The (super-competitive) hare and the tortoise

worzel

The (super-competitive) hare and the tortoise

Postby worzel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Inspired by Roland’s Cedric St post about manners I thought I would share my ride in today.

Going through Joondalup this morning I started to reel in the guy in front. By Edgewater I was on him and getting ready to pass as we left the PSP and joined Camarino Drive. At that point he noticed I was behind him and he set off like a scalded cat, determined I was not going to pass him. Of course, he couldn’t maintain that pace and I closed him down again, but at the next junction he stood up and raced off ahead. This went on at every junction. I was in a relaxed mood this morning so let him go knowing a safe, easy passing place would eventually arise.

On the run down to Trailwood Park he drifted into the middle of the road (without indicating or looking over his shoulder) forcing a car on to the other side of the road as it overtook him. Now technically the car had crossed a solid white line but it gave him at least 2m width, passed slowly on a clear section of road. But the dude took great offence and flicked him the V’s very aggressively a couple of times - completely unnecessary and giving cyclists in general a bad rep.

Again I caught him a few times around Duncraig and could have passed him but he rode down the middle of the road, seemingly daring me to undertake him. When I did show him a wheel he then drifted left across me to cut me off. He got held up by other bikes around Karrinyup Road until he could eventually barge past them. But he never looked over his shoulder nor gave an indication to those of us behind him when he did so. I did manage to pass him at Cedric Street when I got my foot back in the clip before he did, but of course he came bombing past me then dropped in front of me and slowed me down along Telford Crescent.

A fast guy in blue then came past the both of us and that riled him again. He chased him down but this time did not pass, I think it was a case of couldn’t rather than wouldn’t this time. At Hutton St he took a gamble crossing the main lanes between fast cars but was then held up by a B-Double waiting to turn west. He (and another guy) decided to ride the wrong way down a one way street to get behind the back of the truck, which then moved on anyway so he did not gain any time from it.

Having pushed himself too hard he then seemed to hit the wall around Glendalough. There was an ever growing queue of bikes behind him but he still wouldn’t let anyone pass and but hadn’t got the legs to pass the bikes in front. When we looped back onto the PSP at Powis Street the guy in blue re-took him and he dug deep down into his hyper-competitive soul and gave chase and actually overtook him again by the time we got to Leederville. Partly because I start my cool down (in both senses) at that point and partly as I decided discretion was the better part of valour now the PSP had become really busy I let him go and he went straight on at Loftus Street. Strictly speaking, the hare beat the tortoise on this occasion but it was a close thing.

What amazed me most out of all of this was that this was not a 20-something jacked up on testosterone, but a grey-haired bloke probably in his early 50’s. I long since realised it is a far nicer / safer experience, for yourself and others, commuting when you dial it back from 11.

alh9a5

Re: The (super-competitive) hare and the tortoise

Postby alh9a5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:45 pm

That sounds like an interesting ride.
Never really understood why some people seem obsessed with staying in front, though this guys sounds down right dangerous and deserves a good talking too. Its pinheads like this that cause bottlenecks on the paths, which lets face are small enough as is in perfect riding conditions with confident, competent cyclists around.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Well when you are cashed up and have a $10k bike - you have to lead the pack, no?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:24 pm

wasn't me, I promise :o 8)

sounds like the type of rider to stay well clear of. Depending on how bad his behaviour was I'd even slow or stop to let him get well ahead.

Strange how some people act, like it''s their own personal piece of roadway. There are plenty of drivers with the same mentality. :?
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

ikm

Postby ikm » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Lately I've found the slower I go along that track the more enjoyable the ride is. There is plenty of racing on at the moment, if these people want to race, they should go pin on a number and do it somewhere safe where everyone else is racing.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 am

Yep- coming into the soprtive season and best time to ride- lots of people coming into their "peak fitness" :roll: and wanting to "race". I am one of the faster riders on the PSP but not because I want to race but because I want to get home. I ride fats, slowing when pedestrians, dogs, other cyclists and at intersections. Some just see this as a winning opportunity- overtaking on the left (yep several times), screaming off at intersections then blowing up, dangerous half wheeling/wheelsucking while on clip on bars, not covering brakes whilst wheelsucking around pedestrian areas (Glendalough station areacomes to mind) overtaking into oncoming traffic, no signalling at all etc etc etc etc etc

The problem is there is NO accountability, no comeuppance, no reason for these dills to act sensibly, there is no people of authority around to bring these people into line (ironically when this does happen all I hear is bleating from cyclists about how hard done by they are :roll: and how those resource could be better used) and we as relatively sensible cyclists cannot really corner them- most times you get aggression and potential fighting/injury as a result.
I don't know the solution but I do know cyclists as a collective have a bad reputation and much of it is justified (IMHO) regardless of how the majority of cyclists behave and want to distance themselves from the twits.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:36 pm

ikm wrote:Lately I've found the slower I go along that track the more enjoyable the ride is. There is plenty of racing on at the moment, if these people want to race, they should go pin on a number and do it somewhere safe where everyone else is racing.
I found that years ago. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:41 am

crikey...i'm glad i dont get over glendalough way very often..
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:46 am

Isn't there a law against "riding furiously".... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Pyebibby

Postby Pyebibby » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:13 am

outnabike wrote:Isn't there a law against "riding furiously".... :)
Riding furiously is the only way to ride ;) it all comes down to the old strava PB for me. I'm never going. To get KOM on a section with 3000 people. So I just rrt beat my self. Always being infront deosnt help much

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Perhaps he had interval training day which you rudely interrupted. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]