New PSP - Guildord Station to East Street

scotchegg

New PSP - Guildord Station to East Street

Postby scotchegg » Thu May 14, 2015 7:50 pm

It appears that we're slowly getting the Midland rail line PSP completed.
Last year was Bassendean to Success Hill, this time Guilford Station to East Street.

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Buildin ... ssing.aspx

As someone who lives very close to this and directly on the PSP, I couldn't be happier!

rusty842

Re: New PSP - Guildord Station to East Street

Postby rusty842 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:21 pm

$3000 a metre. Sounds great. As someone who lives very close here but doesn't ride this section.

It's a great movement forward.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu May 14, 2015 11:36 pm

Finished by the end of the year... With the existing paths, it's almost clear from Perth to Midland.... :) Maybe by 2018 given our budget woes.

Or then again, maybe they've multiplied cyclists by registration fees ( that they haven't announced yet ) and figure to plug the deficit hole with that :wink:

I can only dream that they should follow the railway all the way through to Bullsbrook :) That would be nice

David.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:05 am

cj7hawk wrote:Finished by the end of the year... With the existing paths, it's almost clear from Perth to Midland.... :) Maybe by 2018 given our budget woes.

Or then again, maybe they've multiplied cyclists by registration fees ( that they haven't announced yet ) and figure to plug the deficit hole with that :wink:

I can only dream that they should follow the railway all the way through to Bullsbrook :) That would be nice

David.
There's rail out in Bullsbrook. Not even simba is allowed out there [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 15, 2015 12:47 am

rusty842 wrote:There's rail out in Bullsbrook[?]. Not even simba is allowed out there [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]
Been out there for 20 yrs. Just like the rail to Rockingham which has been there for decades.

It's just we're "not allowed" to run passenger services on those freight lines. Even if we once did.

Read the list of closed Perth Railway Stations and weep. Especially humorous is the closing of the freo-spearwood line in the light of the arguments about Coogee
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri May 15, 2015 11:23 am

rusty842 wrote:There's rail out in Bullsbrook. Not even simba is allowed out there [emoji39]
You're missing out on beautiful riding up through the Chittering Valley from there.... Oh... Shish. Did I just let a out secret?

Oh, and where these new Emoji things coming from? Are they a Crapatalk thing?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 pm

More good news!

Due to the Guildford station car park being upgraded, there will be additional PSP installed as well to link up with the new PSP in my original post.

http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Projects/Guild ... fault.aspx

All we need now is a PSP bridge over the swan and you have continuous cycle path all the way from the CBD to Woodbridge station.

Having just cycled around that area earlier tonight, its drastically needed.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Hmmm, hope it's not too busy with cyclists in the peaks or we will have another City West scenario - the PSP will be used for access from the car park to the platform (which is only accessible at the western end). Obviously the flat terrain would have made any sort of grade separation very expensive and disruptive but I wonder if a parallel footpath could have been provided with some sort of barrier (e.g. low planted landscaping) next to the PSP to separate user groups?

The link through Guildford will be very handy once completed.

jcdewit

Postby jcdewit » Thu May 21, 2015 4:07 pm

scotchegg wrote:More good news!

Due to the Guildford station car park being upgraded, there will be additional PSP installed as well to link up with the new PSP in my original post.

All we need now is a PSP bridge over the swan and you have continuous cycle path all the way from the CBD to Woodbridge station.

Having just cycled around that area earlier tonight, its drastically needed.

Pity that they did not take the opportunity to add a PSP next to the rail during the present upgrade of the swan crossing. Just extend the sleepers with a couple of metres, put a flooring on it and we are good to go (and a railing might come in handy :) )

BTW, you mention that we will have a continuous cycle path all the way from the CBD to Woodbridge station. But the stretch from East Street to Midland is still not a proper PSP: too narrow and extremely uncomfortable.
Any idea what they are planning for this section?

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Thu May 21, 2015 10:10 pm

jcdewit wrote:
BTW, you mention that we will have a continuous cycle path all the way from the CBD to Woodbridge station. But the stretch from East Street to Midland is still not a proper PSP: too narrow and extremely uncomfortable.
Any idea what they are planning for this section?
Unfortunately not, all I know is that according to the long term plan, it prioritised that there would be PSP along all the major rail lines by 2020 I( think).

I just assumed that Main Roads have taken the lazy route and considered the path around Woodbridge station to be sufficient. All it really needs is completely dug up to get rid of the horrible concrete slabs and relaid to the proper 3m standard with street lighting. The route itself is fine ,although a couple of minor deviations around trees wouldn't go a miss.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 25, 2015 1:06 am

I went riding this way today to see what it's like, and was deeply disappointed it wasn't already there. The paths were difficult to find without a map and I ended up having to go both ways to find them all and get them into my head.

I can live with the poor path around Woodbridge - after dodging cars through the narrowing road at the Lasalle turnoff on Gt Northern, I'd settle for a gravel dirt track through midland to East Street. :(

Tried the path through Bassendean for the first time though - :) very nice... If I could cruise that all the way home, I'd definitely make a daily commute all the way -

David.

jcdewit

Postby jcdewit » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:29 am

They are now working on the shared path from the end of the new car park to the GEH at Woodbridge rail crossing.
It looks like a nice section to ride. especially as you can avoid the roundabout at Swan st - Meadow st. Twice an idiot driver tried to take me out there as he did not wanted to wait any longer and just accelerated.

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 pm

I seen this over the weekend, the route is looking good.

I also noticed that there were signs up around Success Station about a path being built to Guildford Road. I can't seem to find anything online about it though.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:20 pm

scotchegg wrote:
I also noticed that there were signs up around Success Station about a path being built to Guildford Road. I can't seem to find anything online about it though.

The work at Success Hill Station is for the bit down at the river, to eliminate the blind corner and the hairpin bend. Wast of money, as most cyclists will cross over the railway tracks using the PEDESTRIAN overpass at the station, then proceed down Earlsferry Court. MainRoadsWA and DoT should look at what is actually happening in this location, and spend the money to upgrade the pedestian overpass to cater for cyclists AND pedestrians.....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Its a shame......all that temporary scaffolding used on the train bridge to replace the sleepers recently could of been designed permanent with a bike path incorporated. Would cost a few dollars, but be some real comensence design

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 pm

CycleSnail wrote: most cyclists will cross over the railway tracks using the PEDESTRIAN overpass at the station, then proceed down Earlsferry Court.
Google maps actually directed me over the pedestrian overpass.

jcdewit

Postby jcdewit » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:36 pm

The pedestrian overpass at Success Hill station is not only for pedestrians. They took away the signs for cyclists to dismount a couple of months ago. So it's a shared path now.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Ah. That's good to know.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:19 am

Media release this morning re: the above
https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... aded-.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$2.5 million :shock:

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:35 am

Wow, I hope that the amount cited ($2.5mio) for this ill advised route is a typing mistake..... .

It is ten times more than the estimates I heard a year ago. The amount of $2.5mio would buy 250 km of on-road bicycle lanes with physical separation from cars (i.e. "Copenhagen lanes", $10000 per km). Or it would fund cycling advocacy via the BTA for 120 years... (not a typo, advocacy was cheap)

On the subject of the pedestrian overpass being used by bicycles - this has caused a bit of angst and has been brought to the attention of the Town of Bassendean by nearby residents. If it is going to be a shared facility on what is potentially a busy route it should be made wider.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

roller

Postby roller » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:35 pm

They can make all the embellishments they like to the paths around Guildford but I still feel the biggest issue is that of crossing the bridge, run the gauntlet with traffic bearing down or find your way onto the rickety wooden path.

Perhaps a bridge that takes riders to Victoria Street would be a better option, how much would that cost?

If a few hundred metres of path is 2.5, I guess that would be 10million?
inflammatory statement or idea

redned

Postby redned » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:38 pm

330m at $2.5M seems excessive even with lighting. $8,333 per metre.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:44 pm

roller wrote:They can make all the embellishments they like to the paths around Guildford but I still feel the biggest issue is that of crossing the bridge, run the gauntlet with traffic bearing down or find your way onto the rickety wooden path.

Perhaps a bridge that takes riders to Victoria Street would be a better option, how much would that cost?

The shared path across the bridge is now concrete, has been for a couple of years. It's narrow but functional.
If you're on the PSP then there's no reason to get on Guildford Road at all, especially once the section through Guildford is completed.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:09 pm

wellington_street wrote:
roller wrote:They can make all the embellishments they like to the paths around Guildford but I still feel the biggest issue is that of crossing the bridge, run the gauntlet with traffic bearing down or find your way onto the rickety wooden path.

The shared path across the bridge is now concrete, has been for a couple of years. It's narrow but functional.
If you're on the PSP then there's no reason to get on Guildford Road at all, especially once the section through Guildford is completed.
My mistake, I'm confusing with the other side of the bridge.

I normally go over the bridge - as fast as I possibly can.

but I might try out the PSP based on your recommendation.

In truth I haven't done a hills ride in ages so I haven't been out that way, I'm probably basing my rant on knowledge from a couple of years ago. :oops:
inflammatory statement or idea

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Why are we paying $2.5 Million for a path that already exists? Seriously? I ride that segment of path listed weekly and it's fine for riding. It's a little narrow and requires some common sense, but the pedestrians there are good about it and the path is both safe and useful. AND it already exists.

If they are paying $2.5 Million to "Upgrade" a path that requires no upgrading, you can be sure someone's doing something dirty... I expect they are using "eminent domain" to give a $2.5 Million kickback to the houses that will lose a little backyard so that a perfect wide-enough bike path can be made wide enough to land a 747 on.

Something stinks here.... This upgrade is NOT in the interest of cyclists. A better upgrade to the path would be between Guildford and Midland along Gt Eastern... This is a VERY dangerous section of road, with limited cycling infrastructure.

David

p.s.

Ahh, something does seem to smell about this change - Check this out:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-31.900 ... 442,18.42z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See the well define existing path? In VERY good condition? Now click on the "satellite" view and see the development in the area the path will need to go into, because it can't get any closer to the train line. Something very strange going on there.