Cedric St Crossing, Stirling - this is getting worst

rolandp

Cedric St Crossing, Stirling - this is getting worst

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:22 am

Cedric St crossing for those who don't ride the Mitchell Fway PSP, is one of the missing links on this section where you ride on a 10m section of shared path alongside Cedric St, cross over 2 lanes of east travelling Cedric lanes, wait on a small road divider to cross 2 lanes of west traffic.

Some riders take the option of riding the small section of Cedric St east, and access the divider that way.

State Government installed the additional parking bays for Stirling Station 2 years ago which required additional traffic lights which changed the traffic patterns in the area.

It was always a bad intersection, but since Christmas I think it has got worst as you sit on that divider waiting and waiting, and if you are lucky, a motorist will be kind and wave you through and you are even more lucky and there isn't another car in the second lane and you can make use of that kind motorists wave.

Yesterday was one of those days where we couldn't get a break, and there was around 10 of us crowded on that divider, with a couple more waiting on the other side of Cedric St, and oncoming cyclists from the other direction also playing 'frogger' attempting to get over.

3 cyclists decided to jump the queue and use the right lane on the divider. I pointed out to the lead cyclists that there was a queue and small discussion occurred where the lead rider pointed out that that if he had not used the right lane of the divider he would be left on the road - valid point but you choose to ride on Cedric St and have now entered an intersection where there is no room except in the right lane and there is only one lane for you to use which we are in.

The trouble is, this intersection was identified in the original 1996 Bike Network Plan and is still outstanding. It was also identified in the current WA Bike Plan but is linked to the Stirling Alliance (which closed its door in Dec-2013) so it is unknown now how the current WA Bike Plan will prioritize this crossing.

So in the short term, look out for your fellow cyclists and don't queue jump and wait for all of us to cross safely, including oncoming cyclists.

And report this intersection to City of Stirling, Main Roads, Minister of Transport etc so that this can be finally addressed.

worzel

Re: Cedric St Crossing, Stirling - this is getting worst

Postby worzel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:44 am

It is only the third worst crossing after Hutton St and Karrinyup but I agree it is a problem. I probably ride through there about 7.15am each morning when it is not too bad, but if I ride in later it can be. I also find that it is not so bad in Winter, partly as there are less cyclists about but there always seem to be fewer cars around too - I assume tradies go to work later? Westbound cars will generally stop and let you cross if they are held by a queue for the lights. But it is a bit frustrating when you pass someone only for them to pass you back by taking stupid risks crossing that junction but then that happens at all junctions.

I often see people taking a third option southbound - straight across all 5 lanes (including turning lane) which I am not brave enough to do and requires a bunny hop up a kerb. The Mitchell PSP has enough ways to damage my bike without seeking more.

Going north at night the biggest issue for me is the steep climb to Cedric St which is blind until you get near the top. Timing getting your foot out of the clip is critical, or you can grab the rail.

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:48 pm

I hate this crossing as despite the fact the cars are usually heading to a red light they feel the need to speed up and close the gap, I suspect purely to stop us cyclists crossing the road :?

Today was one of the few mornings that there wasn't a million bikes in the center island and a car slowed and flashed his lights for me to cross...better buy a lotto ticket must be my lucky day.

Sorry to nit pick, but title should read "this is getting worse."

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Can anyone share a Google Map link for this intersection?

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 pm

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/31 ... !1s0x0:0x0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 am

worzel wrote:It is only the third worst crossing after Hutton St and Karrinyup but I agree it is a problem. I probably ride through there about 7.15am each morning when it is not too bad, but if I ride in later it can be. I also find that it is not so bad in Winter, partly as there are less cyclists about but there always seem to be fewer cars around too - I assume tradies go to work later? Westbound cars will generally stop and let you cross if they are held by a queue for the lights. But it is a bit frustrating when you pass someone only for them to pass you back by taking stupid risks crossing that junction but then that happens at all junctions.

I often see people taking a third option southbound - straight across all 5 lanes (including turning lane) which I am not brave enough to do and requires a bunny hop up a kerb. The Mitchell PSP has enough ways to damage my bike without seeking more.

Going north at night the biggest issue for me is the steep climb to Cedric St which is blind until you get near the top. Timing getting your foot out of the clip is critical, or you can grab the rail.
Nothing wrong with Hutton and Karrinyup if you wait for the lights :wink:. I would put Cedric above these two intersections as there is NO avenue for safe crossing when traffic is heavy- at least at the other intersections there are traffic lights.

This whole PSP is a dogs breakfast left out in the sun too long.

worzel

Postby worzel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:16 pm

CXCommuter wrote: Nothing wrong with Hutton and Karrinyup if you wait for the lights :wink:. I would put Cedric above these two intersections as there is NO avenue for safe crossing when traffic is heavy- at least at the other intersections there are traffic lights.
I get your point, however you cross in 4 separate steps at Karrinyup, 6 at Hutton St and not all of them have traffic lights to stop cars for you and at Hutton St there is virtually no gap between the flow of cars exiting Ossie Park and joining the freeway north and the commencement of cars turning on to the freeway from the east so you still have to cross yourself and jump out - certainly no room for more than 2 bikes to get across in each sequence of lights. Maybe it is the time of day I ride, but the traffic at Cedric is far lighter than the other two with regular gaps appearing.

But the fundamental issue is that it is ridiculous that the main cycle path from the north expects you to cross busy junctions like these rather than having grade separated crossings.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:12 pm

worzel wrote:
CXCommuter wrote: Nothing wrong with Hutton and Karrinyup if you wait for the lights :wink:. I would put Cedric above these two intersections as there is NO avenue for safe crossing when traffic is heavy- at least at the other intersections there are traffic lights.
I get your point, however you cross in 4 separate steps at Karrinyup, 6 at Hutton St and not all of them have traffic lights to stop cars for you and at Hutton St there is virtually no gap between the flow of cars exiting Ossie Park and joining the freeway north and the commencement of cars turning on to the freeway from the east so you still have to cross yourself and jump out - certainly no room for more than 2 bikes to get across in each sequence of lights. Maybe it is the time of day I ride, but the traffic at Cedric is far lighter than the other two with regular gaps appearing.

But the fundamental issue is that it is ridiculous that the main cycle path from the north expects you to cross busy junctions like these rather than having grade separated crossings.
You missed my wink Worzel- they are still terrible- Cedric in the morning particularly is really bad with banked traffic trying to get onto the freeway.

worzel

Postby worzel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:53 pm

CXCommuter wrote: You missed my wink Worzel- they are still terrible- Cedric in the morning particularly is really bad with banked traffic trying to get onto the freeway.
I didn't miss it, I just took it to mean "but who actually waits for the lights" (in which case it would take you 10 minutes / 3 changes). Cedric isn't too bad at stupid o'clock in the morning, except in January when everyone gets up at 5-6 am.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Regarding Cedric Street, from Roland's bad day example, it looks better to actually to turn left onto Cedric road for immediate turn right at George Street where you have a turning lane and farther vision to pick a gap, possibly with some rolling speed, to then effect a U-turn onto the paved shared path towards Stirling station, then turn left back onto the PSP south bound, cutting the grass corner downhill to avoid the tight turn with poles in middle of a narrow path.

That option can keep you rolling the whole time, not bunching at island, and you have head on vision when you make the turn instead of stationary frogger. It may not be quicker but feels more in control and safer the rare times I'd done it when it's been a bad day. Regular commuter motorists often get it and stop pro-actively to avoid the situation. Clear way non-slippery road marking with crossing zig zag before it would have been nice when they upgraded the parking intersection =P

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:33 am

Or ride down to the lights at the car park and cross there? No bicycle lanterns but at least a possibly safer crossing?