"slow" group rides Perth

paul85

"slow" group rides Perth

Postby paul85 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:53 pm

I have been looking for a group to join on the weekend for a Saturday or Sunday morning ride. I am by road standard pretty slow averaging around 20-22km/h having said that I can ride for a good 3 hrs no problems preferably with a coffee break. Can anyone suggest a group, obviously I am looking to improve this but I have been off the bike for a few years.

farnorth

Re: "slow" group rides Perth

Postby farnorth » Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 pm

If you qualify, the over 55 cycling club have some fairly slow groups. They go out on Saturday mornings

paul85

Postby paul85 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:31 pm

haha I reckon some of those riders would leave me in their dust and I'm over two decades short of the entry age!

So a few views here, anyone interested in meet up one saturday/sunday morning for a ride, maybe a small group (<10) slower/"novice" riders

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Where are you located, south of river, north of river etc
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

paul85

Postby paul85 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:59 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Where are you located, south of river, north of river etc
Pretty much central from where I am but on the north side of the CBD

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun May 03, 2015 2:56 pm

If you enjoy the time on the bike rather than speed there's Audax, but as far a social club you might find it a little lacking locally at least.

The few faster Audax riders that tend to do their own thing, but the medium range people often clump together or wait for each other at various points on the way on any given organised calendar ride. But like I said, it's more about endurance and acheivement rather than racing or speed and there can often be a solitary component; which I think has put off a few new comers depending on their distance & navigation experience & confidence.

Speaking for the Perth region, I know there's a few members that would average your sort of moving speed in the rides upto ~150-200km in distance.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Sun May 03, 2015 5:02 pm

South Perth Rouleurs have rides to suit every pace / level of experience. Check out their website

riverride

Postby riverride » Sun May 03, 2015 9:13 pm

I second South Perth Rouleurs. Although ostensibly the beginners' group is about 25km, it's focussed on skills and there are regroups along the route. For something different you might also want to check out Cycling for Fun on Meetup - really lovely people and there are lots of rides and routes. It's very social. I can also ride some weekends - I'm near Mount Lawley if that suits.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue May 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Cyclemania in north perth have good intro rides. 7am on saturdays. Look them up on FB. Friendly bunch.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Thu May 07, 2015 10:12 am

Cyclemania are a friendly bunch but they dont really do a "slow" ride for beginers. I would suggest hooking up with just an informal group if possible (organise with some mates) as then it all becomes about everyone having a good time (and generally the groups are much smaller which is less stressful at the begining). Me and a couple of mates ride from the Leederville area most weekends (usually Sunday morning but occassionally Saturday) and generally do about 50 - 65 km averaging about 27 (moving avergae) so if you arent a w%&ker and happy to push it a bit harder speed wise until the legs get there then drop me a PM. We are a bunch of 40's school Dads.

paul85

Postby paul85 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:33 pm

well seems likes there are a few options here and a nice community, just need to shake off this chest infection and Ill be on the road with some of you soon hopefully :D

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue May 12, 2015 9:29 pm

Over 55s maintains an up to date schedule of their rides at http://o55perth.bike/

While I note in that page that the next Deep Water Point is not for a couple of weeks, in my experience they do ride most Saturdays from there.

Personally I don't reckon 20kph is a "slow" ride. Perhaps that's why I don't get to ride with anyone else. :(
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle