CBD Bike Blitz

Sinner

Re: CBD Bike Blitz

Postby Sinner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:44 pm

rolandp wrote:So wonder if I would have been hauled away if I had actually been riding in the bus lane.

One can dream.......

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Earlier this week, police undertook a motoring blitz, with 64 infringements issued in 2.5 hours in the Perth CBD.
Police book dozens of drivers in city blitz

The bike blitz which occurred last year following '1000 complaints against cyclists in the CBD were made in the past four months', 19 cyclists during the special police operation on St Georges Terrace in a 4.5 hour period. Some of those infringements do not apply today, in particular riding on a footpath.

Interesting Minister of Police was quoted back in 2015 'They need to obey the road rules just as motorists do.' in relation to the cyclists. But failed to quote for the motoring blitz this week.

Glad the police are undertaking these blitz, shame a cyclist was killed last year following a distracted motorist using their phone, and the blitz have only been reported now.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:10 pm

IMO, the blitz needs to be extended beyond the CBD.

I guess the slow moving traffic in the CBD makes it easier and spot and apprehend people, but the dangers of distracted driving is greater where the speed is higher.

Speaking of using the phone while driving, it's a pretty common sight in Kings Park at the moment with Pokemon.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:13 pm

A few more years and thousands of kms more of commuting and ive somewhat revised my riding, i no longer jump/run red lights like i used to

I have to admit, i do feel like the majority of road users appreciate it when they see you waiting in line like other motorists, instead of jumping to the front to only have to be passed again.

Still get the occasional shave, (two from transperth buses that were reported) but i feel thats the odds you play with, for every 100 cars that pass you, 1 will be a little closer than youd like.

admittedly the one place i will jump the red is the william/wellington intersection heading north, i usually go with the green ped light to give me a few seconds head start heading into the horse shoe, i find it handy to have to get some speed up the ramp.

i dont even run/jump the dog swamp/flinders st to charles anymore as the light sequence seems to have changed and theres no real benefit, plus the waiting in line road users are less inclined to 'revenge' shave you.

Lane splitting is kept to a minimum, usually only on charles st between scarb bch rd and newcastle where its pretty jam packed during peak hour

All in all, id have to say its been positive.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Yep, the more confident I've become in traffic the more comfortable I've been with being a part of it rather than trying to fight it by running lights to avoid being amongst the cars. Hopefully it's not just a false perception, but I feel that claiming the lane and waiting at lights is causing drivers around me to behave a little more respectfully.

It definitely gives me the sh*ts briefly when I'm patiently doing the right thing and someone sails through on the red, as it may reflect badly on me. But then it might reflect well on me if I'm the guy doing the right thing!

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 pm

+1.

Will happily wait at lights (unless it's super early in the morning and there is nothing to trigger the lights).

Will also wait with traffic rather than work my way up to the front, especially if half those cars have patiently waited at some stage to pass me earlier on.