Auxiliary plates available for car mounted bike racks

dmwill

Auxiliary plates available for car mounted bike racks

Postby dmwill » Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Cannot find the original thread about increased fines for obscuring number plates on cars (particularly in the case of a rear mounted bike rack).

DPI are finally offering Auxiliary plates for use on bike racks, etc;

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensin ... plates.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red Rider

Re: Auxiliary plates available for car mounted bike racks

Postby Red Rider » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm

The original thread contained a handy update from Knox_Harrington quoting changes to the legislation which no longer makes it an offence to obscure the rear licence plate by particular things, including bike racks or bikes.
(10) A person does not commit an offence under subregulation (2),
(3), (6) or (7) if the thing that is preventing the whole or part of
a character on the plate from being read is —
(a) a tow ball fitted to the rear of the vehicle; or
(b) a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of the vehicle; or
(c) a bicycle carried on a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of
the vehicle.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=76763&start=25

I have not verified the accuracy of this post with the official document or confirmed it's interpretation. But this seems legit so I'm not sure where this places DoT's directive on auxiliary plates.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Cost is $24 (plus a visit to your friendly Licensing Center (which will probably cost more in terms of lost time....). For $24 I will get one so that I avoid any argument as to whether or not I needed one.

Just tried and you need to register for DOT Direct - a 5 day wait now while they send me a code!. Oh well,

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon May 18, 2015 4:15 pm

I guess that legislation was just to cover us until they introduced the plates. No doubt they will be compulsory at some stage.

A bit backwards having to wait 5 days for a code to arrive by snail mail just to register online.

Price of plates has gone up too. I got new plates for my car a few years back, was $18/pair!

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon May 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Well, it's about time. Whenever I load four bikes on my platform racks I wonder when I will be pulled over for obscured plates. Why is WA always a few decades behind?

zmk

Postby zmk » Mon May 18, 2015 6:47 pm

I researched this a fair bit recently and got a hitch mounted bike rack I keep on my car with and without a bicycle on the back.

Road Traffic (Licensing) Regulations 1975
http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation/st ... ncies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current version of this document:
http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/FileS ... penElement

obscuring device means a device the use or operation of which
would result in a plate on a vehicle being in an ID prevention
state but does not include —
(a) a tow ball fitted to the rear of a vehicle; or
(b) a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of a vehicle; or
(c) a bicycle carried on a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of a
vehicle;

You're all clear!

Auxiliary plates has just sneakily arrived so I'm sure the traffic act will me amended soon.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon May 18, 2015 11:15 pm

ball bearing wrote:Why is WA always a few decades behind?
Wait Awhile.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 19, 2015 10:02 pm

And yet from the DoT link provided in the original post:
Each character (letters and numbers) of a number plate must be clearly visible when the vehicle is used on the road. If you attach a bike rack or mobility device rack to the rear of your vehicle and it or the load obstructs any character on the number plate from being read, you will need to purchase and affix an auxiliary plate.

Marketing attempt by DoT to sell these plates?

as7431

Postby as7431 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 pm

Is anyone surprised that DOT don't know the rules? As zmk said, rules could well now be updated. I think $24 is cheap to avoid a potential debate with Constable "I don't really know the road rules" about whether or not obscuring my number plate with bikes on a carrier is legal or not. I also sometimes carry bikes on the back of my camper trailer. I wonder if I can get one for that.....

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Wed May 20, 2015 8:22 am

What if you bike(s) hanging of your tow ball obstruct your tail lights?

Surely this will attract a fined?
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed May 20, 2015 1:30 pm

R12RT wrote:What if you bike(s) hanging of your tow ball obstruct your tail lights?

Surely this will attract a fined?
Possibly. Depends what kind of mood Mr Plod is in I guess.

Personally, I run a light bar on the back of my rack. Although my tail lights are somewhat visible through the bike wheels, I don't want to take my chances of having some bonehead running into the back of me and crushing my bikes, then claim they did not see my lights.

I built a light bar myself because the genuine Thule one was a rip off ($129 + $20 for fitting brackets) and flimsy looking, also uses standard halogen globes and not LEDs.

~1m 50x30mm box section aluminium, slimline LED trailer lights, wiring and plug as required and the $20 right-angle Thule brackets so I could fit it to my rack. Space to fit plate too.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Wed May 20, 2015 10:06 pm

dmwill wrote:DPI are finally offering Auxiliary plates for use on bike racks, etc;
The availability of these plates is terrific news for plenty of our WA bicycle carrier customers travelling interstate. Other states demand that an authorized plate is displayed - but if you were from WA, it meant having to remove the plate from the car and affix it to the rear of the bicycle carrier. SA was dynamite with visitors from WA. Even if you had a home made plate you'd be pinged for obscuring the authorised plate *and* pinged again for displaying a non-authorised plate. $1k fine, thanks for visiting, have a nice day.

Bit by bit we're getting consistency between the states and territories.... Phew.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems