Perth Cycle Ring

rolandp

Perth Cycle Ring

Postby rolandp » Sat May 30, 2015 11:39 am

Perth Cycle Ring
The Perth Cycle Ring report sets out a high-level vision for the next stage of growth for the Perth bike lane network. It has been written and endorsed by a diverse group of local community organisations.

Make sure you click on the PDF link to see their suggestion, as the web site is currently just a holding page.

Thoughts? Would you use a cycling ring route which includes Stirling, Fremantle and Curtin?

I love that someone/some group is thinking of alternatives.

cj7hawk

Re: Perth Cycle Ring

Postby cj7hawk » Sat May 30, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm disappointed that this proposal doesn't include anything to address the toxic transport shadow of Perth Airport. If all of the long term funds to bicycle infrastructure are allocated here, it will leave this area completely unaddressed.

There is a massive amount of roadworks in this area, all made bicycle unfriendly. It's great for cars, but impossibly dangerous for cyclists - because all the roads connecting the suburbs in this area are high speed ( eg, 100 kph ) with no cycling paths - There's a few here and there, but Roe Hwy really ensures that the area will remain cycling-unfriendly for a long time... It badly needs a good cycle path connecting up it's entire length - Unlike other highways in the region, it's pretty major and there's not a lot of choices of other paths around it -

David

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat May 30, 2015 1:24 pm

Cj7hawk it might pay to have a look at the gateway project which is doing all the roadworks and associated bikepaths
http://gatewaywa.com.au/assets/Cycle-Ma ... l-2015.pdf is what they are looking at doing.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat May 30, 2015 1:26 pm

The usual etiquette is to put a name on the report and if it is endorsed then list those organisations involved.
You'd get a better traffic solution by lobbying for a ring public rail line around Perth, as opposed to the rail lines all radiating out, and usually what follows the building of a new rail line is the building of adjacent bike paths. The new rail line would get those people out of cars who wouldn't necessarily want to cycle to work.

Thoglette

Re: Perth Cycle Ring - who the hell are they?

Postby Thoglette » Sat May 30, 2015 1:51 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:The usual etiquette is to put a name on the report and if it is endorsed then list those organisations involved.
+ several.

Frankly a link to a pseudo anonymous "wix" is going to go way down my list of "is it worth even clicking?"

Who the hell is it?
just4tehhalibut wrote:You'd get a better traffic solution by lobbying for a ring public rail line around Perth,
+ several more
Last edited by Thoglette on Sat May 30, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sat May 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Cj7hawk it might pay to have a look at the gateway project which is doing all the roadworks and associated bikepaths
http://gatewaywa.com.au/assets/Cycle-Ma ... l-2015.pdf is what they are looking at doing.
Thank you Baalzamon - That's useful information -

Though it appears to stop at Berkshire road :( Hopefully at some stage they'll decide there's a justification for a path all the way up Roe to Midland -

David -

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat May 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Thoglette wrote:Who the hell is it?
Logos from BTA, Bike Doctor and a bunch of local (mostly eastern) suburb groups. No authors listed, no publication date, no funding listed, seems to be published on 1st March by a shadowy :D organisation called the "Vic Park Transition Network" (facebook, since Feb 2014, googlegroups since June 2013). Wikipedia has some information on Transition Towns

It highlights some (low cost) design techniques not utilised in Perth.

Proposes on road infrastructure following the 98/99 bus routes, which isn't a bad thing.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat May 30, 2015 10:05 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Cj7hawk it might pay to have a look at the gateway project which is doing all the roadworks and associated bikepaths

Though it appears to stop at Berkshire road :( Hopefully at some stage they'll decide there's a justification for a path all the way up Roe to Midland -

David -
Justification will presumably be on the basis of estimates of takeup. The area you are concerned with is not as flat as (nor probably as populated as) most of the perth metro so I can understand it being given the back seat. Even relatively affordable cycling infrastructure will be rationalised economically.

Now I see why you are so supportive of powered bikes.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun May 31, 2015 11:55 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
cj7hawk wrote:

David -
Justification will presumably be on the basis of estimates of takeup. The area you are concerned with is not as flat as (nor probably as populated as) most of the perth metro so I can understand it being given the back seat. Even relatively affordable cycling infrastructure will be rationalised economically.

Now I see why you are so supportive of powered bikes.
:) Lots of hills there - Though I referring to the flat areas from the base of the hill to the airport as well - What little cycling infrastructure that does exist there is not connected to anything, so has no real commute value whatsoever... To travel between two adjacent suburbs, you need a car.

If you look at the Green's bicycle map, the issue becomes apparent.

Not only is the bicycle infrastructure through that area unconnected, there are no local roads either - Roe Highway is the only connecting road - So all of these suburbs are basically "cycling islands" - they are cut-off from the rest of WA. I tried to explore down there once or twice... There's no way to get there, because the highway becomes an effective barrier that cycles cannot legally pass and there are no back-roads either - All access to these suburbs was radial from the city - and now they are connected by a highway.

There is about 50m of cycling infrastructure on Roe Hwy in this region, but it's illegal to get to it by bicycle.

It's great for cars, but cannot ever be used by bicycle...

This is all in part why I support powered cycling so much, and there's community advocacy as well, not to mention I like electric and electric hybrid vehicles and have been wanting to put an engine on my bike since I was 6...

But mainly it's because I'm old, fat and lazy. :lol:

I keep looking for a suitable cycling advocacy group to join, but they are slow to catch on to new forms of cycling and groups within those new areas haven't spontaneously formed yet -

Regards
David

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 31, 2015 12:44 pm

This floated a few months ago and the attempts that I am aware of to contact the person or persons behind it fell on deaf ears. Frankly as others have suggested it talks credibility. I would rather see the limited resources spent resolving the issues with the network as it stands (Fremantle access, Northern PSP issues for example) before we worry about "circle networks."

Andrew

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun May 31, 2015 3:06 pm

Thoglette wrote:Frankly a link to a pseudo anonymous "wix" is going to go way down my list of "is it worth even clicking?"

Who the hell is it?
This link from the local newspaper has some more details

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun May 31, 2015 4:38 pm

nachoman wrote:This link from the local newspaper has some more details
Thanks. Gold. @aushiker - author details within.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 am

Ha...I'm looking to buy a house in the area highlighted. No PSP/Cycle Paths according to that map. Which is true, having taken a bit of a drive about as I check out home opens...not a great deal of safe infrastructure at all.

Although it's not a deal breaker, If there is a house I like, I try to see if there are any safe cycling routes to that would get me to the Freeway/City/Coast, etc.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Thoglette wrote:
nachoman wrote:This link from the local newspaper has some more details
Thanks. Gold. @aushiker - author details within.
Thanks. Still not that informed but having not heard of either of the groups mentioned.

Andrew