City of Perth Integrated Transport Study

wellington_street

City of Perth Integrated Transport Study

Postby wellington_street » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:43 pm

City of Perth are currently doing community engagement for their ITS. There is an interactive map where you can log all your issues:
http://engage.perth.wa.gov.au/transport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go nuts 8)

jaseyjase

Re: City of Perth Integrated Transport Study

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Thats pretty cool

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Great website

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Just a bump for anyone who has missed it - plus there are now dozens of issues on the map which you can comment on, or click 'support'.

I can't find anywhere that says when the consultation period expires

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu May 07, 2015 1:28 pm

wellington_street wrote:Just a bump for anyone who has missed it - plus there are now dozens of issues on the map which you can comment on, or click 'support'.

I can't find anywhere that says when the consultation period expires

Click on the FAQs button - it states: "1. How long the map open for? The map will be open for contributions until 22 May, 2015."

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 07, 2015 1:55 pm

thanks Sinner

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 19, 2015 11:27 pm

If you haven't had a chance to visit this site, do so. Even if it is to just review the items raised which include by the most number of supporters:
No 1 - Mounts Bay Shared Path - obsticals on shared path
(I really must learn to press the spell checker before submitting these types of items)

No 2 - The Esplanade

In fact, of the top 20 items (based on the most number of supporters) - 18 are bike issues.

Whilst there, press the 'Support' button if you agree with the item raised.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 am

Ah, I get it! You want the tree chopping down so you don't have to go slow in the shared area......

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 20, 2015 10:22 am

Sinner wrote:Ah, I get it! You want the tree chopping down so you don't have to go slow in the shared area......
The tree by itself is manageable (altho obviously below standard), its the numerous unnecessary signal poles and signs which block the path which are the main safety issue. How do 2 bikes or 1 bike/1 ped pass each other through there?

Minimum width for a 'local access' shared path is 2.5m - a busy path like this should be 3m+ - but there is only maybe 1.2-1.5m of actual clear path. It's an awful piece of infrastructure.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 am

The irony is of course that CoP prohibit cyclists from using many footpaths around the CBD that are twice and wide with no obsticals (:)) because of the risk of conflicts between pedestrians and cyclists yet this is the quality of 'shared path' that gets built.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 20, 2015 9:31 pm

I notice your posts on the map are getting crankier roland :)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 20, 2015 11:21 pm

wellington_street wrote:I notice your posts on the map are getting crankier roland :)
That's because they date back several years, and still unresolved.

I'll try to make them happier for the remaining ones I want to post.

And no Sinner, I don't want the tree to be chopped down. But interesting that a shared path sign is required in the middle of the lane, when it is only required at the beginning of the shared path, where there is plenty of space to install it near the Esplanade train station.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 pm

rolandp wrote:
wellington_street wrote:I notice your posts on the map are getting crankier roland :)
That's because they date back several years, and still unresolved.

I'll try to make them happier for the remaining ones I want to post.

And no Sinner, I don't want the tree to be chopped down. But interesting that a shared path sign is required in the middle of the lane, when it is only required at the beginning of the shared path, where there is plenty of space to install it near the Esplanade train station.
Ah, that's where you probably need to talk to Main roads about their signage policies!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Sinner wrote:Ah, that's where you probably need to talk to Main roads about their signage policies!
More likely the competence of the "QA" person who inspected and accepted the sign
OR
the contract manager who paid the bill without a QA inspection
OR
gawd forbid, the "designer" who actually put the silly thing there on the drawing. And the person who approved the drawing for construction.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 21, 2015 9:44 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sinner wrote:Ah, that's where you probably need to talk to Main roads about their signage policies!
More likely the competence of the "QA" person who inspected and accepted the sign
OR
the contract manager who paid the bill without a QA inspection
OR
gawd forbid, the "designer" who actually put the silly thing there on the drawing. And the person who approved the drawing for construction.
And then MRA who signed off the suitability of the Mounts Bay Rd shared path as part of the diversion for the closure of Riverside Drive RSP and who have failed to provide a suitable alternative when advised in writing of these types of issues on day 1 of the diversion.

Back on topic, last chance to put in any suggestions, as the site closes sometime tomorrow (22-May)

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 27, 2015 3:25 pm

So the map has apparently closed for inputs now, interesting to see what the top items are. Top 10 items are as follows (with the number of likes/supports for each):

1. (46) - Bike Issue - Roe Street car park exit across the PSP between Barrack and William
2. (44) - Bike Issue - Mounts Bay Rd shared path obstacles near Mount St
3. (44) - Bike Issue - Museum Street, please keep it two-way for bikes
4. (43) - Bike Issue - Mounts Bay Rd shared path poor road crossings (similar to #2)
5. (43) - Bike Issue - Claisebrook Trafalgar Bridge - reopen to bicycles
6. (42) - Bike Issue - Mounts Bay Rd shared path - one lane vanishes
7. (39) - Bike Issue - The Esplanade shared path is too narrow etc.
8. (37) - Bike Issue - Causeway bike path is too narrow etc. (there are a couple of other entries for this same topic)
9. (36) - Bike Issue - Entrance to PSP from Mount St
10. (35) - Bike Issue - Wellington St/George St traffic light programming

Will be interesting to see what happens for the Draft Strategy, whether the emphasis given to cycling issues matches the obvious community concern / support.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu May 28, 2015 10:30 am

wellington_street wrote:So the map has apparently closed for inputs now, interesting to see what the top items are. Top 10 items are as follows (with the number of likes/supports for each):

1. (46) - Bike Issue - Roe Street car park exit across the PSP between Barrack and William
2. (44) - Bike Issue - Mounts Bay Rd shared path obstacles near Mount St
3. (44) - Bike Issue - Museum Street, please keep it two-way for bikes
4. (43) - Bike Issue - Mounts Bay Rd shared path poor road crossings (similar to #2)
5. (43) - Bike Issue - Claisebrook Trafalgar Bridge - reopen to bicycles
6. (42) - Bike Issue - Mounts Bay Rd shared path - one lane vanishes
7. (39) - Bike Issue - The Esplanade shared path is too narrow etc.
8. (37) - Bike Issue - Causeway bike path is too narrow etc. (there are a couple of other entries for this same topic)
9. (36) - Bike Issue - Entrance to PSP from Mount St
10. (35) - Bike Issue - Wellington St/George St traffic light programming

Will be interesting to see what happens for the Draft Strategy, whether the emphasis given to cycling issues matches the obvious community concern / support.

Don't expect the strategy to recommend a fix for each of these. It is, after all, a strategy, not a detailed list of work for the City (or other body) to deal with. The City would probably want to use it to indicate in the strategy the importance of cycling; the need to make better provision; and the need to co-ordinate other bodies whose infrastructure impacts on cycling.

In terms of the list, 5 is in the Bike Plan; 7 is temporary and probably will be removed by July allowing the new path to be used; 8, 9, and 10 are Main Roads with 9 reliant on the developer.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 28, 2015 11:14 am

I would hope something useful is actually done with this feedback. Seems a complete waste to collect all this useful info about specific issues and not actually use it.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:19 pm

I noticed that the City of Perth passed it's budget for 2015/16 last night. This included:

Harvest Terrace Cycle Infrastructure $100,000
Bike Plan Implementation $600,000
Roe Street Shared Path from Fitzgerald Street to Thomas Street $2,500,000 (This is really DoT funding, but has to go through the City's books)
2-Way Barrack Street from St Georges Terrace to Wellington Street $4,965,000 (This includes on road cycle lanes)
2-Way Murray Street from Elder Street to Thomas Street $1,700,000 (This includes on road cycle lanes)

So potentially a lot could be happening for cycling infrastructure in the next year, with $3.2m of dedicated infrastructure and contributions from other projects.

I hope it can all get built!

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:30 pm

I meant to put something about Harvest Terrace on there but didn't get around to it. Hopefully whatever they are building is good. Either that or they really change the rules so we can legally use the huge wide new footpath that is already there.

Edit - the cycle plan implementation program says it is on-road cycle lanes on Harvest Tce, nice but probably doesn't address the connection down Hay St against traffic to the freeway path.

Thoglette

Who is responsible ?

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Who is responsible for enforcing the bus lanes in the CBD?
I had to catch a bus on the terrace this evening and it's a joke.

A pair of cameras and some number plate matching software and the money would roll in....

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Or some of those auto-bollards (see video).
Come to think of it would be pretty unpleasant on a bike if you didn't know to go between them.

[shareyoutube]https://youtu.be/0BRCOV7MczU?t=30s[/shareyoutube]

https://youtu.be/0BRCOV7MczU?t=30s

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:12 pm

mikedufty wrote:Or some of those auto-bollards (see video).
Love it. Hours of you-tube fun :P

I was wondering how you make a road a "through" road for buses (and perhaps taxis) but not for cars.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:31 am

Copy of a quick message I sent to a councillor on the day of the meeting:
Councillor, some examples at tonight's Council meeting: $193K carry-over for the 2-way mounts bay road project - so there was available funds which the City did not spend and there are so may issues with the shared path at this location. $100K carry-over Harvest Tce cycle ways - this was scheduled for 2014/15. $100K carry-over Bike Plan Implementation - spare funds again not being spent in 2014/15. And the big one $1.2M carry-over for Barrack St two way - one has to question how this then relates to Perth Parking Management fund then contributing $2.4M for the cycle lanes when original estimates were $30K. Good to see Roe St getting $2.5M next year - but really, does it cost $2.5M and it was not in the CoP Implementation Bike Plan so hope all other items have been covered in the Bike Plan. Good luck with this evening's meeting.

There was $393k unspent available funds for 2014/15 which should have been used to improve cycling infrastructure. This included $193k available for the Mount St two-way project, which provided a very poor shared path. At least these funds are being carried over to 2015/16 and I would hope that it will hope that Mount St shared path issues are addressed.

I am astonished that Barrack St cycle lanes are costing $2.4m, when CoP originally budgeted $30k.

Roe St is then costing $2.5m. I hope this includes an overpass at Sutherland St, but given that CoP traffic light works have already occurred here in 2013 I will be surprised if we get the overpass. There is no original estimates for this work as it is not in the CoP Bike Implementation Plan.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:42 am

Roland,

The $2.4m for Barrack Street cycle lanes is for the section being built as part of Elizabeth Quay from Riverside Drive to The Esplanade. The CoP two way scheme isn't spending $2.4m on their cycle lanes.