New PSP - Guildord Station to East Street

wellington_street

Re: New PSP - Guildord Station to East Street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Bit too conspiracy theory for me cj7hawk but I think the biggest issue is the steep grade from the river up to the bridge and the hairpin bend. Neither are great and that's a big contributor why cyclists will use the Success Hill station bridge instead.

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:38 pm

I agree that $2.5 seems ridiculous for a pre-existing path!
I'm pretty sure that the previous PSP extension up to Success Hill cost $3.5million and that included grade separation at Lord Street.

Other than fixing the previously mentioned steep grade changes and including lighting, I'm not really sure what else can be done.

I'm also intrigued why this work continues the PSP under the rail bridge to Guildford Road. The PSP has been getting extended on the northern side of rail tracks on both sides of Swan for the last few years. It makes no sense for this work to guide you back under the rail bridge to the southern side of the tracks.

It would help if Main Roads (or whoever is doing this work) would state where the mythical cycle bridge over the swan is planned for long term.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:07 am

Pretty sure the PSP bridge will be on the northern side of the rail line but thats years away. WABN Plan listed a fair few higher priority projects which will consume the available funding e.g. Glendalough to Stirling, Fremantle PSP extensions.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:41 pm

wellington_street wrote:Bit too conspiracy theory for me cj7hawk but I think the biggest issue is the steep grade from the river up to the bridge and the hairpin bend. Neither are great and that's a big contributor why cyclists will use the Success Hill station bridge instead.
So you're saying the radius and grade leading to the grassy knoll on the banks is the real reason... I see what you did there ;) LoL!

I haven't seen any cyclists use the Success Hill station bridge - I tried it once, and it's a PITA. The bend/grade I can deal with, albeit with assistance. But surely they only need to put in some lighting and fix the bend/grade then.... But I can't think of anywhere else on the Perth/Midland line that they have a 3m wide section of path, and that's the last place I'd expect it-

Do you know where the extra space is going to come from then? Or if they are planning on taking it from the railway side or the housing side?

Thanks
David

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:35 pm

cj7hawk wrote:I haven't seen any cyclists use the Success Hill station bridge - I tried it once, and it's a PITA. The bend/grade I can deal with, albeit with assistance. But surely they only need to put in some lighting and fix the bend/grade then.... But I can't think of anywhere else on the Perth/Midland line that they have a 3m wide section of path, and that's the last place I'd expect it-

Do you know where the extra space is going to come from then? Or if they are planning on taking it from the railway side or the housing side?
No idea unfortunately I haven't seen any plans for the works - these things tend not to get released to the public, unlike for road projects :(

There is now a crappy map on the Main Roads website which shows that the hairpin will be replaced by a path that runs parallel to the river, climbing up to meet Guildford Rd path at a T-junction.

Diversion is via the station footbridge

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56 pm

I took a couple of pictures of the Railway Parade to Guildford Road works earlier today.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:45 am

Thanks scotchegg

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:38 pm

This is not good. Now the concrete is on, it looks like they are removing the bike path and replacing it with stairs....

So, they just spend $2.5 Million to upgrade 100m of path, from Bike path budget, to destroy the bike path. :evil: Also, note that the steep gradient at the northern end has not been touched. :evil:

I rode by the bridge in Guildford this morning and took my camera. I was really disappointed with what I saw.

Note - Nothing has been done to the path on the right -it's the same as it ever was... Same approach, same rise. Same Gradient. They left that alone.

Absolutely massive works going on here eh? All for a "bike path"... Ahh, well, I guess that's where the allocated funds came from.

Maybe the'll soften the gradient on the southern side of this path...

Yes, indeed, they are making it easier to climb our bikes up here... By replacing the perfectly good bike path.... :evil: WITH STAIRS :evil:

No wonder they released the plans the same day they started work - they are screwing us. :(

David

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:49 pm

I suspect these are not stairs, but the footings for the retaining wall
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:08 pm

CycleSnail wrote:I suspect these are not stairs, but the footings for the retaining wall
:oops: So I may have the wrong end of the stick then?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:25 pm

I think cycle snail is correct. The path will be on the high side to reduce the gradient to the bridge path.

Looking really good!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:35 pm

Great photos cj7hawk, I also concur with CycleSnail.
Should be a big improvement.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:15 pm

Looks like footings to me....

well spotted

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Also, the project is scheduled until early 2016 so they still have a few more months to fix up the gradient going under the rail bridge.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Current state of works - That''s a big pile of limestone blocks !

Regards
David

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:41 pm

softy wrote:Looks like footings to me....

well spotted
Well, turns out it's not footings. It's a retaining wall. A very wide retaining wall. I can only assume that the path will sit on the upper side of the wall -

David

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 am

cj7hawk wrote:

well spotted
Well, turns out it's not footings. It's a retaining wall. A very wide retaining wall. I can only assume that the path will sit on the upper side of the wall -

David
The guys are right.....the concrete 'steps' were the footings for the limestone wall to sit on that you see today. Don't worry :lol: all will be good with a nice graded PSP for bikes and wheelchairs etc

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:22 am

NASHIE wrote:
cj7hawk wrote:

well spotted

David
The guys are right.....the concrete 'steps' were the footings for the limestone wall to sit on that you see today. Don't worry :lol: all will be good with a nice graded PSP for bikes and wheelchairs etc
Oops. you are right - for some reason I thought someone said something about rails - I guess I was still wrong either way - :oops:

jcdewit

Postby jcdewit » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Path along the railway is shaping up.
These photos are from Meadow street railway crossing to the East and West.
The bitumen is ready up to Waylen street in the East.
The section along the car park towards Perth is not ready yet.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:32 pm

The path looks good, pity the fence is way too close to it though.

Austroads guidelines are for an absolute minimum 0.5m clearance between the edge of the path and an obstruction, it looks like the fence would be lucky to be 15cm from the edge of the path.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Scott_C wrote:The path looks good, pity the fence is way too close to it though.

Austroads guidelines are for an absolute minimum 0.5m clearance between the edge of the path and an obstruction, it looks like the fence would be lucky to be 15cm from the edge of the path.
Report to MainRoads asking what standard has been used at this location.

I did this for the new section of the northern PSP, and failed to get a response until I wrote to Minister of Transport. Unfortunately the response from the Office of Minister of Transport was very poor, so maybe they will have a better answer now. In particular, following the Audit last year on cycling infrastructure.

jcdewit

Postby jcdewit » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Scott_C wrote:The path looks good, pity the fence is way too close to it though.

The new path along the Graham Farmer Freeway in East Perth has zero separation between the edge of the path and the barrier (left hand side going East). They just painted a continuous white line on the LHS, which is presumably the edge. They might do the same for the PSP in Guildford.
That's OK by me, but I don't know what the official regulation states.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:22 am

I think you will find asphalt is around 3.6m wide so once the 3m wide psp line markings go down you will be close to your 0.5m minimum, i.e. 0.3m asphalt shoulder and 0.2m limestone shoulder which it looks close

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:14 pm

It is my understanding that in the original design of that route about 40 verge trees were marked to be cut down. On-site meetings with MRWA and other discussions resulted in a solution that meant most of the trees could be kept (see photo).

I can live with the outcome, even if it possible violates the Austroads guidelines.

(Actually, in this location I proposed that the adjoining road should be made one way, with an elevated and separated PSP using the other lane space, saving perhaps $1mio? I was told that MRWA does not support second rate infrastructure solutions.....)
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:23 pm

CycleSnail wrote:.... I was told that MRWA does not support second rate infrastructure solutions.....)
Did you get this in writing as I can name several lengths of all PSP's that are not first rate?