New PSP Design - Tonkin between Colier and Benara

scotchegg

New PSP Design - Tonkin between Colier and Benara

Postby scotchegg » Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Recently added video of the grade separation design of Tonkin Highway north of Guildford Road.
Whilst the video is concentrating on the interchange designs, you will notice an awesome PSP that is also grade separated all the way along! With numerous tunnels/bridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vls8mIL ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It might be a long way off, but its great to see more dedicated PSP being designed.

It should also hook up well with the Gateway PSP on Tonkin.

rusty842

Re: New PSP Design - Tonkin between Colier and Benara

Postby rusty842 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:17 pm

This looks great

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 25, 2015 12:46 am

That video was incredibly accurate too ! Not a single vehicle merging throughout - Just like WA.

Anyway, that PSP looks awesome - :)

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon May 25, 2015 11:08 am

Hopefully it's not accurate as I noticed that the PSP doesn't actually connect to anything along the entire length. Hopefully we get a proper PSP that involves a new bridge over the rail line and Guildford Rd, and has useful local connections.

Also that Morley Drive interchange is going to be horrendous for any non-car users. The video shows the path will be blocked by queuing vehicles and apparently there will be zebra crossings on the roundabout exits :?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 25, 2015 12:40 pm

wellington_street wrote:Hopefully it's not accurate as I noticed that the PSP doesn't actually connect to anything along the entire length. Hopefully we get a proper PSP that involves a new bridge over the rail line and Guildford Rd, and has useful local connections.

Also that Morley Drive interchange is going to be horrendous for any non-car users. The video shows the path will be blocked by queuing vehicles and apparently there will be zebra crossings on the roundabout exits :?
It's not exactly right - There's bike paths marked over the top that terminate nowhere also, no signs or traffic lights, and no indication of how bikes use the bridges either, or where they go through - Also, there's missing infrastructure - But generally it looks like what happens is that after you get off the PSP, you're contending with the traffic over the top of the bridge -

The worst case is shared traffic lights without specific signals for pedestrians - I have no idea what is planned there -

Wouldn't it be nice is they mapped out the entire city, made changes to it virtually, and let us play through it - GTA 6 Perth City ... :) Then the public could play it and find the problems in virtual before they start building it - in between stealing cars, assassinating people and stuff.. Heck, I'd settle for access to the 3D model data assuming it's accurate -

Regards
David.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon May 25, 2015 5:05 pm

scotchegg wrote:Recently added video of the grade separation design of Tonkin Highway north of Guildford Road.
Whilst the video is concentrating on the interchange designs, you will notice an awesome PSP that is also grade separated all the way along! With numerous tunnels/bridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vls8mIL ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It might be a long way off, but its great to see more dedicated PSP being designed.

It should also hook up well with the Gateway PSP on Tonkin.
It would appear that this is "positive provisioning" at work - all major road projects, specially if they include federal funding, are meant to include cycling infrastructure. The groundwork for this was done by cycling advocacy organisations more than ten years ago. When you hear a politician remarking that "we spent $120m in the last four years on cycling" or "$72m in the next four years" this would include the federal money on these large projects such as the Gateway (22km of cycling infrastructure).

This would appear to be a very preliminary sketch that will be improved as the projects draws closer. Does anybody have a timeline for this? I would suspect it is well beyond the next election cycle....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon May 25, 2015 5:15 pm

CycleSnail wrote:This would appear to be a very preliminary sketch that will be improved as the projects draws closer. Does anybody have a timeline for this? I would suspect it is well beyond the next election cycle....
Main Roads website says that construction of the Tonkin grade-separations will start in 2016.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:15 am

If we're seeing potential problems it's probably a good idea to be contacting MR now? I don't know enough to make an informed comment about such things, though.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Can't wait for this one.....

Looks awesome!

firstknight

Postby firstknight » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:24 am

Hi ya guys... may i know what is PSP stands for?

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:15 am

PSP stands for Principal Shared Path which are generally provided by Main Roads WA alongside major highways, freeways and railway corridors. Because they are primarily intended for fast commuter cycling they really should be dedicated bike paths although they save space and cost by remaining shared with pedestrians. That then means cyclists are required to give way to peds at all times.

PSPs should not be confused with regular shared paths and Recreational Shared Paths (RSPs) which are generally provided by local governments and are far more intensely used by pedestrians and according to Austroads guidelines should only be appropriate for slower speed cycling (20 km/h).

firstknight

Postby firstknight » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:48 am

Thanks citywomble for the great information...

Any idea when tonkin PSP is going to be completed?

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:59 am

I believe the whole upgrade is due sometime around 2019 - I think that's finished but I could be wrong.