CBD Bike Blitz

nachoman

CBD Bike Blitz

Postby nachoman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:53 pm

"Police have launched a crackdown on cyclists in Perth's CBD with alarming results. Nine News was invited on the bike blitz and our cameras captured riders ignoring basic road rules. And we're told the bad behaviour is almost constant in the city."

Looks like not wearing a helmet, riding on the footpath, and pedestrian crossings were targeted.

rusty842

Re: CBD Bike Blitz

Postby rusty842 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Just what we need.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Fair enough with pinging those cycling on busy footpaths. Way too busy, people coming out of shops without warning. I have noticed this happening lately when it almost never occurred. Something is different these days, likely to be the increase in cyclist numbers, maybe they're new to cycle commuting, probably not confident using the roads, and not enough infrastructure for cyclists.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:36 pm

Did I hear this figure correctly '19 cyclists were caught in the 4 hour blitz'? This was on St Georges Tce.

I see that number at some intersections on one light change. For example William St crossing at The Arena where lots of cyclists use the pedestrian green light and take off. Clearly they need to be charged.

Or lets do some research, or listen to feedback from cyclists, and stick in a cyclist lantern on William St.

Will today's event radically change cyclists behaviour?

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:04 pm

rolandp wrote:Did I hear this figure correctly '19 cyclists were caught in the 4 hour blitz'? This was on St Georges Tce.

I see that number at some intersections on one light change. For example William St crossing at The Arena where lots of cyclists use the pedestrian green light and take off. Clearly they need to be charged.

Or lets do some research, or listen to feedback from cyclists, and stick in a cyclist lantern on William St.

Will today's event radically change cyclists behaviour?
I think it was 40 booked total with 19 being no helmet.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:30 pm

All I gotta say is Liza Harvey should try riding a bike around Elizabeth Quay.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:42 am

rolandp wrote: This was on St Georges Tce.
Where almost every day I see some ****wit barrel through the red lights at William St. Or hurtling along the footpaths. Used to just be couriers.

A "crack down" has been on the books for some time and at least they've been targetting the epicentre of idiot behaviour.

While I absolutely agree that many of the Ped Xing lights (eg. Wellington/Milligan) could do with some bike lights the question remains:

Is 5 seconds really too long to wait?

We want MVs to wait 5 seconds to pass safely but we can't be bothered waiting 5 seconds for the leetttle green man to turn into a green light?

"disingenuous" is the word I was looking for.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Thoglette wrote:

We want MVs to wait 5 seconds to pass safely but we can't be bothered waiting 5 seconds for the leetttle green man to turn into a green light?
I dont think thats a fair comparison, MVs waiting 5 seconds is so they can safely pass without putting cyclist in danger

A rider jumping a set of lights to go with the pedestrian green endangers no one, no one is worse off or put in any sort of risk

Obviously putting my hand up as being one of those that jumps the red at that milligan/wellington intersection

I will say i dont do it all the time though, and admit theres no real reason to jump or real benefit in clearing the intersection early

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:58 pm

there's a shared path that runs west from the city that at peak hour is nothing less than a life threatening experience. A ped or cyclist is going to be seriously injured. Guess where the next blitz will be :(
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

roller

Postby roller » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:53 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Obviously putting my hand up as being one of those that jumps the red at that milligan/wellington intersection
the only reason I don't jump the milligan/st George's intersection at the green man is i'm dead scared of getting pinged by a cop on a bike blitz.

this often puts me in "conflict" with cars who i'm in front of (some of them don't like being "held up" by me as I make my way down milligan), but I'm safe from the gash in my wallet a ticket would give me.

but I do see lots of people do it safely every morning, some could definitely be more considerate in how they do it, but I've yet to see a cyclist crash into a pedestrian here.
inflammatory statement or idea

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:13 pm

jaseyjase wrote:I dont think thats a fair comparison
I didn't say anything about fair; safe or proportional.

I'm talking about public displays of pretending the law doesn't apply.

Hell, a reasonable, measured and "fair" approach would have the regulations state that cyclists need to stop at a red light, and give way at a stop sign.

But when we have a regular percentage of numpties who don't even slow down for red lights (and I'm talking about rush hour in the CBD) and a large cohort who can't wait for the green light (even though there's no hope in hell of avoiding the next red light just 20m away) we're going to continue to be labelled as lunatic scoff-laws. And treated a such.

A view that is reinforced by both the post-work Milligan-to-PSP-chicane sprint (as the younger folk'd say "Like, WT... already?") and the behaviour noted by Flashpixx below
flashpixx wrote:Guess where the next blitz will be :(
No where near the CityWest PSP - there are no cars involved (ergo. no Premier or ministers) and no easy tickets to hand out. Can't see a blitz happening there. At least not until a pedestrian is seriously injured.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Thoglette wrote:I'm talking about public displays of pretending the law doesn't apply...
Thoglette wrote:... we're going to continue to be labelled as lunatic scoff-laws. And treated a such.
fair call

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:31 pm

This is a good and hope they keep blitzing. If we want respect and safe distance etc on our roads then we need to show respect to other road users by following the 'ROAD RULES' ......it an't that hard

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:54 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
Thoglette wrote:

Obviously putting my hand up as being one of those that jumps the red at that milligan/wellington intersection

I will say i dont do it all the time though, and admit theres no real reason to jump or real benefit in clearing the intersection early
It's about a) following the law, and b) public perception.

You want to ride on the road, follow the rules. Don't pick and choose which you want - stop at a red light and go again when the red light (for cars) goes green. Don't give those idiots in cars more ammo when they see a cyclist running a red light.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:55 pm

When it's my bones and skin on the line, I'll choose the safest option thanks, even if it's breaking the law.

I agree re: red lights, but footpath cycling I'll continue to do as needed - with due deference to other users thereon - especially if the traffic mood is making me nervous. I've already been hit three times by cars, two of those required ambulance attendance and one an extended stay in hospital.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:13 pm

Echoing trailgumby's sentiments really has got to stop... but here I find myself doing it again ;)

I'll add that I only ride shared paths, else I'd rather be on a motorcycle (don't have anymore) or in a car (conceded getting one again).

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 pm

eldavo wrote:Echoing trailgumby's sentiments really has got to stop... but here I find myself doing it again ;)
Yeah. That's a bad habit you've got there. I hear hypnotism helps. ;) :lol:

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:07 pm

trailgumby wrote: I'll choose the safest option thanks, even if it's breaking the law.
sums it up for me

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:13 pm

I feel save riding Perth roads. Have taught my 12yr old 'save' road riding and he now rides the 8km to school on the road. Having 4 kids on bikes we have had numerous close calls on footpaths from cars backing out of driveways etc, and the quicker i can get them on the road with good lines of site the better IMO. Don't know the stats, but I'm sure there are many injurys from car v bikes on footpaths. PSPs are great and safe to a point but limited in A-B

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:49 pm

eldavo, I hear what your saying, and it doesn't sound like your one of the kerb hopping road/footpath/road......run red lights etc etc CBD bike riders that the blitz is targeting.

Sorry that doesn't make much sense as you removed your post

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:52 pm

Now I feel like a challenged young buck with something to prove next time I'm out there ;)

Sorry I thought I ranted and was derailing the thread so deleted it, but then got coaxed into responding to the ghost reply again, aargh! =D

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri May 01, 2015 10:31 am

Coming into the city at the Arena this morning there was a paddy wagon sitting at the junction waiting to turn south. And over half of the cyclists still rode through the stop line, set off on the green man for pedestrians and/or were not wearing helmets. :roll:

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Fri May 01, 2015 11:45 am

I live in the city and I'm under instructions from the wife to cycle on the pavement in the city as the roads are far too dangerous and she doesn't want my children to be fatherless. Especially if you're going east/west; Hay and Murray malls are pedestrianised, Roe would involve leaping over the railway multiple times, The Esplanade is a joke and Wellington and St. George's Terrace are too unsafe.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri May 01, 2015 12:35 pm

I'm all for obeying the road rules and being courteous to other road users (especially pedestrians), but I find it a bit grating when the stated reason is to "set a good example and give cycling legitimacy" (as I understand some of the arguments above).

I've yet to hear a car driver say that because some other driver was seen behaving dangerously, it brings themselves and all car drivers into disrepute.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

roller

Postby roller » Fri May 01, 2015 12:56 pm

grimbo wrote:I'm all for obeying the road rules and being courteous to other road users (especially pedestrians), but I find it a bit grating when the stated reason is to "set a good example and give cycling legitimacy" (as I understand some of the arguments above).

I've yet to hear a car driver say that because some other driver was seen behaving dangerously, it brings themselves and all car drivers into disrepute.
if everyone obeyed all road rules all the time we'd still all have to get rego before we're given legitimacy from those claiming we don't have it already.
inflammatory statement or idea