Cyclist dies in Willetton crash

shutuplegs

Cyclist dies in Willetton crash

Postby shutuplegs » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:41 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/268 ... ton-crash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A cyclist rushed to hospital with serious injuries after an incident in Perth's southern suburbs this morning has died.

St John's Ambulance received a call from police about an unconscious man lying on the ground on a Willetton street around 6am.

The cyclist, aged in his 40s, collided with a car and was taken to Fiona Stanley Hospital under priority.

Major Crash Investigators are investigating the fatal crash that occurred at the intersection of High Road and Willeri Drive.

High Road westbound has been closed from Willeri Drive/Riley Road to Granville Way and motorists are urged to avoid the area.

A call for anyone with information as to the cyclist's identification is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Scary news once again... So many of us are out commuting at that time too thinking it'd be safer with less cars on the roads. I wonder what happened though.... more details to come.

Rex

Re: Cyclist dies in Willetton crash

Postby Rex » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Nasty intersection that one, crossing High Rd northbound in particular.

Thoughts are with his friends and family.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:13 pm

RIP rider, thoughts are with the families of both the rider and driver. Terrible, terrible situation to be in.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:17 pm

RIP fellow rider, condolences to family, friends & work colleagues

Another sad day for all West Aussie cyclists, starting to thinking its never going to end.

Stay safe out there everyone

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Shocked me when I read this. I use to live near there. Tough intersection. I took a longer path through Shelley to avoid high road.

Thoughts are with the family.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Judging by the photos it wasn't really at the Willeri Drv intersection but much further up the road here: https://goo.gl/maps/yggSA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo shows police holding the bike square against the bonnet, perhaps he was crossing High Rd toward the park/swimming complex?

I used to live around the corner and ride around these parts often, hence my interest.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Very sad indeed and to see that the rider is apparently still not identified a good 6 hours later adds another layer of poignancy :(

And the comments, dear me ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

craigg

Postby craigg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:49 pm

The article has been updated to state it appears the cyclist apparently wasn't wearing a helmet. From the photo the bike looks like a Malvern Star BSO with no front light and it appears to have been t-boned. According to the article it happened about 6am which is pre-dawn twilight at this time of year.

A horrible outcome and a reminder that safety is a shared responsibility.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Sad news.

40kSSW

Postby 40kSSW » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Very sad.

I live in the area and High Road can be a dangerous stretch to cycle along. I'm particularly concerned about the crossing at Vahland and High Road, where drivers frequently fail to signal their turns during the shared bike and pedestrian crossing. A potentially deadly mistake at a 70kmh crossing commonly used by schoolkids. Been meaning to write to the council or transport for a long time, suggesting a sign be put up reminding drivers to give way to crossing pedestrians. I mean, it's covered by the road rules but there's so many negligent drivers out there...

Does anyone know the best people to contact about this hazard?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:29 pm

craigg wrote:The article has been updated to state it appears the cyclist apparently wasn't wearing a helmet. From the photo the bike looks like a Malvern Star BSO with no front light and it appears to have been t-boned. According to the article it happened about 6am which is pre-dawn twilight at this time of year.

A horrible outcome and a reminder that safety is a shared responsibility.
Given that a simple stationary fall from standing is likely to kill you even if you are wearing a bicycle helmet, I seriously doubt a helmet would have helped much here.

Rest in peace, fella. :(

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Pls people, let's not turn this into another HHL/anti-MHL thread. We should know better.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Pls people, let's not turn this into another HHL/anti-MHL thread. We should know better.
Actually, I'm not sure the comment is out of context, though it may be incorrect.

I was T-boned by a car doing about 80-ish, my bike scissored over a kerb and embedded into the engine and I was thrown about 20m, after having one of the pedals pushed through my leg. The helmet did take damage and probably did assist significantly, because I almost certainly was bounced off the bonnet and hit a lot of stuff on the way to where they found my body amongst the trees later ( the bike was no longer visible post-crash ).

In this case, I'd say the helmet worked, and showed signs of having done so - Keep in mind that this was in the early days, pre-laws and it was a fairly solid helmet, not like the cheaper modern designs at all... So in those kinds of accidents, sure, your body takes a lot of other damage and the sensation is somewhat like being smashed into the ground over and over by a huge wave, and you can't breath either, but head impact does occur and will be sufficient to kill you...

The helmet took significant damage during the incident, but remained intact. It was also about the only thing comfortable after the crash too, because I couldn't move, but I remember it keeping my head in a comfortable position.

So, yeah, an accident like that isn't quite a walk-away from it encounter, but it is survivable.

Regards
David

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 pm

I think in this case we need to understand whether the unfortunate gentleman died of a head injury or other unsurvivable injuries which a helmet makes no difference too.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Tragic incident with a 65 year old visitor now dead :(

Something that concerned me about the update is:
It is understood he ... had no lights on his bike, which he was riding about half an hour before sunrise.
http://www.news.com.au/national/western ... 7284169550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is certainly not a comment to blame the victim. I have seen many ninjas when out driving and feel it is my responsibility to not run them down. Drivers need to really watch where they are going and there is no excuse for not doing so.

It still worries me that a person would ride out before sunrise wearing camo gear and with no lights. :(
<removed by request>

ramp

Postby ramp » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:13 pm

A cyclist who has died after a car crash in Willetton on Monday morning has been identified as a Chinese tourist visiting family in WA.

The 65-year-old man was struck about 6am at the intersection of High Road and Willeri Drive in the southern suburb and was brought to Fiona Stanley Hospital but died a short time later.

- AAP

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:08 pm

40kSSW wrote: I'm particularly concerned about the crossing at Vahland and High Road, where drivers frequently fail to signal their turns during the shared bike and pedestrian crossing.
Turning vehicles giving way to cyclists? Which road rule is that???

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:42 pm

RIP rider, but thoughts very much with driver. Don't know why they report its at an intersection when its 200m down the road on a straight section of dual lane.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:52 pm

ramp wrote:A cyclist who has died after a car crash in Willetton on Monday morning has been identified as a Chinese tourist visiting family in WA.
Looking at photos of the scene it looks like he was crossing High Road on a footpath to footpath crossing (Streetview).

My best guess is that, as a tourist coming from a country where they drive on the right, he has pulled out onto the road looking for traffic in the wrong direction directly in front of an on-coming car from the other side.

40kSSW

Postby 40kSSW » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Sinner wrote:
40kSSW wrote: I'm particularly concerned about the crossing at Vahland and High Road, where drivers frequently fail to signal their turns during the shared bike and pedestrian crossing.
Turning vehicles giving way to cyclists? Which road rule is that???
They're supposed to give way to pedestrians, but cyclists also use it. It's a parallel crossing, but with no pedestrian crossing lights:

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRo ... allel.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Scott_C wrote:
ramp wrote:A cyclist who has died after a car crash in Willetton on Monday morning has been identified as a Chinese tourist visiting family in WA.
Looking at photos of the scene it looks like he was crossing High Road on a footpath to footpath crossing (Streetview).

My best guess is that, as a tourist coming from a country where they drive on the right, he has pulled out onto the road looking for traffic in the wrong direction directly in front of an on-coming car from the other side.

What a crappy bit of infrastructure.
Obviously intended as a principal non-car way to get to the leisure center, with zero safety stuff in place.
Would be real easy to drive past this and not know it is there.