New PSP - Guildord Station to East Street

CycleSnail

Re: New PSP - Guildord Station to East Street

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:21 pm

rolandp wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:.... I was told that MRWA does not support second rate infrastructure solutions.....)
Did you get this in writing as I can name several lengths of all PSP's that are not first rate?

No chance, Roland :(
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 am

The new PSP at the river is getting there....

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:30 pm

So this (the PSP through Guildford to East St) is listed as 'finished' on the Main Roads website but how do you actually get onto it from the Guildford Road bridge??
Seems like the only way you can get there legally on a bike is to ride onto Guildford Rd (James St), left onto Meadow St then turn right onto the path? Good luck for the opposite direction?
cj7hawk - what route have you been using?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:09 pm

It wasn't completed this morning when I drove by it, as the fence was still up IIRC, but I have seen them sweeping it and cleaning up over the past week - It's still the same as the old path, just the shape is a little different and the grade has been fixed a lot, but otherwise it's the same as the old path -

Regards
David

p.s. Oh, hang on, are we talking about the new path? I haven't ridden the full length of it yet, and I'd be surprised if it's finished - several hundred meters were missing just over a week ago, with no sign of any works having even commenced at the western end -

Picture at the crossing immediately East of the station, facing North.

I certainly hope they haven't given up on this.

Anyway, from there to east street is good. I chided Main Roads a couple of weeks back that they hadn't removed the signs even though the path was being used, and they were a danger. I saw bouncing puppies last time I rode along there... Quite interesting. Lots of locals use it already. I do like the section of path that is in so far - a big improvement and much much safer than the old road route.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks David - so you use the footpath past the station, then the pedestrian crossing of the rail line opposite Johnson Street? Have the "cyclists dismount" signs been removed at this crossing?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:21 pm

wellington_street wrote:Thanks David - so you use the footpath past the station, then the pedestrian crossing of the rail line opposite Johnson Street? Have the "cyclists dismount" signs been removed at this crossing?
They are still there AFAIK - Not that anyone seems to bother when they are ignored and I've never seen a pedestrian use that crossing yet, but with the path there, I think that will change.

The path past the station requires some caution though - it is narrow, I usually encounter pedestrians ( often have to go off-path ) and there's frequently people sitting on the wall along there - and for some reason, they feel the need to stretch out over as much path as they can cover -

That is an official shared path, also, not a footpath ( listed in the cycling map as "other shared path" )

Regards,
David.

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:24 pm

The route has been rideable for about 3 weeks now and been fully finished for 10 days or so.

It's a massive improvement from before and makes getting from Guildford station to East Guildford a lot safer and is just a nice route all round. Works should be starting fairly soon on the other side of East Street through to Woodbridge Station.

From a main roads perspective the works is complete as the 400 meters of path around Guildford Station is being delivered by PTA while they do the new car park, which incidentally is taking forever and actually started before the main roads section!

The other section of PSP mentioned around Guildford road bridge has tarmac now. Not sure when it's due to be open but other than a paint job it looks finished.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 am

They are starting on sealing the far side of the path, by the look of it - I wonder when they'll complete it -

David

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sat May 07, 2016 11:18 am

now open...images at theEveryday Cycling Facebook page (formerly the BTA FB page)

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 09, 2016 1:22 pm

CycleSnail wrote:now open...images at theEveryday Cycling Facebook page (formerly the BTA FB page)
Thank you - :) Just rode the new path this morning - It's a lot less steep, though the train bridge feels kind of low when standing on the pedals to climb out.

I don't suppose you know when the cycle bridge is going in there do you?

Thanks
David

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon May 09, 2016 7:21 pm

No, I do not know when the bicycle bridge goes in - and I think $6mio would be better spent elsewhere.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue May 10, 2016 12:21 pm

CycleSnail wrote:No, I do not know when the bicycle bridge goes in - and I think $6mio would be better spent elsewhere.
Would have been $2.5M if they provided the bridge instead of the path facelift. Anyway, the extra crossing of the railroad isn't ideal, but I agree that the money could be better spent installing infrastructure where there currently is none.

SimoneF

Postby SimoneF » Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 am

When it inevitably gets coated in sand, who will maintain it?
Me at City of Canning council meeting: "PSP is again coated in sand and limestone rock after recent rains and the fact it was built lower than the dirt line, my question to the council is who maintains this? Council, the PTA or Main Roads?"
Council: "We built it on the proviso Main Roads would maintain it"
Letter back from Main Roads:"It is the responsibility of the council to maintain the PSP". aaargh!!!!!

SimoneF

Postby SimoneF » Wed May 11, 2016 6:45 am

Hooray for the Miland line!
Now, can the Armadale Line finally be completed? There is no PSP along the train line from Graham Farmer Freeway until Welshpool Road, hopefully the construction of the Perth Stadium will light a fire up Town of Victoria Park's a** to finally complete it:

http://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-31.9941 ... 312!8i6656

The PSP ends halfway between Cannington and Beckenham train stations at Lacey St:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-32.020 ... 312!8i6656

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:45 am

Media announcement relating to the opening of the new section.

What's it like?

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 pm

It's nice.... I was there a couple of days ago and it was not quite finished, but I look forward to use it. A nice touch is the section through Guildford where they managed to preserve a lot of the trees that were originally going to be cut down (the BTA was driving that tree rescue operation ...)

I think the signage could be better at the West end of the Guildford train station - the path simply ends and then starts again on the other side of the river. It would be useful if cyclists are directed to cross the railway line and proceed towards the bridge.

But other than that there is now a pretty good quality path from the edge of the CBD to the edge of Midland...

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:23 am

CycleSnail wrote:But other than that there is now a pretty good quality path from the edge of the CBD to the edge of Midland...
I agree, the Midland line is getting plenty of attention. Also at Bayswater station they look to be connecting the PSP either side of the carpark so we'll no longer have to ride through it. They have realigned the carpark kerb so there is a PSP sized space along the train line fence.

Not sure what their plan is for the pedestrian crossing at the east end of the station, it could create some issues like at City West station.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:32 am

Red Rider wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:But other than that there is now a pretty good quality path from the edge of the CBD to the edge of Midland...
I agree, the Midland line is getting plenty of attention. Also at Bayswater station they look to be connecting the PSP either side of the carpark so we'll no longer have to ride through it. They have realigned the carpark kerb so there is a PSP sized space along the train line fence.

Not sure what their plan is for the pedestrian crossing at the east end of the station, it could create some issues like at City West station.
This was sent out this week, in relation to Bayswater station, but it doesn't show a diagram of the completed project.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:45 pm

rolandp wrote:
Red Rider wrote:Not sure what their plan is for the pedestrian crossing at the east end of the station, it could create some issues like at City West station.
This was sent out this week, in relation to Bayswater station, but it doesn't show a diagram of the completed project.