Bike Mechanic - Rockingham/Kwinana area

paulthekelly

Bike Mechanic - Rockingham/Kwinana area

Postby paulthekelly » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 pm

G'day,
I have just picked up a GT Avalanche Expert, with Juicy 3 calipers on G2 discs.

Problem is the disc drags badly. I have swapped out the pads and replaced the disc on the advice of a local shop, but the disc still drags no matter what I do. I have tried to realign the caliper, but everytime I change a flat and remove the rim, back comes the alignement issue. It always seems to be the left side. Its come to the point where I'm throwing my hands up in the air and screaming "F*ck it".

Can anyone recomend a local mechanic who can both fix the problem & and show me how to fix it if it re-occurs.

I'm going to replace the entire brake system to a shimano set soon, but need to learn how to live with what I've got for now.

Cheers

PK

su-pista

Re: Bike Mechanic - Rockingham/Kwinana area

Postby su-pista » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Sounds like the brake needs bleeding and the pistons need lubricating. Not the easiest process but refer to YouTube or the avid manual how to do it. You will need to buy a bleed kit.

paulthekelly

Re: Bike Mechanic - Rockingham/Kwinana area

Postby paulthekelly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:26 pm

Cheers Su-Pista, still leaves me with the corundum, sink more money into a set of brakes I'm not really that happy with (I want something that has more adjustment range & options) or just spring for a new disc brake set.
I took the bike to Avanti in Rockingham on Friday and they assured me that a new disc would fix all of my woes, despite my protestations that I believed it needed bleeding (& you are confirming that I am probably right). Caught between a rock & a hard place I parted with $65 and left the shop, knowing that the same disc is about $30 online....

Right now I'd be happy to talk with a mechanic who can tell me whats happening.