Leederville to Belmont

NewStew

Leederville to Belmont

Postby NewStew » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi All - Just started a new job in Belmont and trying to work out the best way to commute from Leederville. The part from Leederville to Great Eastern Highway is pretty easy as I have ridden that many times but it is from the Graham Farmer Freeway/Great Easter Highway interchange to the office (which is near Abernathy Rd on Great Eastern Highway) that I am looking for advice. Since the rebuild of the main road there is a pretty good cycle lane along there which is an OK option but I am wondering if there is a bike path (giving for a more relaxed but possibly slower) ride that avoids the highway and goes along the river (there is on the maps but interested in the quality and suitability for riding). Thanks for any thoughts.

scotchegg

Re: Leederville to Belmont

Postby scotchegg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:42 pm

I work on the corner of Abernethy and Great Eastern and used to cycle in from Osborne PArk.

The path that runs along Great Eastern is by the far the best option, its rarely used by cyclists and feels very safe as its pretty wide.
If you're unlucky you might get stuck in a leap flogging session with a bus but apart from that its great.

There is a narrow windy path that runs along the river but its primarily for pedestrians and would be pretty frustrating to cycle on.

After you reach Abernathy and great eastern , its probably best to cycle on Abernathy road until you get to your work. Its not ideal but it is pretty wide for long sections. They are adding on road cycle paths to Abernethy although its a lot further down around the Belmont forum end and even then its only 200m or so. Hopefully the master plan is to create a continuous on road path going down Abernethy form great eastern until leach. I can dream...

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks scotchegg - I suspected as much but it is good to have it confirmed... My work is also right near the corner so Abernathy isn't a problem. May see you on the road sometime

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 pm

I'll be the guy wearing cycling gear that's plastered with 'Siemens' all over it.
My work likes giving away promotional clothing :p

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:59 am

The bike path along the river is actually pretty nice and not many peds from my experience except on weekends. It can get quite leafy and slippery in wet weather but I've not had a problem riding to the conditions. I've ridden it regularly on a CX and a road bike with no issues. There are a few sharp hilly bits that surprise some folk :)

If you come along the path in front of Belmont Park, you take a turn near the toilets at the Balbuk Way ski area and head on the path through the trees. If you head straight without turning you will get to GEH. If you take the path, you should probably join the road at the boat ramp just east of belmont ave I think.

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Rode GEH this morning and it was OK but boring... May give the path a go when I am not in a hurry and the weather is nice. Cheers.