Someone just tried to run me down :(

Thoglette

Re: Someone just tried to run me down :(

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:26 pm

Troy C wrote:I spoke to someone that was involved in this yesterday. The police are and will not do anything about it.
Not knowing if that is the "attending officer" or someone higher up in the chain, here is
the escallation process

Followed up by a call to the Minister for Transport Dean "I ride a bike" Nader and the Minster for Road Safety, Police (&tc) Liza Harvey. Details here

I would like to think that the two prime advocacy groups will be following up in their next "quiet chat".
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 am

Organized protest anyone? Even a small group of cyclists could make quite a bit of noise...

Especially if the police are not willing to protect our safety...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 am

cj7hawk wrote:Organized protest anyone? Even a small group of cyclists could make quite a bit of noise...

We're rather short of facts at this point. Particularly about where in the process the Injured Party is.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 am

Troy C wrote:I spoke to someone that was involved in this yesterday. The police are and will not do anything about it.
Was this from an attending officer, or local police station ? As there was injuries both the driver and cyclists would be required to report the crash (https://www.crashreport.com.au/ocrf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) The State Crash Vetting Unit are the department that deals with these, once they are loaded into the Police system. When I dealt with them last year there was a three month backlog of loading cases before they are looked at.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:59 pm

cj7hawk wrote:Organized protest anyone? Even a small group of cyclists could make quite a bit of noise...

I am assuming you that you are proposing this on the basis of Troy C post.

I'd suggest, if so, that you are a bit premature in calling for a protest. I take not quite as much said on these forums with grain of salt as I do with statements by motorists that dislike cyclists.

We need to be a little selective when going the activist route. The boy who cried wolf and all that.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:55 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:

I am assuming you that you are proposing this on the basis of Troy C post.

I'd suggest, if so, that you are a bit premature in calling for a protest. I take not quite as much said on these forums with grain of salt as I do with statements by motorists that dislike cyclists.

We need to be a little selective when going the activist route. The boy who cried wolf and all that.
Even without considering the possible outcomes of the incident, I'm not sure there's any political focus on the problem to begin with - Enforcing the current laws doesn't really provide any protection and it's the job of the police to enforce the laws, not to change driver behavior. So the real problem is still what the video shows. Whether or not the police take action post-accident is just consequential.

David.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:20 am

[quote="cj7hawk"d it's the job of the police to enforce the laws, not to change driver behavior. So the real problem is still what the video shows. Whether or not the police take action post-accident is just consequential.

David.[/quote]

Not picking on you but I reckon the police try to change the behavior of road users all the time, Otherwise we wouldn't have any road safety campaigns.
This was an attempt to change behavior.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:52 pm

outnabike wrote:[quote="cj7hawk"d it's the job of the police to enforce the laws, not to change driver behavior. So the real problem is still what the video shows. Whether or not the police take action post-accident is just consequential.

David.
Not picking on you but I reckon the police try to change the behavior of road users all the time, Otherwise we wouldn't have any road safety campaigns.
This was an attempt to change behavior.
[/quote]

I see your point and quite often I get involved in establishing links between community and policing and am familiar with their campaigns - but except when they get involved in a program outside of stuff that's purely police work, they rarely have the time for such matters, and it's questionable whether they should be involved in matters if there's no laws being broken ( or the laws are vague, or difficult to enforce, or otherwise problematic ) - Generally it involves finding officers willing to put in the effort and have a personal interest in the outcome and frequently it's in their own time.

That said, I'm pretty sure Dean Nalder said an education campaign was needed back at the ABC forum on bikes and I can't recall seeing anything of late that would qualify - the efforts of the biking community itself notwithstanding.

Regards
David

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks David,
I often wonder if a cardboard cut-out similar to that would help us out.
A few weeks ago I was doing a right hand turn and signalling right. Of course I was almost on the white line and had my right hand out. Just going up the road, and cameras back home recharging.
I was happily about to turn when a car buzzes me on the right hand side, blasting his horn, cuts me off and goes hard left to get back into my lane. All the time this hoon is screaming out how I shouldn't be in the centre of the road.
He did this with an oncoming car that I was going to turn in front of as I had room, but of course I couldn't proceed.
So we have a car coming towards us almost stopping due to the Hoon, the hoon with his big red angry head sticking out the window explaining the road rules, (wheels over the centre line) and yelling that he was going to "smash” me.
He was very surprised when I followed him around the corner to complete my right hand turn and his manner was visibly calmed. I just yelled; "I am making a right turn"
Well this must have explained to the fool why I was on the centre line with my hand out.
Thankfully up the road he went and around a bend.
Me, too busy with life preserving measures, no plate number, car description or even a possibility of identifying the hoon.
I better get more batteries or another camera as a replacement. Even a small trip has its hazards.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers