Someone just tried to run me down :(

eldavo

Re: Someone just tried to run me down :(

Postby eldavo » Thu May 21, 2015 1:12 am

First check on the camera - is it water or weather proof (given we're coming up to the only wet months of our year).
No hits on the ebay page for water or weather, assuming it isn't, I have heard of people spraying things like this with clear plasti-dip that may protect it enough from rain and road spray. Flexible to allow button use.

PS: given the guy who hit and run down/crushing the younger rider managing to not kill him in front of two detectives got away with a 12 month license suspension, I'd expect video evidence to have only an entertainment value within the terms of the law. The acknowledgement of a vehicle as a lethal weapon... sorry there is no acknowledgement!

Speaking of video for entertainment and injustice, Eugene McGee:

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu May 21, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Eldavo,

No, it's not waterproof - not even close - :( But the waterproof ones were not as good in terms of technology, so I got the better camera - I'll just 3D print up a housing for it with a clear window.

Regards
David.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:36 pm

I feel your pain

Last Friday I was riding through Lidcombe. I am approaching where the road veers right 90 deg so I put my arm out so that everybody knows what I am doing. A twit in a honda decides to brush my hand with his car as we approach this corner.
I ask through the closed window "Really?".
He brakes and I think that it is done. He then decides that he wants to sit on the horn. After I finish the turn, I look back and ask him "Whats the problem?". He pulls up next to me. I knock on the window. He proceeds to get out of the car.
I throw my bike onto the grass. He approaches me very aggressively. I push him away three times. The fourth time he comes at me, I grab him on the shoulder, put my leg behind his and throw him to the ground with me ending up on top of him (not quite sure how I did this but it worked). I ask him calmly "Are you done?". He replies "No". I ask him again "Are you done?" He replies again "No". At this point I was about to get very aggressive with this man, when two large guys pull me off him and gently ask me to calm down. A third drags the fool away. He still wants to have a go at me, I am still not sure why. I simply repeat over and over again until he leaves "MY LIFE IS NOT WORTH LESS THAN YOURS".
At this point, The large gentleman convinces him to leave.
The Contour HD is back on my helmet and I have ordered a Fly6 . . .
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Well, I heard nothing back from the police, which, to be fair, is about what I expected to hear from them given I didn't have any video evidence...

Thank you all for the help and suggestions -

The first wrongdoer was caught on camera and reported... And is being followed up by the local community police, who put in a lot of effort to keep our suburbs safe.

Makes me feel like a vigilante... Cycling by night, my high-vis capelet flowing in the breeze, the sound of my half-muted-k-mart bell the harbinger of my video-enforced justice, before I speak huskily through effort-parched throat...

I'm bikeman

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:29 pm

That won't do, not enough high-vis stickers and day-glo paint on it.
Even my newest bike's got black brand/model stickering that is reflective from factory =D

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:23 pm

This happen in Midland last Saturday morning
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Holy Crom, is everyone OK?! :shock:

That looked really nothing short of quite deliberate.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

roller

Postby roller » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Lizzy wrote:Holy Crom, is everyone OK?! :shock:
Some friends involved in this, I heard there were a few cuts and scrapes and a visit to the hospital, but no extended stay or lasting damage (fortunately).

[Only permanent damage is to the idea of "society" that we're meant to be living in.]
Lizzy wrote:That looked really nothing short of quite deliberate.
That was the feeling they had, fortunately they got the guy's numberplate, so combined with the footage I expect there should be consequences, I doubt they will be hefty though.
inflammatory statement or idea

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:15 pm

If I express what I think about this incident and the perpetrator I will probably be suspended. So use your imagination :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:27 pm

wellington_street wrote:If I express what I think about this incident and the perpetrator I will probably be suspended. So use your imagination :)
Imagination not needed - on the same page as you.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm sure the driver will get a mild rap on the knuckles. But not too hard of course, we're only cyclists, not real people.

Glad everyone's okay.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 pm

Any details of the vehicle so the rest of us can look out for it?

Thanks
David

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:42 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
wellington_street wrote:If I express what I think about this incident and the perpetrator I will probably be suspended. So use your imagination :)
Imagination not needed - on the same page as you.
I'd have to ban meself :evil:
EDIT: Keep the audio, mongrel booted it hard and his stupid attempted dickmove at the start of the pinch point may raise some eyebrows too.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:26 am

This has made national morning shows on TV. Only seven repeats of the actual hit shown, none of the lead up to see what actually happened. Hope the book is thrown at the driver, and it's a large one (but not holding breath)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:56 am

Was there ever an outcome to this? Was an arrest made of the driver. Should be charged with attempted murder.

roller

Postby roller » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Yagan wrote:Was there ever an outcome to this? Was an arrest made of the driver. Should be charged with attempted murder.
Have heard only charged with "leaving the scene of an accident" (injuries weren't severe enough to warrant further charges)
inflammatory statement or idea

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:18 pm

roller wrote:Have heard only charged with "leaving the scene of an accident" (injuries weren't severe enough to warrant further charges)
Pigs!

Should also be charged for offences under
1. Road Traffic Code 2000 Rule 124(b) - passing "shall not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past that vehicle to avoid a collision with that vehicle or to avoid obstructing the path of that vehicle."
Penalty: 2 points and 8 PU

And, given that it was actually, clearly dangerous, "reckless driving" should be used especially as the law specifically allows the charge to be downgraded to Dangerous or Careless driving at conviction.

2. Road traffic act 1974 (as amended).
60.Reckless driving (1)Every person who wilfully drives a motor vehicle in a manner (which expression includes speed) that is inherently dangerous or that is, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, dangerous to the public or to any person commits an offence.
120 PU or to imprisonment for 9 month

61.Dangerous driving (1)Every person who drives a motor vehicle in a manner (which expression includes speed) that is, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, dangerous to the public or to any person commits an offence.
60 PU;

62.Careless driving "Every person who drives a motor vehicle without due care and attention commits an offence."
Penalty: 12 PU.

(from the act, 60 & 61 quoting first offence penalties
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. Until there is significant penalties for this type of incident it isn't going to change people attitude to cyclists and recognise their right to use the road.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Penalties alone will do jack without a bit of enforcement
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

1talian.steel

Postby 1talian.steel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 pm

When these events go to court, time and time again the defence lawyers will argue that the judge should disregard the (serious) injuries or other consequences that occurred, and should only base judgement on the law that was broken. Here we clearly have driving that directly and inescapably led to an accident, and that any reasonable individual would anticipate that there was a clear risk of serious injury. However, the convention that the enforcement agencies follow is that you can only charge with a serious crime if there is a serious outcome, and this is especially the case based on incidents involving motor vehicles. This asymmetry in process does not lead to fair and equitable outcomes.

softy

Postby softy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:21 pm

The reality is;

There is alot of hate out there for cyclists, I see it on FB all the time and they know I cycle. Groups especially are hated.

I have had many punishment passes and abuse yelled at me, for just roading down the roads.

A lot of motorists believe bicycles should be off the road, where they go they don't reallly care.

You need to be extra vigiliant, I try to keep to cycleways and back streets as much as I can to avoid this behaviour.

The really sad thing is when there is a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, this country sees it as a mister meanor, even when it results in serious injury or death. So many examples of this.
Very sad! :(

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:10 am

Thoglette wrote:
roller wrote:Have heard only charged with "leaving the scene of an accident" (injuries weren't severe enough to warrant further charges)
Pigs!

Should also be charged for offences under
1. Road Traffic Code 2000 Rule 124(b) - passing "shall not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past that vehicle to avoid a collision with that vehicle or to avoid obstructing the path of that vehicle."
Penalty: 2 points and 8 PU

And, given that it was actually, clearly dangerous, "reckless driving" should be used especially as the law specifically allows the charge to be downgraded to Dangerous or Careless driving at conviction.

2. Road traffic act 1974 (as amended).
60.Reckless driving (1)Every person who wilfully drives a motor vehicle in a manner (which expression includes speed) that is inherently dangerous or that is, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, dangerous to the public or to any person commits an offence.
120 PU or to imprisonment for 9 month

61.Dangerous driving (1)Every person who drives a motor vehicle in a manner (which expression includes speed) that is, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, dangerous to the public or to any person commits an offence.
60 PU;

62.Careless driving "Every person who drives a motor vehicle without due care and attention commits an offence."
Penalty: 12 PU.

(from the act, 60 & 61 quoting first offence penalties
Also should have at least 1 count of crossing an unbroken centreline and 1 count of driving not wholly within one lane.

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:29 pm

I spoke to someone that was involved in this yesterday. The police are and will not do anything about it.
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Troy C wrote:I spoke to someone that was involved in this yesterday. The police are and will not do anything about it.
Disgusting from WAPol. What is their excuse?

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:43 pm

As I said on fb in response to Cycle West re this incident I am responsible for my own safety when riding on the road. I will not and do not rely on the judgement of another road user. While this means that I have to make special effort, the alternative isn't all that palatable.

I recognise that drivers have a responsibility on the road to intentionally or inadvertantly not run into other road users. The reality is unfortunately not reflective of this.

While the laws are there to protect vulnerable road users, both adhering to and following of by drivers/law enforecement seems a different story.

Long story short would you rather be riding to protect your life and be right, or riding according to the laws and be dead right.

As an observation, and in no way making the driver's actions in this incident right, If I knew the road where this occurred, knew where the pinch points were, and realised it was a bit dark, I wouldn't be riding 1.5 meters from the kerb.
softy wrote:The reality is;

There is alot of hate out there for cyclists, I see it on FB all the time and they know I cycle. Groups especially are hated.

I have had many punishment passes and abuse yelled at me, for just roading down the roads.

A lot of motorists believe bicycles should be off the road, where they go they don't reallly care.

You need to be extra vigiliant, I try to keep to cycleways and back streets as much as I can to avoid this behaviour.

The really sad thing is when there is a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, this country sees it as a mister meanor, even when it results in serious injury or death. So many examples of this.
Very sad! :(
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7