Mitchell PSP destroys bikes

worzel

Mitchell PSP destroys bikes

Postby worzel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:56 pm

To the existing list of: tail light, mudguard, garage door closer and broken spoke I can now add a gear cable to the list of things that have been lost / broken by riding over the bumps on the Mitchell PSP in the last 12 months. My computer is also starting to lose satellite connection occasionally which first started after hitting a tree root near Glendalough station. I spoke to the guys in Bikeforce last night and they said the Mitchell PSP is renown for it. They said riding a road bike on 23 tyres at 110-120 psi was asking for trouble and recommended changing to 25 tyres at 95-100 psi or even a bmx-cross. It is getting to the point where I am seriously thinking about just riding at weekends. Whinge over.
Last edited by worzel on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaseyjase

Re: Mitchell PSP destroys bikes

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:40 pm

been riding nearly 5 years and have yet to ride on the Mitchell PSP, thanks for reminding me why!

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Wow. Hadn't heard that before, but the paths north of the city are terrible.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Add a rear wheel to this- discussed on here somewhere- A large crack just south of Karrinyup Rd ripped spokes out of the rim. New rim and spokes paid for by MR as there was a history of reports about the crack over a series of months that hadn't been acted upon.

captain peacock

Postby captain peacock » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:58 pm

unless you are riding on silky smooth roads no one should be inflating to 110-120 unless you are a really big boy.

and its horses for courses, if i know i'm going to be riding on rough roads i'll drop it 10 from my usual.
Last edited by captain peacock on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:42 pm

captain peacock wrote:unless you are riding on silky smooth roads no one should be inflating to 100-120 unless you are a really big boy.
Of course, tell Veloflex and Vredestein that they have their inflation guidelines wrong

http://www.veloflex.it/products/master23.asp?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I can confirm at 68kg these 23mm babies at 110psi ride far smoother than my 25mm Conti's at 90 psi
Look at the sidewall of a tyre and run between the recommended guidelines- they all are different due to diffeent constructions/intended uses.
25mm tyres are too big for my frame FYI.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Clearly the Mitchell PSP is without doubt the worst PSP in the city by some margin. And it sure is taking a long time to fix it up and adjust it's alignment.

I changed from 23mm to 28mm on my commuter a couple years ago, the difference was massive. Where I had to stand up going over some bumps I can now stay seated. I run the 28mm at 90 psi or under, with a usual total weight of about 80kg. I have run them for months at a time at 70 psi no problems. Also provides more traction in the wet.

ikm

Postby ikm » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:05 pm

I run 35mm (AT) 75-80psi when I ride that track and still find it bumpy.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:47 am

Have you completed the Auditor Generals Survey, closes on Monday?

Other examples of poor maintenance of the Mitchell PSP:
Look Mum - I'm flying referred to by CX who broke his wheel - I think I should get a spotters fee for this one

PSP Maintenance includes several Google maps showing the larger bumps on several PSP's in Perth

I've also had broken spokes, pinched flats, lost lights, etc as a result of what I believe can be contributed to the PSP condition. Take the time to fill in the survey, and also report these hazards to Main Roads.

worzel

Postby worzel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 am

rolandp wrote:Have you completed the Auditor Generals Survey, closes on Monday?
Pretty sure I have done it before from work, but I have done it again.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:29 pm

I ride the coast on my rare commutes. It's good if you dont mind mixing it with traffic and relentless headwinds.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

yellagonga

Postby yellagonga » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:19 am

Run a paris rubaix set up. 27-30mm tyre, 60-80 psi. See whatvthe pro teams use for cobble stones here http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/ ... 013_281135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 am

captain peacock wrote:unless you are riding on silky smooth roads no one should be inflating to 110-120 unless you are a really big boy.

and its horses for courses, if i know i'm going to be riding on rough roads i'll drop it 10 from my usual.
Completely agree with this. When I lived up Joondalup way I commuted to the city on occasion on the roadie with 23mm tyres and pumped to 100-110. I didn't have any issues but did ride to the conditions i.e. slow where it was warranted. Oh sorry...I had one puncture caused by glass. I hate to be controversial, but is some of the damage caused by riding style?

Authors note: I may not be a good judge after coming off on a near straight piece of perfect south fwy PSP...but my bike wasn't damaged ;)

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:59 am

I am just short of 100kg combined weight and I used to ride 100-100psi but got punctures far too often. I try and ride to the conditions (eg 5km down on everyone else between Gribble Road and Karrinyup Road, taking kerbs slower) and I try and pick out the flatter lines but there is no riding round the lumps and bumps in most places. I have been riding 110 front / 120 rear for the last 6 months but that has obviously been solving one problem but creating another. The plan at the moment is to move to 25 tyres at 95/100 and see how I go but it is in for a service today so let's see what else they say has been damaged. Something fatter / less pressure may still be recommended.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:15 pm

worzel wrote: Something fatter / less pressure may still be recommended.
I'm only 3/4 the person you are :D but I have rediscovered that 32mm is a wonderful width (Choices in ETRO/ISO 630 are pretty limited). Currently running a slightly narrower front tyre (as I had one in the shed) but it's the rear that bears the load - especially with full panniers.

I was running 48mm tyres on the tandem(26" aka 559) which were super comfortable but hard to make any more meaningful comparisons.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:44 pm

Well it turns out I have a bit of a rust problem. The bike is only 14 months old, I rarely ride in the rain, the frame is carbon and I keep the bike in a garage but the cables and spokes have a bit of rust on them. That, more than the bumps, has done the worst of the damage it seems. I will make sure I wipe them down with an oily rag periodically in future.

The good news is that my weekly clean and lube of my chain paid dividends and it still had 25% life in it after 5500km. But I decided to swap that out now rather than take it back in 3 months / risk cassette damage.

So I will persevere with my 23 tyres, but with 10 psi less unless I get regular punctures / until they are worn out then probably switch to 25's (the shop did not have any stock anyway). I will also re-tighten all screws / bolts and put items in my bag rather than pockets so they cannot bounce out.