions.

No-one can disagree with the general sentiment of encouraging safety and "politeness".

What I found particularly touching was the placement of cyclist PLEASE SLOW DOWN signs along the section of PSP between Mt Henry Bridge and Cranford Ave. The path here is quite narrow and winding, with bumps and all, leading up to the crossing at Cranford Ave where you are prone to cars speeding on and off the freeway.

I had already sent in my suggestions for what to do about the PSP here. Call me ungrateful but the gluing down of blue advisory messages was not among my hopes for action to improve the PSP.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:33 am

3 ways or no way...

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:35 am

moosterbounce wrote:^ like :)
+1

We could do with those on the Mitchell PSP. I think most pedestrians just think naughty cyclists are riding on their footpath and do not recognise it is for sharing.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:47 am

There are at least 3 variants as far south as Cockburn I think, with be aware (with a pic of cyclist and pedestrian) and please ring your bell around intersections, plus the please slow down ones at perceived danger points. I was concerned they'd be very slippery this morning, new paint and wet path, but seem ok.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Are they painted on? or like a big sticker? Ther are some on a local path and it seems that the late-friday-night-crowd delight in attempting to remove them. Most I've seem are partially pulled off.

But yes, they are a good idea. The local ones are 'keep left' or 'ring when passing' i think.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Should be signs saying "All Users Single File" Bikes and Walkers
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 pm

It's a nice idea to switch it to more personal communication "please look out for each other" rather than the usual Perth rules and regulations.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:52 pm

There is one located under the narrows, south Perth side where the top left corner is sticking up. Reported to MainRoads as it is a hazard.

Haven't seen them on the Mitchell Fway PSP, or the PSP section to Subiaco, only on the south side. From this observation, you south boys need to be reminded otherwise, why install these signs?

Wonder if they could also be stuck on roads, indicating 1m matters.

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 am

Troy C wrote:Should be signs saying "All Users Single File" Bikes and Walkers
Is there a law that says pedestraians should be going single file, or are you speaking of general courtesy?
I run the Canning Bridge - Subiaco several mornings a week and could fill a book with expletives about lack of courtesy from people overtaking me on bikes.
* its worth noting I also ride my bike along the same section ~ albiet a much longer route when i'm on two wheels.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:43 am

Others can quote the legislation but basically
pedestrians (or cyclists) should not be travelling two-abreast on the PSPs,
pedestrians should not walk counterflow (on the wrong side of the path, into oncoming traffic)
and although they may have 'right of way' this a legal phrasing for the protection of the slower moving folk, not to proclaim yourself prince of all you see. Perhaps as a counter to this there is an offence for pedestrians who block traffic.

I got stuck once trying to cross the Causeway during a walking event, it was however funny to watch all the walkers going two-abreast each way and the pairs not wanting to yield to each other, 'right of way' sparring. When bad habits collide.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:20 pm

They are all over the joint south of Mt Henry. I'm a fan of the one addressed to iPeds, "Please Be Aware"
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

rodneythellama

Postby rodneythellama » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:21 pm

1. Go easy on the peds they won't kill you.

2. bychosis: the signs are glued on. When they were putting them down, I can't remember seeing a peel-off backing.

3. rolandp: along the PSP in Mt Pleasant there is one with the corner lifting up, and one which was completely removed. I like your line of thinking with stickers on roads ... it would be nice to see "please slow down" signs at the PSP/Cranford Ave intersection at least.

4. Robinho: There are "please slow down" stickers at the danger points (underpasses) near Leach Hwy. But there are also "please slow down" in seemingly random places where you wouldn't need to slow down (at least I perceive no danger).

5. To my mind, the placement of "please slow down" signs at the underpasses near Leach Hwy is a condemnation of the design (it was rebuilt not so long ago). That is, the underpasses were designed too narrow, the corners were designed too tight, and the gradients are too steep.

6. I note that the problem with water run-off from the South St interchange is brought clearly into view by the new blue stickers. Pretty much every time it rains significantly, there is sand washed onto the path at the tight blind corner under the freeway on-ramp in Bateman. You can see the sand now obscures the sign.

7. While I was posing my bike for the photo, I hit my head on this sign and cut my skin. This made me wonder about the purpose of a direction sign with no directions. It's a pity that Main Roads haven't fixed the signs that they have already before putting up new ones (of questionable utility).

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Took the Van Moof up to the Bikeweek brekky at the Raffles today, and saw these stickers on the path.
I wonder how slippery they get in the wet?

Breakfast was good - hotdogs and coffee - true breakfast of champions.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:30 am

Heaps of these signs appeared yesterday afternoon along the Mitchell Freeway PSP- something blue and repetitive to look out for. I did notice also some new intersection markings on entrances to the PSP north of Glendalough Station- ie give way etc.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:11 am

CXCommuter wrote:Heaps of these signs appeared yesterday afternoon along the Mitchell Freeway PSP- something blue and repetitive to look out for. I did notice also some new intersection markings on entrances to the PSP north of Glendalough Station- ie give way etc.
they will have started to fall off in a couple of days then, I think I've spotted about 5 on my ride by the side of the path

matthecat

Postby matthecat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:51 pm

Also on the PSP out towards Midland yesterday

redned

Postby redned » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:35 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Others can quote the legislation but basically
pedestrians (or cyclists) should not be travelling two-abreast on the PSPs,
pedestrians should not walk counterflow (on the wrong side of the path, into oncoming traffic)
and although they may have 'right of way' this a legal phrasing for the protection of the slower moving folk, not to proclaim yourself prince of all you see. Perhaps as a counter to this there is an offence for pedestrians who block traffic.
Cyclists definitely should not travel two abreast on shared paths. It breaches the road traffic code. Pedestrians have no such obligation.
Although I am sympathetic with your view on the convention, pedestrians also have no obligation to walk on the left. There is no "wrong" side of the path. Pedestrians can't create an obstruction, but walking two abreast or counterflow is not an obstruction.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Redned is correct.

In 2000 the Road Traffic Code was revised and deliberately removed an requirement for pedestrians to walk on the left on shared paths. The reason for this was that pedestrians are required to walk on the right, facing oncoming traffic, when walking on the road, to be consistent they are permitted to walk on the right facing oncoming bike traffic on shared paths although many do walk left.

Essentially shared paths are footpaths which cyclists 'may' share while pedestrians are merely 'encouraged' to share 'their' path. To take the Dutch concept of bicycle roads where cars are allowed to share, the cyclist only rides as the 'guest'.

For this reason cyclists have got to start campaigning for their own BIKE paths. Shared paths are a poor substitute for faster cyclist facilities because they belong to pedestrians not cyclists. And that what the law says.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Troy C wrote:Should be signs saying "All Users Single File" Bikes and Walkers
ru serious? Why would a pair of walkers want to walk in company one behind the other?

People have been walking together for a hundred thousand years. Why should they lose one of lifes simple uncomplicated pleasures just because technology gives us bikes and you and I take up riding?

Peds in pairs on paths are seldom a problem. I wish I could say the same about riders.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Yes I am serious
Why, because the Dual Use Path is not wide enough.
I understand your point, but The modern PSP does not accommodate .
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Troy C wrote:Yes I am serious
Why, because the Dual Use Path is not wide enough.
I understand your point, but The modern PSP does not accommodate .
playing devils advocate, most PSP's I see and ride on are wide enough to accommodate 2 people walking or jogging side by side. Yes they take up a full "lane" but in that case I need to move over to safely pass where there is sufficient space and visibility or slow until there is. Same as you'd expect a car to do behind you on the road. Most of the time of you do that, and/or ring a bell they move into single file or take a step onto the grass, very few make it difficult. It's not ideal, and I'd far rather a path which was dedicated to bikes to allow uninterrupted progress, but it's a start

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:35 pm

Peds on the PSP are just a part of life. If they are two wide they are two wide. I would like to see them confined to one lane if possible or as close as they can get to it. Oversize loads on the road don't always fit in the lane properly either but we manage to get past when it's safe to do so.

Although I don't think it's allowed, I have no issue with riders two abreast either if they can keep inside the dividing line.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

worzel

Postby worzel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:32 am

I noticed today there are similar signs all the way down the Mitchell PSP too. These ones say for peds to be aware / cyclists to ring their bell (we all know that is as likely to make a ped jump into your path as keep over). I have a couple of observations:

-They are placed only about 5m from the side paths so by the time a cyclists sees them and processes what they say they will be 50m past the junction so presumably they are aimed more at peds?
-There was nothing within a couple of km either side of Greenwood station which is one of the worst spots for swerving around people getting off the train with their head still in a book / smartphone. (Hopefully that is because they are going to resurface it - wishful thinking?)
-There were cones / a large yellow sign telling pedestrians (no mention of cyclists) to be cautious which were almost entirely blocking the path just north of Warwick station - I assume that is because another sign is to be installed there?