Safer Cycling and the Urban Road Environment study

rolandp

Safer Cycling and the Urban Road Environment study

Postby rolandp » Thu May 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Was handed a slapband at Hutton St crossing and asked to complete this survey:
http://c-marc.curtin.edu.au/safercycling/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone else asked to fill in this survey?

From the site:
Welcome

Welcome to the ‘Safer Cycling and the Urban Road Environment’ study. We are currently recruiting cyclists to take part in our study. Please follow the link below to participate if:
◾You have been given one of the ‘Safer Cycling’ study slapbands while out on the road OR
◾You participate in bunch/ peloton riding in Perth and have heard about the study elsewhere.

What is the ‘Safer Cycling’ study?

Curtin University, in partnership with Monash University are undertaking an exciting new study examining cycling in the urban road environment. The findings of this study will be used to develop prototypes for new road designs aimed at improving cyclist safety. The study also aims to gain an understanding of issues surrounding group and bunch cycling.

Thoglette

Re: Safer Cycling and the Urban Road Environment study

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 14, 2015 11:57 pm

rolandp wrote:.... an exciting new study examining cycling in the urban road environment. The findings of this study will be used to develop prototypes for new road designs aimed at improving cyclist safety. The study also aims to gain an understanding of issues surrounding group and bunch cycling.
Anything that says "exciting new study" worries me immediately.

Fortunately, the website is a bit more serious. And Prof. Meuleners has some stripes. - but hasn't been on my radar. I have some reading to do!

So does @aushiker
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri May 15, 2015 2:48 pm

The information gained from this study will lead to the design and testing of safer road designs for cyclists. From this, solutions that reduce the risk of road trauma for cyclists will be discovered.
I am always happy when people are concerned about the safety of people riding bicycles.

I think we already know how to create a safer on-road environment - it involves lowering speeds on roads where people on bicycles and car traffic are mixed, or separation of road users. A convenient, connected and safe network or routes will make cycling to work, school, shops or train stations safer. I think we are at the stage where we can plan, fund and build such a network. What is needed is additional funding to DO things....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 15, 2015 4:28 pm

It seems I am not eligible to participate ...
All cyclists who have received a slapband or participate in bunch/ peloton riding are invited to complete an online survey about you, your cycling habits and behaviours, road use, bicycle infrastructure and safety
Lucky you Roland :)

Andrew

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu May 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Just got 2 cameras (contours) as part of this study. I will be pelotonised for the next little while

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 21, 2015 9:56 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Just got 2 cameras (contours) as part of this study. I will be pelotonised for the next little while
I really, really hope the focus is not fully on 'pelotonised'. I haven't been approached to participate in the next phase of the study (cameras) even though I ride at least 5 days a week travelling over 250k's, on both shared paths and roads. But, I don't ride in group rides, but thought with my distance I would have been suitable.

To participate in the study, you were given a 'tag' which happened to me, or you heard about this study and you ride in group rides. So this then ruled out people like Aushiker, Cyclesnail, who are also long riding commuters.

Would be interested even anyone has been approached for the camera part, and who doesn't ride in groups.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu May 21, 2015 10:25 pm

AFAIK there are 2 aspects to the study- the fully focused pelotonised video footage and the tag people (not sure what this involves but the tags where handed out at "identified cycling black spots").
I did make the comment that most of my worse vehicle/driver encounters have been when riding alone (this is mostly what I do - commuting), not in groups